Can I change the brightness in different parts of the image?

Hi,

Due to the lighting on location the right side of the image is too bright and the left side is too dark, I can't really alter one without the other getting worse. Is there a way to fix this?

Comments

• inScapeDigital
    inScapeDigital Posts: 709 Just Starting Out*

Mask a Grade layer.

• Palacono
    Palacono Posts: 3,425 Enthusiast
    edited May 2017

By which he means:
    1) Apply a Grade Layer above the footage in a composite shot.
    2) Apply a Mask to half of the image in the Grade Layer.
    3) Add a Brightness and Contrast Effect to the Grade Layer and Adjust it.
    4) Open up the Mask >Shape Properties and increase the Mask feather to blend in the different halves. As this will also affect all sides of the Mask: increase the Mask>Transform>Scale to ensure that the top, bottom and outside of the mask are off the side of the image, so only the centre section is feathered.
    5) Adjust the position and feathering of the Mask as required to get the blend correct.

BTW, if half of the screen goes completely transparent when you first apply the mask, don't panic. That's a small bug, and wiggling the playhead on the timeline will refresh it and make it reappear again.  :)

• MillerFox
    MillerFox Posts: 14

Thanks to both of you. I'll probably be back when I do it all wrong.

• MillerFox

Follow up question, after I've made the bright side darker, can I make the other side brighter? It doesn't let me make another composite shot and when I add another grade later all I get outside of the first mask is the checkerboard background.

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,201 Expert

@MillerFox   The way I would handle that situation is to duplicate the layer, one over the other, in a composite.  Click the eye thingy to make the top one invisible at this point.  Create a grade and apply the effect to lighten the one side to where you want it and blow out the other on the bottom one  it won't matter.  Then make the top one visible again create a grade and apply effects to the top layer to get the too bright side toned down. Then create a mask on the side that you have looking good underneath and it will become visible under the top one. Again fiddle with the feather of the mask as instructed before to blend the images to suit.  That may not be the most efficient way but it would be my first choice and probably be a lot harder than needed as I usually go with this stuff. :)

• Palacono
    Palacono Posts: 3,425 Enthusiast

Just put another grade layer above the first grade layer and add a brightness and contrast effect that will affect everything below it together. 

• MillerFox

@Palacona Thats what I tried but the other half of the image is just a checkerboard background.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,679 Ambassador

To quote Palacono:

BTW, if half of the screen goes completely transparent when you first apply the mask, don't panic. That's a small bug, and wiggling the playhead on the timeline will refresh it and make it reappear again.  :)

Are you wiggling the playhead? 

• MillerFox

Depends on what you mean by playhead but I thinks so, still seeing the checkerboard.

• MillerFox

I think I've figured it out, I was using the wrong settings from the Make Composite Shot box (Take composite shot properties from: and Effects and properties from: ). I'm still don't know if I'm doing it quite right but it seems to work now.