Tips For Action Movie

Hey guys!

I am making an action movie and was wondering if anyone had some good tips. They can be anything from editing to the actual production of the film. 

Thanks!

Comments

• TotopoCraftTotopoCraft Website User Posts: 194 Just Starting Out

You should definitely see this:

• DanyjeffDanyjeff Website User Posts: 13

Can you be more specific? ?

Some general tips I would give are (in no particular order):

1) Be careful with stunts. Your Cast and Crew' s safety is your biggest priority! 

2) Pre visualize (action) scenes and put some thought into the most exiting camera angles and such.

3) Sound is VERY important in action films. Record as many location sounds as you can and put much of your time into the sound design. Record Room tone, Ambience, Dialogue (obvious, right?), Unusual sound from the location, Foley (Footsteps, sound of clothes etc. Foley is everything that just should be there in the real world, things we take for granted and dont really notice, but miss, when they're not there. Watch some youtibe tutorials. Foley is very Important in action) and Sound FX (get a little creative here and layer sounds for a more exiting sounding result. There are also creat tutorials online about this). Mixing your sound is obviously also very important so dont skimp on it!

4) I you dont do it already, pu tracking markers up on your greenscreen (if you use it), because you need them to br able to recreate the camera move. Your shots will definately benefit from camera move in terms of being more exiting and convincing. Having no camera move can make the most exiting choreography look boring and vice versa.

5)  More of a writing tip, but action, like comedy, should always be extracted from the Story itself, the story should never be written to just lead to an action scene, it would just feel unnatural.

6) Get an allowance if you plan to use guns or other weapons in public places. It could save your life!

7) Have fun!

Thats all i can think of for now ? Hope it helps!

• SXethelySXethely Website User Posts: 7

Thanks for the tips, I am a beginner and grateful for any help.

• Samuel072Samuel072 Website User Posts: 2

Filmmaking is the art of putting together storytelling, direction, screenplay, cinematography, and much more, to create a final masterpiece which impacts the audience. From having an exceptional idea to executing it, making a good film is a creative adventure. Here are a few things you can do to stay ahead of the conventional filmmaking game –

Identify your style – What kind of movie do you wish to work on? Is it a short film, a documentary, a music video, a commercial, or something else? Identifying your style helps with a lot of other aspects of your film, such as the location, the characters, and the narrative.
    Have multiple perspectives – Look at your film from various points of views – a director’s, a scriptwriter’s, an actor’s, a crew member’s, and most importantly, your audience’s. When you develop multiple angles, you get an idea of the bigger picture without losing touch with the little aspects of it.
    Watch a lot of movies – “Learn from history,” it is said. This applies here too. Watch all the movies from classics to blockbusters and action movies, analyze the screenplay, sound effects, action, and direction.
    As you keep learning from previous movies and moviemakers, you should also remember to stay original in your style and give the film a personal touch.

When you start to learn filmmaking – especially with basic equipment – you need to keep it simple. These tips will help you get good shots and usable sound with basic camcorders, still cameras, or your phone.

Before you start, check that your camera is ready. Make sure the battery is fully charged, the lens is clean, and there’s enough free memory.

1 Film separate shots
    Don’t wave the camera around to scan the scene or follow action. Instead, plan your movie as a series of separate shots, keeping the camera still for each one.

2 Keep it steady
    Turn on image stabilisation if you can. Support the camera with a tripod, or by resting on a table, a wall or the back of a chair.

3 Move around
    Don’t shoot everything from eye level. Film shots from different places: above, from below, and from different positions around the subject.

4 Frame carefully
    Frame each shot carefully and keep it simple: just show one thing in each shot. Pay attention to the background and the edges of the shot, and keep the camera level. Make sure the shot is clearly different from the one before it.

5 Don’t zoom
    If your camera has a zoom lens, zoom all the way out, and stay zoomed out. Camera shake will be less obvious, and sound will be better because you’ll have to get closer to the subject.

6 Get in close
    Use plenty of closeups to draw viewers’ attention to important things. But don’t zoom: instead, zoom with your feet by moving closer to the subject.

7 Social Pressure

I don't exactly know this about you but I was the one that gets a lot of social pressure when I'm specially out and doing my work of filming in pubic. It was ok when I was with few friends but when I go out alone in doing some filming or taking some random shots. I get sometimes on the head. If you also have this issue, you should give a deep thought in avoiding this as this single thing can stole so many ideas from you. I found some great tips on here if you also have this issue, check it out and never be nervous at all the times.

7 Check the light
    Basic cameras give terrible image quality in low light. Film where there’s plenty of light but not too much contrast (you could fill shadows using a reflector). Film with the light behind you.

8 Take control
    Don’t rely on autofocus and automatic exposure. Lock exposure and focus on the most important part of the image then adjust the exposure if necessary. Or learn to set exposure and focus manually.

9 Watch the sound
    Be quiet and listen for a few seconds before you start filming.

If you’re using the built-in microphone, get in close and try to film away from distracting background sound. If possible, use a separate microphone, adjust the sound level, and use headphones while you’re recording.

If you can’t record good live sound, plan a film that doesn’t need it. Create the soundtrack afterwards, or edit to a voiceover or music track.

10 Hold the shot
    Film each shot for a few seconds longer than you need: ten seconds for a shot with no action, or five seconds before and after any action or speech.

I hope you find these tips truly valuable.

Regards

Samuel

• HobbesvfxHobbesvfx Website User Posts: 59 Just Starting Out

Samuel072 very cool tips! Tip 5 and 6 in paritcular