Building a 4k editing/compositing/everything PC

I need help in choosing between the following processors:

Intel i7 6900k

Intel i7 6950x

I am not sure if the extra 2 cores are worth almost double the price on the 6950x. Plus, the benchmarks show the 6900k gets pretty close to the 10 core king during things like rendering, HandBrake video conversion, file compression, and the like. With adequate overclocking, the 6900k should be on par with the 6950x. But then again, the 6950x is the 6950x. It's the fastest desktop chip out there. Should I splurge on it or be "sensible" and get "only" the 6900k?

Rest of the planned specs are as follows:

Asus GTX 1080ti OC Edition

Asus Rampage V Edition 10 Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance LED 64gb RAM (4x16gb) DDr4-3200MHz

EVGA SuperNova 1000 G2 Power Supply (1000 Watt)

Samsung 960 Evo 250GB M.2 SSD

Crucial MX300 1TB SATA SSD

Seagate BarraCuda 3TB SATA HDD

NZXT Kraken X62 CPU AIO Cooler

Any suggestions?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,995 Just Starting Out

How much are you willing to spend, and in what currency?

That build is extremely overpriced, Over $1k overpriced

• TRIFLIX
    TRIFLIX Columbus, INPosts: 927 Enthusiast

Why not Ryzen?

• Vespill
    Vespill Posts: 57

@CNK I can spend about 5000 Canadian Dollars. 

@TriFlixFilms I feel more comfortable getting an Intel processor. Ryzen is new and does have a few (small) issues. 

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,782 Ambassador

Can't go wrong buying Intel.  If you use all 64 GB of your ram, I'd be surprised.  32 GB should be enough.

For spinning disk I recommend HGST.  I would avoid Seagate.  Always check MTBF (mean time before failure) when buying drives for a high performance editing system without a raid.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,679 Ambassador

@Stargazer54 I do point out that if one is in the habit of running multiple programs at once, 64 GB of RAM can go pretty fast... Say moving between Hitfilm, Vegas and GIMP... 

• Stargazer54

Just FYI. I have no issues running SpeedEdit, Photoshop, HF 2017, Lightwave 3d and PaintShopPro simultaneously under 32 GB. Even with a 4K clip in HF.  The most ram I've seen used is about 18 GB while editing a 30 min. show in SE (at 1080).

But agreed, if you can afford it, the more Ram the better.

• [Deleted User]
    edited May 2017

Oh you can definitely go wrong buying Intel today, considering the AMD CPU 1/3 the price is neck and neck with that Intel CPU.

The R7 1700 can likely overclock to the performance of their 1800x, as that seems to be what's floating around. Still, the 1800x is 1/2 the price of the i7 6900k, so....

It just doesn't make any sense to buy one, unless your intention is to IMO waste money, a lot of money.

There's really no reason to buy Intel at all anymore, because their 8 core 16 thread is a beast starting at $430 on newegg.

Just look at this on handbrake

If you start researching this, you'll see that you're literally throwing money in a lake buying Intel today, unless it's Intel's lower end such as the Pentiums.

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,192 Enthusiast

Don't even think Handbrake performance has comparable relation to Hitfilm.

x264 has some of the most optimized code on the planet. Both in basic clocks per function and CPU core scaling. The Mainconcept AVC encoder in Hitfilm cannot compete in basic performance or scaling.

Also, remember that Hitfilm is feeding frames to the encoder and Hitfilm ain't so quick at doing that. Handbrake/x264 has ready access to frames to encode at speed.

All that said the price of the ryzen is inviting and the CPU instructions retired per clock efficiency is pretty good. But Hitfilm is not likely going to get a similar performance bump as something like x264. Poor utilization.

• Stargazer54
    edited May 2017

@CNK Point taken. But price not withstanding, I would worry that since developers write against Intel, I might risk a performance problem with AMD by it lacking an instruction set that was used by the coders.

In a professional online edit setting this is a consideration.  For a home system, maybe not so much.

On the other hand, Intel definitely needs the competition on price. 

Whatever you choose: It's just a CPU not a religion.

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,192 Enthusiast

I would not worry about instruction set stuff. AMD has implemented various Intel extensions like MMX, SSE(x), AVX(x), AES-NI. If Intel or AMD defined some new instructions then unless you have the latest CPU in Intel or AMD then you don't have those instructions. Because of this most of these "performance" instructions are not requirements to run for an app. Except maybe the older(est) extended instruction groups. An app may have an alternate procedure using some advanced instruction for better performance but a runs everywhere procedure exists.

Also, lest we not forget. The 64-bit instruction set mode we are all using was defined by AMD. Other instruction set extensions have been defined by Intel including the 32-bit instruction set mode. Way back AMD had the 3Dnow instructions that nobody really used and AMD stopped supporting.

Crazy optimized (tuned) apps like x264 might have some custom routines tuned to specific chip generation architectures. Things like this are not major wins, but are more of squeezing blood out of a turnip endevors. Taking names and kicking arse. Few if any apps are crazy tuned like x264 is.

• [Deleted User]

There's basically no difference in anything between AMD and Intel CPU, I just posted 1 screen, but they're neck and neck across the board, anythign you can think of really.

• StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Posts: 2,722 Ambassador
    edited May 2017

@Vespill - I don't know if you're aware of this site but I used it to build my own desktop with a lot of power. I was also able to get a few deals using this site as they also show retailer offers for rebates and sales along with info about where to get parts.

Now- if Windows 10 would just cooperate and not make the building of my own computer such a bummer.... good luck- keep us posted!

https://pcpartpicker.com/

• Vespill
    edited May 2017

I have finalised my original plan, let's see what happens. I already received the case and power supply. Fingers crossed! 6900k it is. 

• Vespill

@Stargazer54

I agree, I will find a better hard drive than that. 

• Vespill

Btw I got the 6900k as a few friends have had experience with it before, and they love it. Budget is not a big issue for this build, I prefer Intel, so there we go then. 

• [Deleted User]

Huge waste of money but it's up to you of course in the end.

Enjoy your new PC, it's a beast...

• Vespill

Although.... What about the upcoming i9 lineup? 

• [Deleted User]

I have not seen a confirmed benchmark test, but you can basically look at the architecture, clock speed and core count.

The problem with lots of cores is that it won't necessarily speed things up linearly, as 4k editing is by no means mainstream. I'm not the right guy to explain how that works though, I really don't know enough...