Okay specs?

h4ph4p Website User Posts: 2

Hello,

I am new to video editing and was wondering if these laptop specs are okay for editing and what capabilities I have with them.

i7-7700hq quad core processor

16gb ddr4 ram (will upgrade to 32gb when I have the chance)

1060 gtx 3gb vram

I am a little worried that the VRAM falls short and may not hold up on medium intensive video editing.

What hardware comes into play the most while scrubbing and editing the timeline in real time?

Do you guys have any recommendations? Thanks for any input.

Regards

h4p

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,293 Ambassador

Those are pretty solid specs. 

In general with Hitfilm the GPU is the most important part of the chain. The GPU does all drawing/rendering tasks. 

Hitfilm is going to want 4GB of Vram for working in comp sizes larger than 4k.

Hitfilm has slower scroll speeds than most other NLEs. Optimizing video for performance before import helps a lot. 

Otherwise, you have a pretty top-end system. Everything is current generation, etc. 

• Andy001zAndy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,875 Ambassador

Hi i have that GPU spec and it's fine at HD but does struggle a bit with some effects. Mind u my cpu is a lot older

• h4ph4p Website User Posts: 2

Thanks Triem.  Appreciate the explanation!

This discussion has been closed.