Clever Tagline: Pie anyone? (Nov 2021)

Comments

• Andersen01498
    Andersen01498 Posts: 1,004 Enthusiast

@Triem23 Haha thats why Clever is in the name Clever tagline :)

• spydurhank
    spydurhank Posts: 3,194 Expert

@CleverTagline ,

Dude, those are super awesome and you've got a great voice for tutorials.

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Posts: 3,315 Ambassador

@Triem23 @Andersen01498 @spydurhank - Thank you!

I decided to put my face in front of the camera for the first time since the Animate in Layers tutorial, with a short message that's part gratitude, part holiday greeting, and part request. I'll likely do more of these in the coming year:

• CleverTagline

If you haven't done so already, vote in the video above for what you'd like to see next! Votes will be tallied on January 1st.

In other news, Clever Tagline now has a Facebook page!

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,061 Ambassador

And now it has a follower!

Still Audio Meters. 

• CleverTagline

My latest test, inspired by something I saw elsewhere. There's some glitching that I don't like, and I've got a couple ideas for how to fix it, but wanted to toss this out anyway.

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,426 Ambassador
  • spydurhank
    spydurhank Posts: 3,194 Expert

That is pretty awesome! :)

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,096 Moderator

@CleverTagline Very inventive!  An animated mobius strip sort of thing!  FWIW, my unrefined eye didn't catch any glitching...

• Triem23

Very nice... I have an idea how you might have gone about this, but there's still a couple things I haven't sussed out yet. Very nice. Quite dimensional. I've watched this at least 10 times and I'm not seeing where you're seeing glitching (but don't know what I'm looking for yet). 

• CleverTagline

@tddavis @Triem23 The glitches are at the left and right edges. I'm using Polar Warp to take a single horizontal strip and wrap it twice into a circle, and there's some glitching where the instances meet because of another effect that's not behaving how I wish it would.

• tddavis

@CleverTagline Watched again and it must be very subtle indeed or watching on a phone isn't big enough for my eyes.  Still unique and inventive on 2nd view btw.

• CleverTagline

@tddavis You're not likely to see the glitchy seams on a phone. Full-screen on a monitor, you'll probably notice them.

I've tried numerous ways to fix the glitchy seams, and also tried some alternate ways of achieving the effect, but it's not working to my satisfaction, so I'm just going to live with what it is.

• DataDesign
    DataDesign Posts: 568 Enthusiast

Because this is impossible to begin with, I can't find any glitch either, and I have a 24in monitor.

• Triem23

@CleverTagline ah, polar warp... My brain came up with the seeds of a different approach... Maybe later I'll try something. My germ of an idea might work better for the bars while polar warp might be better for the text. 

To be a bit less vague the bars might be able to work as two simple 2D shapes rotating (think of the "Ring Restraints" around Zod & Co in the Chris Reeve Superman movies and you might see what came to mind) on Z, while Polar Warp does the text. The graphic shapes rotating and faking the bars would eliminate seams. Since the text doesn't quite meet edge to edge there's space for the warp. 

Immediate impression is your method is more elegant than mine (this happens a lot with you), and would require fewer layers and elements since my current idea requires synching two elements animated different ways. But, again, if I'm on the right track, I can fix the Glitch. 

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Posts: 3,108 Expert

Here is an example of my best guess as to how it is done. This is very rough, but with some refinement, I think I could get it to look right. This was a very fun exercise to play with while I am on a short break for Christmas!

• CleverTagline

@FilmSensei Nice! We're clearly using different techniques, but there are elements of yours that I like more than mine. I'm curious to know how yours was done. Something tells me yours is similar to what @Triem23 described. Here's the skinny on my version:

Text Comp (1920x350): White text over a black plane

Box Comp (4K): 8 instances of Text Comp—four of which have the Invert effect on them—arranged to form a long narrow 3D box (2 per side), with a parent point layer rotating them 180° on the X axis over two seconds. Black and white planes on the ends to extend the box past the comp edge. (In the end, I only ended up using one end of this box, but my first attempt used the full thing.)

Twist Comp (4K): Box comp dropped in twice (end to end), each scaled to 200% on X and positioned -1920 on X (see above). Gradient plane at the bottom of the stack: black to white from left to right. Grade layer above it. Another grade at the top, with two effects: Time Displacement targeting the gradient grade (black: -1 sec, white: .966 sec), which took the box rotation and "twisted" it from left to right; and Polar Warp (Range: 90, End Radius: 1024, Wrap X: Tile). Because of how Time Displacement works, the beginning and end of this comp had missing edges from the twisted box, and the effect also creates some ugly blocky edges, so I then made...

Final Comp (1080p): two instances of Twist Comp trimmed to the good center portion (1 sec to 3 sec), scaled to 40%, and laid end to end.

I then laid three instances of Final Comp end to end on the main Editor timeline for export.

The glitches I mentioned earlier are a result of how Time Displacement works (or doesn't work, in this case). In theory it should be a perfect match from one end to the other, but if you step-frame through mine (for those who don't know, the same frame forward/back hotkeys that HitFilm uses—comma and period—also work in YouTube) and look at the left and right edges, you'll see where the beginning and end of the twist don't always change at the same time. At full speed it'll feel like a slight stutter if you're looking at it, so perhaps "glitch" is the wrong word. I tried numerous ways to correct it, but nothing worked.

• FilmSensei

My version is pretty simple...

I did the whole thing in HitFilm Express V11. All Comps are 1920x1080 and six seconds long. I made a Text Comp with the Text in it (placeholder). I then made a "Black Plane Comp" with a Black Plane scaled to 100% x 30%. I laid two copies of the Text Comp in it and put them side by side. Parenting them both to a Point, I keyframed the point to animate starting with the first text in the middle to the second text in the middle. I then added a Grade Layer and put on a Bezier Warp, adjusting the handles so each side come to a point. That was the key effect (secret sauce as it were).

Then I brought four copies of the Black Plane Comp into a Final Comp and inverted two of them to be black text on a white plane. Then I put a Polar Warp on all of them, sliding them slightly off center to match your video's look. Lastly, I parented them all to a center point and rotated the point 180 degrees. I also added a Bulge Effect, again to make it look more like your video.

I put the Final Comp on the Editor Timeline and copied it so there were two back to back, making it twelve seconds.

Like I said before, it is definitely rough and would need serious refinement to be a final project, but it was fun going through the process of dissecting different ideas and coming up with what I did. Thanks for posting it!

For anyone who is interested, here is the Project File:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/k2g0k62aqd0mpmq/Text_Twisting_Ring.hfp/file

• CleverTagline

Happy New Year!

Back in 2004, I released a 2-CDROM set of video tutorials all about facial animation. After the discs were gone, I moved the content to a site dedicated to streaming educational material, reducing the cost from the original set a good bit. Once that service went kaput, I mentioned on my site in late 2016 that I had plans to share the series for free. Obviously I was slow to act, because it didn't happen in 2017, or 2018. However, during this recent holiday break, I committed to get it done.

And it's done!

• Stargazer54

@CleverTagline Hey, that is awesome Justin!  Thanks for sharing all that hard work with the community.

I skipped through the YouTube vids pretty quickly and it all looks like great information!   But was there supposed to be audio narration on the YouTube videos?  Maybe I'm fat fingering something but they are all silent for me.

• CleverTagline

@Stargazer54 There's definitely audio there. I just double-checked a couple random videos in the series, and the audio works fine for me.

• Stargazer54

Hmm. . . all works fine today.   Pretty weird.  I had checked other youtube vids and could hear audio on those.

Funny thing is I even downloaded one of your tutorials and still had no sound.  I wonder if there was a temporary server issue up the line?

Not sure what was going on, but all good now!

• CleverTagline

With just over half of the vote (out of a whopping 17 votes), the LED-style light meter tutorial will be coming next. And per some earlier discussion about this subject, it's gonna be released in two parts. The script for part one was written last summer, so I should be able to knock it out fairly quickly!

• Triem23

@Stargazer54 mere speculation, but, based on temp server issues, maybe a glitch let you access the file while the streams were still being prepped by Youtube? Like the video was ready but audio hadn't linked yet?

Meh. All good now. I'll have to check these out myself.

• CleverTagline

It's rare when I get to buy new gear, so when the SMOVE Mobile arrived last week I decided to put my spin on an unboxing video. (Most unboxing videos show every little piece in the box. This isn't one of those.) Everything was shot on my iPhone 7, using a little of both cameras, and a mix of resolutions and frame rates, all edited down to 1080p 30fps for the final. Comments & crits are welcome.

• Palacono
    Palacono Posts: 3,423 Enthusiast
    edited January 2019

I think you might be underestimating the ability of people to track down your address from the courier information still visible on the parcel. ;)

Otherwise: liked the style, as usual; but would actually have liked some more examples of the actual gimbal in action. Plus what phone is on it. Walking, jogging, Ninja walking, cycling, etc. because it sort of falls between two stools for me (stools you sit on. It's not that bad :) ).

As a sort of style template for a wider range of unboxing/ humorous review videos:  it works great and I'd be happy to see more.

• CleverTagline

@Palacono Yeah, it's definitely lacking in examples, but I definitely plan on assembling more. In fact, I've got an idea for a future tutorial that needs some test footage, and I've got to run an errand, so chances are the SMOVE is coming with me.

If someone really wants to unearth my address from what's left on that package, they're likely desperate. There are far easier targets out there. Still, I'll definitely put forth the effort next time to obscure more.

• CleverTagline

After several recent discussions where users weren't clear on the order of HitFilm version names and numbers, I decided to make a quick page on my site with a reference table. There will be a link to this from a central Clever Tagline page eventually, but I want to get feedback before putting said link in place. I may eventually make an accompanying video, but I wanted to get this out for now, as I don't think such a reference exists anywhere else. If it does, let me know and I'll nix this and start pointing people to it.

Here's a direct link to the page for now:

https://justinsbarrett.com/hitfilm-version-numbers/

I came on board somewhere around 2 Express, but was a pretty casual user until roughly 4 or so, so I'm sure my understanding of the dates and names (especially when Ultimate became Pro) may not be quite on point. Please let me know what corrections need to be made, and I'll update the page.

• FilmSensei

I want to say off the top of my head that the Pro versions came out in November and the Express versions came out the following May. So for example, HitFilm Pro 2017 (Version 5) came out in November of 2016, but HitFilm Express 2017 (Version 5) came out in May, 2017. Am I remembering that correctly?

• tddavis

@FilmSensei That is my recollection as well, but I havery been wrong before... once..er no, I'm wrong about that. :)