Power Rangers prequel fan film -- i LOVE Hitfilm 2 Ultimate

CiscoDavisJrCiscoDavisJr Website User Posts: 8
edited November 2013 in Practical Filmmaking
Hi everyone. My name is Cisco and four weeks ago I didn't know a **** thing about doing visual effects. Period. After years of failed attempts at trying to learn After Effects that could never do what I even wanted because I had to purchase some kind of plugin (go figure) I finally decided to give Hitfilm a shot. And it clicked.
I'm doing a Power Rangers fan film prequel "reboot." I put reboot in quotes because at the end of the day its just a fan film and I'm not trying to make it more serious than what it is.
The story focues on a re-imagined account of the origins behind the conflict between Rita Repulsa and Zordon, 10,000 years before the events that transpired in the hit show from my childhood. I have a teaser trailer for you guys to watch and a bunch of frame grabs and stuff.
http://youtu.be/rOPpGiHzhrs

10830495376_151a88ac7f_z.jpg
10807217806_61b3f78c4b_z.jpg
10626842074_0e6e2d1e2b_z.jpg
I'm able to play with 3D models and think differently as a filmmaker. I'm able to make frankensteins out of my action figures and use thems as miniatures to animate. Never in a million years did I ever think I'd be able to do a Sci-Fi project. And four weeks into learning the program? I think I'm in love!

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,244 Ambassador
    Yeah, but those screen grabs are WAAAAAY too polished for Power Rangers. ;-) Good work, and don't forget about Lord Zedd.
  • RobinRobin Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast
    Welcome to the community, Cisco! That trailer looks promising, can't wait to see more!
  • KirstieTKirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 1,055 Staff
    Welcome to the community :)
    Glad to hear you love HitFilm 2 Ultimate - you certainly have a lot of skill with it!
    Please do check your YouTube channel if you haven't already as we've sent you a private message there.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    To get that general level of quality only 4 weeks after getting the program is pretty damned impressive. I'd say you need to focus a little more on consistency, as some of the VFX shots are outstanding and some are a little wobbly, but overall it's a fine achievement.
    In particular you've succeeded in depicting an intriguing universe in the form of the teaser. It feels like a setting I want to explore more. You also evidently have a really nice eye for composing a shot, so even where some of the technical aspects aren't quite there you still create a satisfying composition.
    The main aspect I wasn't super keen on was the voiceover, simply because Mr Voiceover-style voiceovers not recorded by an actual Mr Voiceover tend to sound a bit silly. :)
  • CiscoDavisJrCiscoDavisJr Website User Posts: 8
    Thanks guys!
    Simon, yeah I definitely hope to get better. I wanted to get the teaser out this past weekend so I could look more into practicing more and test things out. I found that if I really wanted to I could keep adding to a shot and doing all kinds of little things to keep adding details.
    I watch it now and I don't like seeing some of the earlier clips next to some of the newer clips but I'll just chock it up to it still being a learning process.
    I used to pay people to do visual effects for me or have to rely on people I didn't have 100% faith in to commit to my projects. As a filmmaker that's not a position you want to be in. Hitfilm 2 is user friendly enough to start learning right away and hit the ground running if you need to be. I was fortunate enough to have Hitfilm 2 Ultimate through my job at a television studio. I've also currently convinced my supervisor at my second job to get Hitfilm 2 Express for the video projects they want me to do for them.
    edited May 2014
    So after a little more practice in Hitfilm 2 Ultimate and a small budget I was able to put together an OFFICIAL teaser that I think blows away my proof of concept video imho... I still think Hitfilm 2 is the best thing that ever happened to me. I may not be the best at it, I'm still learning a lot and it's forced me to learn things that I thought I could never do (like working with 3D stuff), but ultimately... I know just enough to get by and tell the stories I want to tell. #hitfilmrocks
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGYqX7OoeXs
    We are over halfway finished filming and should wrap principal photography by the end of June (theoretically...you know how those weekend shoots go sometimes...lol!)
  • CalebKCalebK Website User Posts: 435
    So after a little more practice in Hitfilm 2 Ultimate and a small budget I was able to put together an OFFICIAL teaser that I think blows away my proof of concept video imho... I still think Hitfilm 2 is the best thing that ever happened to me. I may not be the best at it, I'm still learning a lot and it's forced me to learn things that I thought I could never do (like working with 3D stuff), but ultimately... I know just enough to get by and tell the stories I want to tell. #hitfilmrocks
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGYqX7OoeXs
    We are over halfway finished filming and should wrap principal photography by the end of June (theoretically...you know how those weekend shoots go sometimes...lol!)

Dude you have a vision! The way you grade each scene and the color and stylistic elements, makes me feel like you have been doing this for much longer.  I am curious what is your background?
    With skills such as yours remember never to undersell yourself! I think you will find you way up the professional ranks very soon!  Remember me when your a director!
    Just curious what is your green screen setup?
    PPS: I think the scene with the city and the power rangers flying looks a bit off.  Mabye try to cut the city into layers and place them in 3d space.  Or even better use this royalty free futuristic city model pack.
    http://www.videocopilot.net/blog/2013/12/free-future-city-pack/

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,244 Ambassador
    It's continuing to look very promising, indeed.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    There's some great stuff in here - the opening handful of space shots are really fantastic. Brilliantly composed and technically really good.
    Dude you have a vision! The way you grade each scene and the color and stylistic elements, makes me feel like you have been doing this for much longer.  I am curious what is your background?
    With skills such as yours remember never to undersell yourself! I think you will find you way up the professional ranks very soon!  Remember me when your a director!
    Just curious what is your green screen setup?
    PPS: I think the scene with the city and the power rangers flying looks a bit off.  Mabye try to cut the city into layers and place them in 3d space.  Or even better use this royalty free futuristic city model pack.
    http://www.videocopilot.net/blog/2013/12/free-future-city-pack/

I'm a news cameraman for the county government right outside of Baltimore. I mostly just film press conferences or make training videos for police and fire departments. Everything I know I taught myself or learned from people's tutorials. Loooots of trial and error. I really just have a knack for how I want certain things to look stylistically. And sometimes (read: a lot of the times...) I make a mistake and get lucky! LOL
    My green screen/blue screen set up is pretty nice actually. One of the perks of my job is that during my off hours I can use the tv studio where I work to do pretty much whatever I want. It's one of the reasons why I kept this job. This is where I do all my editing and had access to use Hitfilm.

614736_316452115139646_1851386961_o.jpg
    By the way is that futuristic city pack compatible with Hitfilm??? I don't want to touch After Effects with a 20 foot pole unless I need to use its puppet tool or something like Twixtor. #truestory #yeahimstubborn

• OrangePekoeOrangePekoe Website User Posts: 478
    Yes the Futuristic City Pack is usable in HitFilm, here's a quick example from a project I'm working on.
    Wish I had studio access like that!!!  Looking forward to your future work :)
    Meta-ScreenShot1b_zps2a7cfbb0.png
  • ShawnBuShawnBu Website User Posts: 5
    Hey, this looks like a great project! I like the idea of giving Zordon more backstory. Good luck with the film! 
  • CalebKCalebK Website User Posts: 435
    [quote name="CiscoDavisJr"
    By the way is that futuristic city pack compatible with Hitfilm??? I don't want to touch After Effects with a 20 foot pole unless I need to use its puppet tool or something like Twixtor. #truestory #yeahimstubborn[/quote]

Yes the pack has formats that hitfilm is fine with... To my knowledge.
    Also what degrees and classes did you take to get this job? Which schools?