Hitfilm and Mac OS 10.8.4

Hi all,
I install the trial version on my Mac, and I surprised with the editing possibilities. I have to drag and drop the media on the timeline ? Is it a possibility to use a short cut for this or no ?
And when you have put clips in the timeline, is it possible to go between clip with the down and up arrows?
This version is not very stable with my version of OS 10.8.4, many time when I try to move betwenn clip on my timeline with arrows the program stop to run.....
Thanks for your help...

Comments

• SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
    You can jump between edit points with page up and page down. You can change the shortcut defaults in the Options window.
    Can you elaborate some more on what kind of editing functionality you'd like to see?
    We haven't experienced stability problems in our testing but will be continuing to test and investigate any reports. Thanks for letting us know. 
  • I am so excited, finally it supports Apple ProRes codecs. Now for the people that are not aware, these codecs are professional codecs they use in television and movies. If you select custom setting for resolution and set it to 2048x1080 res and select this codec in the export tab, you can make a 2k movie. It should also support 4k since the codecs also go that high. I am using final cut pro, motion, Davinci resolve and now hitfilm on my macbook pro. Also using these programs together with a few others i can make really good dcp"s for the cinema. All i need now is my black magic cinema camera I buying soon...
    cheers great work fxhoome  
  • Thanks you Symon for your answer, I continue to work with HitFilm, but it's complicate with the wheel that appear often by the way.... I have open a ticket with your team to try to understand what's happen with my mac and the trial version. 
    I work with FCPX, FCP7, AVid and Premiere Pro CC. And sometimes, it's very important to have the possibility to create ours shortcuts with the program. And I would to see somes key to edit with the keyboard like edit, insert or replace clips in the timeline because drag and drop is boring...:)
  • SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
    That's definitely functionality we can look into in the future. In case you're not aware, there's a wishlist topic here which might be of interest: http://community.hitfilm.com/index.php?/topic/573-the-wishlist-feature-requests-and-suggestions/
  • Mycho
    Mycho Posts: 2
    Is there any reason why it doesn't seem to support the AIC (Apple intermediate Codec)? 
  • MistyJohnson
    MistyJohnson Staff Posts: 22
    The arrow keys are used to adjust the layer, not to scroll up and down the layer list. If you need the keyboard short cuts, Open HitFilm, go to File, Preferences, Shortcuts.
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,069 Ambassador

Is there any reason why it doesn't seem to support the AIC (Apple intermediate Codec)? 
    Just a guess, but Hitfilm started as Windows software, and AIC is a proprietary, Apple-owned codec that doesn't work on Windows.
    Adding AIC to Hitfilm Mac is a great way to make Hitfilm project files incompatible between versions.
    Besides, AIC is a 4:2:0 codec and, generally, actually obsolete. It would be far better for FXhome to add ProRes/DnxHD support than AIC. 4:2:2 is way better--especially for keying.
    Finally, there are, literally, hundreds of different codecs out there, and Hitfilm was designed to be easy to use--which is likely why the main export is h.264; a codec common to mist current consumer/prosumer video cameras, DSLR cameras abd as the codec used by Vimeo and YouTube.
  • Mycho
    Mycho Posts: 2
    I guess I can understand that.
    However I have used AIC for the good part of 5 years with no problems with keying etc as I have always found that pro res makes files too large, that can't be easily moved between the two operating systems on a hard drive due to their file size limit of 4gb. Working in music videos this obviously mean that I have long takes that create large prores file sizes. 
    As industry standard every production house I have worked with have always gladly accommodated AIC.  
    But I guess I'd better start adapting my work flow if I want to use the program for mac.
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,069 Ambassador
    Also, if you format your drive to EXFAT, which is readable on the most recent versions of OSX and Windows. You can get around the 4GB limit, and ease file transfer between platforms. :-)