crashing when importing a 240fps file

Dan_B
Dan_B Website User Posts: 5

I recently bought a Sony FDR-X1000V, but am having trouble importing the 240fps files into HitFilm 4 Express. The files work fine with both Sony's and GoPro's editor...

Create a new project for [email protected]
Start editing
Import the 240fps file and it immediately crashes.

system specs:
Win7 64bit
AMD FX6120 3.5GHz
10GB RAM
Radeon R7 360

File info:

Video Codec: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1)
Resolution: 1280x720
Frame rate: 239.760233
Decoded format: Planar 4:2:0 YUV

Audio Codec: PCM 516 BE (twos)
Channels: Stereo
Sample rate: 48000 Hz
Bits per sample: 16

Any ideas?

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,956 Ambassador

Two.

First, that file is probably variable frame rate, has should be transcoded into a constant frame rate file before import into Hitfilm

This video covers that.

Second, I might be wrong, but I think Hitfilm's max project frame rate is 120. It's possible that 120 is the max supported media framerate?

I'll tag... Oh, Danny77uk on this one. It's all been Cedric this week.

• Palacono
    Palacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,422 Enthusiast

You need to wave the wand in a little circle to make the special symbol or @Danny77uk won't hear you. 

GoPros can also produce 240fps and it's not variable framerate. It's just quite small frames taken from the centre of the sensor.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,956 Ambassador

@Palacono meh, pulled an sll-night/all morning edit, and now I get three hours of sleep before work. This time, I remembered the @-tag...

The 239.76 is making me think variable. 

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Website User Posts: 4,067 Enthusiast

It is probably constant framerate. 239.76 = (29.97 * 8).

Hitfilm has a max timeline framerate of 100 fps.

2017 does finally work with GoPro 120 fps (119.88) files without the audio going out of sync. If you don't care about the audio you should still be fine. Meaning you are just using it for the slow mo by changing the playback rate on media properties.

I'll bet Express still has the sync bug. It has been a reported thing for a while. As for a crash, I've no idea. I've never tried a 240 fps file.

• tddavis
    tddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 5,063 Moderator
    edited March 2017

@Triem23 I found these specs on that camera:

VIDEO RECORDING RATE (ABR / VBR)

• MP4 PS: approx. 28 Mbps / HQ: approx. 16 Mbps / STD: approx. 6 Mbps / HS120: approx. 28 Mbps / HS240: approx. 28 Mbps
    • XAVC S 4K 3840 x 2160 30 p / 25 p / 24 p: Approx. 60 Mbps / Approx.100 Mbps
    • XAVC S HD 1920 x 1080 120 p / 100 p: Approx. 60 Mbps / Approx. 100 Mbps 1280 x 720 240 p / 200 p: Approx. 60 Mbps / Approx. 100 Mbps 1920 x 1080 60 p / 50 p: Approx. 50 Mbps 1920 x 1080 30 p / 25 p / 24 p: Approx. 50 Mbps

Not sure what ABR means but but I think you're right about the variable frame rate.

Edit: Found out it means Average Frame Rate

• NormanPCN

ABR => Average bitrate. Like constant bitrate but not as tightly controlled.

• tddavis
    tddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 5,063 Moderator

@NormanPCN  Guess that makes more sense with the "B" in the name. 

• Dan_B

Good news! I transcoded it with Handbrake set to constant framerate and "same as source", and was then able to import and edit it in HitFilm. 

I had to double check that the output was indeed still 239.314159265359fps as the highest option listed in Handbrake was 120fps, but selecting "same as source" did the trick.

• Dan_B

Hopefully this issue will only come up on the super slomo with this cam, because having to transcode everything is a huge PITA...

• Palacono
    Palacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,422 Enthusiast

@Dan_B So it's now slightly slower, but are you saying it works in Hitfilm at that speed with no problems? Does it say 239 or 240 on the properties for the file when in the Media Bin?

• Dan_B

It shows 239fps in the Media bin. Playback speed is also 239fps, but when I set the speed to 12.5% I get nice smooth slow motion that's equivalent to 29fps.

• Dan_B

So I've encountered another problem with the 239fps video... While the video and audio play really well in the editor, Hitfilm has issues exporting it. The audio is out of sync on the exported file, and the video will all be at one speed even though I've slowed some portions and left the others at 100% speed.

Interestingly  I've found that Windows Movie Maker actually handles the files just fine; with good audio and video quality on the slowed down playback. I think I'll just be using Movie Maker to pre-edit my 239fps clips and using Hitfilm for the finished product. 

• Triem23

I stand by what I said earlier about your footage probably being variable frame rate. As I said before the "Frame rate: 239.760233 " screams variable frame rate, and if you bounced footage through Handbrake at "Same as source." then, guess what? I kept it variable frame rate!

Audio drift on export is prime symptom of variable frame rate. Oh well.

Unfortunately if Handbrake won't deal with 240fps footage, I'm sure MPEG Streamclip won't either (but GoPro Studio probably can).

If Windows Movie Maker will slow down your 240 footage without drift, use that then finish in Hitfilm. I round trip to other software myself often. ;-)

• NormanPCN

Express has the same bug(s) Pro had with NTSC high frame rate video. A recent update of Pro 2107 finally fixed the problem with 120 fps footage (119.88, 29.97*4). Express has not had this fixed.

In general Hitfilm only supports 23.98, 29.97 and 59.94 as fractional framerates. Something internal seems to cause this or it is their personal choice. I think the former given all the problems/quirks they have had with fraction framerates in various parts of the app. It would seem something need to be special cased at times.

100 fps is the highest rate one can enter into the media properties field in Hitfilm. Importing from a file in current Pro 2017 does work with 120 (119.88) fps GoPro footage without audio sync issues. When from file is checked, Pro 2017 properly shows 119.88. Express shows 119 which is wrong and audio will go out of sync.

I cannot generate a 240 fps (239.76, 29.97*8) from from my GoPro to test in Express and/or Pro 2017. Maybe FxHome only "fixed" the 120 fps problem but 240 and others remain. This is unknown. I trust what I physically have and can test.

Always when you enter some value lower than the recorded framerate you should be fine. aka doing ideal slowmo. Of course you lose audio in that circumstance.

This discussion has been closed.