How to? - Screen with running code

colamanBS
colamanBS Posts: 92 Just Starting Out*
edited April 2017 in Post-production techniques

Hello.
I am new at Hitfilm 4 Express and i love it.

I want to add a screen with running code.
The code is running and stops randomly.

Like the screen in the film wargames.
Youtube Wargames Ending

Do you know how to create something like this?

Thank you

Comments

• Andy001z
    Andy001z Posts: 3,149 Ambassador

Hi @colamanBS

great film with a timely message. Anyway to the effect, I think you mean one of the side screens scrolling up code. Should be pretty easy. Make a new comp and add a black plane. Then add a TEXT layer , I would make it the width of your comp, so if that HD that’s 1980 and maybe make the height three times as tall (1080 x 3 = 3240). Now using the text tool add your code text to that new text layer. You will need to add a fair bit. Then position the text layer so the top is at the bottom of the visible comp window you can do this by dragging the GREEN transform pointer that should be in the middle of your text box (make sure that text layer is selected).

Now you need to key frame the movement, so that it scrolls up the screen. (Tip use your mouse wheel in the active view window to reduce the size of your visible window which will allow you to see all of the large text window an see it working. You can also use the window zoom in the bottom right hand corner.

Go to the layer properties for the text layer find the transform options and open them up, you should see things like opacity and position, which should have X,Y as numbers. Have a play with the Y number and watch what happens. It should move up and down. To key frame this you need to move the play head position to the length of your scene (say at the end of the 30 seconds) and then hit the little round circle in front of the position option (this will enable keyframe recordings). Then move the Y value up so the text box is not located way above the top of the viewer window. Then move the play head to Frame 1 and move the text window all the way down again. This will set a new value. Hitfilm will work out the values between the two. If you need help on Keyframing, then see @Triem23 excellent Hitfilm University channel on YouTube.

To make it stop, you just need more keyframes (static ones) and that’s it. Add a glow effect to the text layer to give it that monitor look and your good to go.

Hope that helps

Andy001z

• colamanBS

Hi Andy001z.

Thank you for your help

You understood my question, it was not easy to explain.
    I learned English in School 30 years ago

Yes i watched a lot of tutorials on yt.
    Basics, keyframing and so, loaded all free footage to see how it works.

I think i have it, copied a random filling-text, deleted "," "." and spaces
    turned all characters in big characters.
    Then as your help with a mask and constant keyframes.
    And with font courier, it´s a monospace font
    Other fonts doesnt stay in the line.
    Duplicated the text layer and started few frames later so the characters are overlapped.
    At the end added some same characters so it looks it ends slowly.

• Andy001z

Sounds good, to make it slow down you need to play with the keyframe valuegraph, this you can make the speed change over time.

• colamanBS
    edited August 2017

I made my first Tutorial for Hitfilm 4 Express

This is what i mean

running code tutorial

• Andy001z

Oh now i see, hmm not sure if helped that much. Good look.

• Palacono
    Palacono Posts: 3,423 Enthusiast

Nice tutorial and clever use of the red line to align the text to. :)

• colamanBS

@Palacono Thank you for your nice feedback

@Andy001z Thank you. Yes you helped and turned my ideas in the right way

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,059 Ambassador

@Andy001z FWIW, I saw your tag, but didn't say anything, as I had nothing to add. Your breakdown was superb. Colaman did everything you suggested, but added in some masks and other tricks and tools on top of it. 

@colamanBS Nice animation. Concise breakdown. Very good work. 

Check out this tutorial from Inscape Digital. 

He does a neat thing with a plane layer and the set matte effect. If you use a "Replace" Alpha with that effect you should get a "window" on your text. Gives you other options that might be easier than what you did. 

• Palacono
    Palacono Posts: 3,423 Enthusiast

You can also use a Grade Layer with a Mask window above the text - inverted - and a Crush Blacks & Whites Alpha to make all but the masked hole disappear.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,059 Ambassador

@Palacono That works, too. I don't think I've thought of that one before. Clever. 

• Andy001z

So many ways... Always learning

• colamanBS

Thanks all.

Usually i only used family videos and added some transitions and some texts,
    so i didn´t need many effects, till now.

My son wants to make a car po** (special car presentation)

Like this one
    https://youtu.be/LmlPbubynnc?t=40

I think i have to watch all Tutorials again.  Requirements have changed

• TriFlixFilms
    TriFlixFilms Posts: 924 Just Starting Out*

That video is glorious. Im not even a car guy but that was amazing!