Fire-lit 3D Text

Dearest Fellow Hitfilm-ers,

In a current project, I wanted the title to seem to be lit by an unseen fire. The problem i have run into is that the light must flicker for it to evoke fire, but I cannot figure out an effective way to do this. The flicker effect does not go onto a Light, as no effects do, and hand-adjusting the intensity is time-consuming and highly inaccurate. Any tips?

Thank you,

Roem Daug

Comments

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,558 Ambassador
    edited March 2017

@RoemDaug It would be great if we could add a formula or procedural expression to keyframes.  Someday I hope that will be possible. 

But in the meantime you can still use a couple of tricks with light intensity.  Yes, if you try to keyframe intensity for the entire animation, then that is time consuming.  But you can still create a few keyframes and then copy and paste.  Then that makes the task a little easier.

Select your light on the timeline and open up controls.  Turn on keyframing for Intensity. Then turn on the Value Graph for the Intensity channel.  Just scroll down the time line a bit, go back to the Controls menu and slide the value for intensity up or down.  Repeat the process.  Eventually, after you have about 6 to 10 keyframes, your graph should look like a sawtooth. 

Then hold down the left mouse button and select all the keyframes.  Hit Control C to copy.  Then move the cursor over the last keyframe and hit Control V.  That will paste the keyframe set further down the timeline.  Rinse and repeat.  You might have to adjust individual keyframes later but that's a quick way make a bunch of keyframes without painstakingly creating them for the entire timeline.

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,558 Ambassador
    edited March 2017

In addition, you could duplicate your light, then slide your keyframes left or right on the timeline slightly to make the combined intensity more "random".

You can also use a Grade layer above everything else in the stack.   Then add the Flicker effect and tweak Amplitude and Frequency.   That kind of does the same thing as the keyframe technique.  Duplicating the Grade layer and changing parameters and/or combining with a keyframed light could be a way to go.

You just have to experiment.