Masking visible around text in Sci-Fi Pulp crawl

Hi,

I'm using the newest release of Hitfilm 4 express along with the scifi pulp expansion to do a Star Wars crawl. The problem I am having is that when I use the effect out of the box there is masking surrounding the text. I have included an image that shows it. I have experience using the editor in HF but am not as up to speed in compositing, I'm sure there is something basic I'm missing. I have looked at the tutorials on YT and elsewhere but have found no reference to an issue like this.

http://www.gravitonmedia.com/Hitfilm_SW_crawl_masking.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,201 Expert
    edited May 2017

@v8tr4  Do you have something masked in your comp?  I asked because it shows a little arrow before the word MASK and mine doesn't do that until I add a mask but then it shows a blend mode too.  I'm wondering if you might disable the mask and see if the outline disappears.  I cannot get mine to replicate this behavior using you settings that I see here.  BTW, how is the Star Wars logo added?  Is it part of the starry background jpg?

• v8tr4
    v8tr4 Posts: 7

No masks added, I retried it again using a black plane instead of the background image and still no luck. The standard credits crawl effect works fine though.

The Star Wars logo is actually made using this font:

http://www.dafont.com/star-jedi.font

Thanks,

• v8tr4

Another factor is that although the Title and Crawl show this masking, the teaser does not, it works fine. Perhaps this is a clue as to what is occurring.

BTW:

Intel i7 [email protected]

8gb ram, 64 bit, Win7

ATI Radeon HD5770

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,192 Enthusiast
    edited May 2017

It does not duplicate for me either although I am using Pro 2017. My Express is not licensed for the Sci-Fi crawl effect so I cannot test in Express.

I do notice one potential anomaly/quirk. The Teaser portion always has a black background. The Main title and after use the background of the layer the effect is applied to. The screen shots show the effect on a white plane. Same thing happens with some random jpeg as the source.

• v8tr4

I notice it only occurs when you use a text box to enter the text, as in clicking on the 'A' to open the text input box. The teaser you enter the text directly into the line and that has no issues. If you delete the text in the text box then the masking is not there. The masking matches whatever color the font is.

This view might be a better indicator

http://www.gravitonmedia.com/Hitfilm_SW_crawl_masking_2.jpg

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,201 Expert

@NormanPCN I noticed the same thing and it didn't dawn on me until after I read your experience that it's the "Long Time Ago..." portion and when I went and checked the movies that portion is black until the Logo appears and we see the stars there.then the crawl starts.  But I am using Pro 2017 as well.  Not sure if my 3 or 4 Express have that feature or not.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,679 Ambassador

I think you solved your own question. A text box defines a plane and the artifacts match hat. Since sci fi text crawl has its own entry fields I don't think it's intended for use with a text box. 

• v8tr4

This is the way it comes out of the 'box'. I have set it up with no changes and this is the result. Last night I updated HF to the newest version and then did the crawl exactly as shown. I am considering uninstalling HF and reinstalling in case there is some setting that had been changed over the course of this past year while  using it, I am worried about the expansion packs though.

• NormanPCN

"I notice it only occurs when you use a text box to enter the text, as in clicking on the 'A' to open the text input box. The teaser you enter the text directly into the line and that has no issues. If you delete the text in the text box then the masking is not there."

This logic is faulty. The episode title and episode number also are showing the same behavior. The teaser, episode # and episode title are all single line items so Hitfilm has a simple line text entry for those. The movie title and crawl are likely multi-line items so Hitfilm open an accessory dialog for text entry (clicking the A).

Do you see the same issue(s) when using the default text in the various text entry fields? Specifically the crawl and/or movie title.

Something strange is happening on your specific installation, or just in Express 4 in general. A couple of us have tried to duplicate your report, from available information, and have been unsuccessful. Both of us are on Pro 2017.

• v8tr4

I uninstalled and then reinstalled. Issue remains. You are correct about the other single line text inputs.

Thanks for your help so far. I have created a support ticket and will wait and see if they are able to help, but I now suspect there is some sort of unique problem as you also said.

• NormanPCN
    edited May 2017

Have you tried updating your graphics driver.

Beyond that, support should have more ideas than me, and they will be able to test in Express 4.

I once had something with Split Screen Masking that nobody could reproduce. It happens.

• v8tr4

You got it. I found a beta driver for my card, turns out they no longer are updating it, installed it and now it works.

Thanks to everyone, sorry about wasting everyone's time.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,679 Ambassador

Oh, the driver update fixed it. Nice. 

• NormanPCN

I should have opened with a GPU driver update comment. Lesson learned.