Floor Grid in 3D View is an overlay, non-occludable?

ssontechssontech Website User Posts: 25

It looks like the floor grid in the Active Camera or perspective 3D views is being drawn *on top* of any imported 3D models? (instead of being occluded as you would normally expect a grid painted on the floor to be). This everything-is-transparent look is hard to follow. Is there some control that affects this, other than turning the grid off outright?

Comments

• inScapeDigitalinScapeDigital Website User Posts: 715 Just Starting Out

No, that's the way it is. I do agree that it can be a little weird to look at.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,295 Ambassador

To be pedantic, technically that's a 0-position grid, not a floor grid, but, yeah, a toggle for occlusion would be nice. I'd say a toggle as there are times I want the transparency, and times I don't. 

• ssontechssontech Website User Posts: 25

(The enable button's tooltip in Hitfilm calls it the "Floor Plane".) 

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,295 Ambassador

Yeah, but there are a few things in Hitfilm's manual and general terminology that are certainly technically wrong. 

Hitfilm's "proxies" aren't proxy files (low-res temp files for editing, replaced by full-res files for render), but "pre-renders" (full-res, lossless files intended for final output). 

"Caustics" in optics are the patterns of light caused by light refractions through curved objects, but Hitfilm's Caustics simulates a reflective/refractive plane. 

The manual may call it a "floor plane" but it's still a 0-position grid. Unless the default camera position is intended to have the lens half-buried? 

I DID say I was being pedantic. ;-) :-D

This discussion has been closed.