Better performance with Ryzen 7?

I have a Core i7 7600k, 32GB DDR4, and a GTX 1080. I get pretty bad performance in Hitfilm Pro when editing 4k. Turning off the thumbnail previews on the timeline helps, but it's still not as smooth as I'd like, and I like having that feature turned on. 

Does anyone have a Ryzen 7 processor? Does 4k editing work better on an 8 core CPU? 

Comments

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,192 Enthusiast

"Does 4k editing work better on an 8 core CPU? "

Yes and No. Depending on circumstance.

• JohnAbraham
    JohnAbraham Posts: 12

Well that doesn't help me at all. 

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,995 Just Starting Out
    edited May 2017

He answered your question...

1. Are you considering selling your current CPU and MOBO?

2. Even if you aren't, you will need to purchase a new CPU and MOBO regardless.

Ryzen are amazing value CPU's, but rather pointless if you can't utilise them, which again depends on circumstances.

3. What's your drive setup? 4k, especially compositing, cannot be run real time on any PC in the world.

When it comes to 4k editing, in Premiere Pro for instance, it runs better with 4 cores than it does with 8 cores, simply because the 8 cores can't reach the same speeds. I have no budget or knowledge to test that claim, but judging by the amount of YouTuber's who say that is the case, I wouldn't doubt it's validity.

If that applies to HitFilm, I don't know, still, food for thought.

8 Cores are amazing when multi-tasking though, such as playing a game and rendering out something along those lines.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,679 Ambassador

Also, Hitfilm is doing screen rendering with the GPU with the CPU handling video decoding. I believe Hitfilm uses a single thread for each video stream which would suggest you need to be layering up many different videos to take advantage of the extra threads. 

Note that large studios don't edit 4k in 4k, they edit in 1080p, replacing the low res file with the full res file just before renders. Only effects/composites are worked on at full res with those being sent to editorial at 1080p as well. Even most color grading is done on 1080p proxies. 

• JohnAbraham

How do big YouTubers like MKBHD, who I believe shoots in 8k, edit their footage? Does it have something to do with working on a Mac? 

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,679 Ambassador

They probably do exactly as I said. Edit using lower resolution temp files, replaced with the full res files at render. This is a very typical workflow, and is the standard in film/TV work. 

Especially for whoever you said shot 8k, since nothing supports 8k.

It ha nothing to do with being on Mac (bluntly, Mac hardware is inferior, in general, for its price point. This is actually undeniable. The 2017 top-end Mac Pro is running dual Firepro D700's... From 2013. And that card underperformed compared to the Nvidia 780.).

Editing software probably makes a difference. Hitfilm is slower than most of its competition at basic video decoding (while often being much faster with generated media). 

• CedricBonnier
    CedricBonnier Posts: 1,207 Staff

@JohnAbraham You've already got a more than decent machine and I doubt that upgrading to a Ryzen 7 CPU would make a significant difference. To edit in 4k in HitFilm, I would transcode to CineForm. We are currently looking into how to improve performance in HitFilm but this will take a while.

I'm not the best person to talk about 8k video workflow but I would guess that they are using Adobe Premiere. From what I've seen it is the software that handles best ultra high definition, it is nothing short of breathtaking. Hats off to their dev team, they may have more developers than us but it's still an achievement to be able to play back 6k video file straight from camera in realtime (that's what we were using in our tests).

• JohnAbraham

@CedricBonnier I've messed with converting to CineForm before importing to HitFilm and it just takes a lot of time for not much of an improvement in performance. I may just shoot in 1080p to avoid this whole 4k nightmare. 

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,192 Enthusiast

@JohnAbraham I will second what Cedric said about Cineform AVI in Pro 2017 and 4k work. With a fast (high clock) 4C/8T CPU, and cached files, you can do multi stream compositing in Hitfilm with Cineform AVI sources. Multi-stream compositing is really where having more than 4 cores might provide benefits presuming the I/O subsystem can keep up. With multi-stream 4k/UHD compositing the I/O subsystem becomes a critical path.

In case you missed it here is a thread I previously posted on the topic.

https://hitfilm.com/forum/discussion/42285/hitfilm-timeline-4k-performance-demo-video

I've not done many tests of GPU performance at 4k/UHD but with a single stream and basic grading type effects there is no significant load and thus not an issue. Effects with a lot of compute, like Glow, fully load my 980 with the viewer at Full. Setting to Half (aka 1080) resolves that. A 1080 should do much better with those heavy compute effects.