Hitfilm Celestial Model Pack: How to use the Earth model

I have the Hitfilm Celestial Model Pack from Tony Cee I think it is, and it comes with a 3D model of planet Earth. 

I was wondering how to make it an accurate scale. Also, the model has a texture for normal Earth, clouds, and night time lights. How do I use these together in a space scene to make the planet look like it is dark, but you can see the city lights?

Any help would be appreciated. 

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,250 Ambassador

@NxVisualStudio I'll just toss this to use, since you built it. 

• GrayMotion
    GrayMotion Posts: 1,609 Enthusiast
    edited March 2017

@ZCC_Productions

I attempted this when the pack first came out. I cannot answer your accurate scale but basically I used 3 models with the 3 textures (earth, clouds,lights) in their own comps. I setup one model with lights, then copied the lights and camera to the second model atmosphere and so one with the third. Then brought everything into a single comp with proper blending.

Here's a short clip:

https://youtu.be/APh8FbKRW5o

I  have a project file if you'd like to take a look at how I attempted it. Totally unfinished work but does achieve complete darkens to sunlight transition. I did get the luma of the city lights to wash out as the key light hit the sunrise side of the earth. I can provide upon request(minus audio).

**Not sure how long YT will let this video ride even though it unlisted

• Triem23
    edited March 2017

"Proper" scale depends on what else is in the scene, and how large a 3D space you need. 

The camera is Hitfilm has a max viewing distance of 100,000 units. If you "Normalize" model scale on import, it will be 500 units across. 

Earth is 7900 miles in diameter (7917. 5 to be more exact). The diameter of the Moon is 2100 miles (2159). Distance of Earth to moon is 240,000 miles (give or take a couple of thousand, depending on the point of orbit). 

Now given camera clipping distance of a 100,000 units, this means to fit Earth in and have it visible from the Moon, each unit is about 2.5 miles. Assuming you Normalize scale on Earth and Moon on import, Earth would scale to 632%, Moon to 183% with Earth 96,000 units away from the Moon. 

Incidentally, for this shot, the Star Destroyer*, Earth, Death Star and Moon are all proper scale size and distance. It means that the Star Destroyer is really tiny... It's scaled down to about 5 units. 

*I cheated. The Star Destroyer is scaled to the size of a Super Star Destroyer (12 miles) not a Star Destroyer (1 mile). 

• ZachAlan
    ZachAlan Posts: 453 Enthusiast

Thanks @GrayMotion I'd be interested to take a look at the project...

@Triem23 I'm using Video Co-pilot's X-wing and TIE fighter, and the same Star Destroyer as you I think, so should I use the same distance and scale as you listed above? 

• Triem23

Well....

Here's the thing about that....

In VFX, almost every space scene in almost every movie and TV show ever cheats perspective and scale like crazy....

At the scale I gave above--which doesn't give THAT much room to go past the Moon before Earth "pops" away beyond camera range...

Remember, each pixel is 2.5 MILES. If I had my Star Destroyer at it's proper scale where it's only one mile long, then the size of the Star Destroyer becomes 0.20 units. which is a scale ratio of 0.002% (assuming the Star Destroyer was normalized to 500 px on import). Hitfilm only inputs to three digits past the decimal, so that scale factor of 0.002% is, almost literally, as small as I can go in Hitfilm. That's why I made it Super Star Destroyersize--12 times larger.

An X-wing is only about 40 feet long, or less than 0.001% of the Star Destroyer... Now, I COULD scale the X-Wing down to 0.002% and chain that to a point and scale that down to 0.001% (which would make the X-wing 52.8 feet long, not 40)., and Hitfilm will do it... But you've scaled the X-Wing down below the movement resolution of the camera. ANY MOVEMENT AT ALL of the camera would immediately lose that X-wing.

So, no matter what you'll have to cheat the scale somewhere.

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,155 Expert

@ZCC_Productions  While this is Cinema 4D tutorial some of the basics might be of some use in figuring out how to transfer it Hitfilm.

• Triem23

Well, the key is knowing where to break scale and fold elements into embedded comps. Combine multiple passes at accurate scales. Scale your models and paths in powers of 10 by creating a "Master" Point and parenting  all your point rigs to it. (Powers of 10 is good for space.) 

• GrayMotion
    edited March 2017

@ZCC_Productions - Here is the project. Relinking the obj, and textures from the Celestial pack is all you should need to do.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2rWFhHlRC_2aktMczJuNXY3MU0

I never did figure out how to have the city lights fade as the sunlight hit them. Brain fart with luma and alpha channels I think

• ZachAlan

Thanks @GrayMotion I will check it out and see what I can do...

• GrayMotion
    edited March 2017

Actually @ZCC_Productions I did figure out the city light fade. When you create your city light sphere just light the sides of the sphere that you want the lights to illuminate on.

https://youtu.be/6OiDpBZMeNA

Edit: Looks like YT crushed the blacks but still viewable.

• ZachAlan

@GrayMotion so is that why you need embedded comps? so you can light the two earths where the sun is, but then the city lights night time one has the light on the opposite side?

• GrayMotion
    edited March 2017

Yes. In the example above I setup 4 comps. The first 3, Earth Day, Clouds and Stratosphere have the exact same lighting.  In the city light comp I put (1) one light behind the Earth and (1) one  light off to the right. Basically I didn't want the front of that model lit. As the Earth rotates the parts of the city light map that are not lit will rotate into darkness and then lite up.

By setting up 4 unrolled models (comps) and them bringing them into a main comp as 2D layers I could then apply CC/Effects each layer individually.

In the case of a night shot I put the Stratosphere layer behind the Earth. In the case of the day shot I moved it to the top of the Clouds Layer.

Hope that helps

Aside -The info that Mike laid out for scale actually works pretty darn good at least in the case of Earth and Moon size and distance. In the past I could never get large clear views of the Earth. Everything looked small.

• ZachAlan

Here is a test of a shot using the technique and project as reference that @Graymotion provided.

I want to slow down the shot quite a bit. Also, there is some weird lighting glitch happening on the back of the x-wing's wings. Any I ideas on how to fix this or any other tips/suggestions?

• GrayMotion

Well that Earth comp needs some work to be sure. It's just a base file with all the elements there. Play with it! I've found that the darkside of the planet is hard to light. I don't know if I made a matte for the planet to occlude the sun...but it needs it  :-)

You are not stuck with the textures Tony supplied. You can use any texture  on the sphere as there are many out there.

(Remember- YT crushes blacks)

https://youtu.be/SPheg5cCcAo

The Krammer X-wing I assume?

Yes. Pretty sparkly. Did you setup the Illumination on the model to Cook-Torrance? Also, as mentioned in another thread the light...how far away is it? Long light = long shadows (so Iv'e been told and can confirm)

What is your Rendering options for the project? Antialising of 8x MSAA seems to work pretty well for me....16x kills the details, 4 a bit jagged.

I can share a render with you if you want of both Krammer's X-wing and a Gameready X-Wing.

• ZachAlan
    edited March 2017

@GrayMotion

Yes, the model is set to cook-torrance. I will see about the light distance...

My camera is set to align towards the x-wing move point, but when I add a new camera that doesn't have the towards layer alignment,  the lighting glitch seems to be  gone...

You did make a matte to occlude the sun in your comp. Mine currently just has the sun plane behind the earth comps, so why does it need the matte?

What would you recommend to change with the earth comp? What effects or changes could I add to improve it?

Sure, I'd like to see the x-wings. Is the gameready one free?

Thanks for all your help!

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,558 Ambassador

@ZCC_Productions When I see the little flashy stuff at the aft of the ship, I think co-planar polygons.  Make sure you haven't loaded your model twice in either HF or your Modeler (be it Blender, Lightwave, etc.)

Some of that flashy poly thingy can be reduced by turning on Ambient Occlusion under Materials.  But if it is flashing like that you probably have problems with the geometry.

Another thing you could try is go into the model properties for the object in HF and under Advanced, check the Unify Normals box.  No guarantees that will fix it though.

• ZachAlan

@Stargazer54 the unify normals seemed to help a little, but not  fully. I don't think the model is loaded twice.

I have a 2d layer with white spheres using a technique from @Triem23 to create the auto flares for the engines. The "depth source layer" is set to the x-wing, but when I take it off of the x-wing, the problem is fixed. However, I now don't know how to have the engine flares...

• Triem23

@ZCC_Productions a return to the old school way. A grade layer with lens flares (with the hot spots parented to engine points) split to be on a layer under or over the X-Wing as needed. 

• GrayMotion
    edited March 2017

I'll just leave this here for you @ZCC_Productions

One of these is Krammer's X-Wing

https://youtu.be/IRxh_nOwP2E

Workflow - I build the model/4 engine spheres in their own comps, unrolled. One point light, one ambient light.

Main comp has Xwing Comp and Xwing Luma Comp w/spheres. I add glow to the luma comp for the engines.  

Grade layer with lens dirt (x2) and anamorphic flare (overdone)

YT CRUSHES THE BLACKS!!! :-)

• GrayMotion
    edited March 2017

Sorry there @ZCC_Productions

"What would you recommend to change with the earth comp? What effects or changes could I add to improve it?"

The tutorial and about 100 more , both AE and Blender,  just like the one @tddavis pointed out is a great place to start.  All of them follow the same basic principles. Some are cheesy and look like my Night template I offered up - so don't pay much mind to those :-)

Good luck!

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,089 Enthusiast

"You are not stuck with the textures Tony supplied. You can use any texture  on the sphere as there are many out there."

Very true. The Model pack is designed for Hitfilm 3 which did not support normal maps and thus it has a bumpy sphere for the Earth. You can Google and download a normal maps to use with HF4+ and then use a simple sphere for the model. 

I'. not sure which would give faster performance in Hitfilm. Sphere with geometry and basic texture or simple sphere with texture and a normal map.

• ZachAlan

I fixed the x-wing. The solution was really simple actually: Duplicate model layer, hide the layer on timeline, and set the depth source layer of the spheres to the invisible/hidden x-wing.

Here's the test:

Still haven't done much to change the earth yet...

• tddavis
    edited March 2017

@ZCC_Productions  I rendered my Earth tutorial out in a PNG sequence to preserve the alpha (It's only 15 secs long though) and put it on my Google Drive.  Here is a link to it if you think you might want to use it:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B01ci7dc2fYVdHc2R3plN2xoMWc/view?usp=sharing

It's about 330 MB and I had to leave the atmosphere off in the tutorial follow through because it would only show up if I rendered with a background (It did funny things with the alpha) so I did them in Hitfilm.  Hope this is of some help to you.

• ZachAlan

Thanks @tddavis I took a look at it. You said it was a tutorial...

I don't think I will use it though. I would need the actual composite shot with the 3d models and what not, but thanks for sharing.

• ZachAlan

@GrayMotion

How did  you get that nice blue atmosphere effect? 

• tddavis

@ZCC_Productions  I didn't make myself clear.  What I put up on Google Drive is 15 sec PNG image sequence of the Earth rotating in space made by following that C4D tutorial I posted a link to up above in the thread not a tutorial itself.  It can be used if you desire as a layer in a composite and fiddled with the scale and I think you can adjust the duration to make it run about 30 seconds which will slow down the spin of the Earth.  I never was sure how fast that should look anyway.

• ZachAlan
  • GrayMotion

@ZCC_Productions

I have 4 comps each containing a piece of the puzzle.

Sphere 1-  Planet textures - Sphere size is 630%
    Sphere 2 - Clouds layer - Sphere size - 633%
    Sphere 3 - High Clouds - Sphere size 635%
    Sphere 4 - Atmosphere - Sphere scaled to 637%

I brought all these together into one comp. Used Tint on spheres 2-4.  Different shades of blue/red in the case of Earth. 

High Clouds and Atmosphere have a Blur added to expand/feather the sphere edges even further.

High Clouds is a soft blue texture that has a bunch of clouds feathered into the blue.

Set blend mode on High Clouds to Screen, Atmosphere layer has a Add blend.  To get spheres 2-4 to blend even better I fiddle with the opacity of those two layers just a bit.

Hope that helps. 

** I have refined the process a bit from my first 2 shares. I plan on doing a tutorial on this just for Hitfilm but the processes will be the same as you see with tutorials for After Effects , C4D, etc etc

• ZachAlan

Alright thanks for all your help @GrayMotion

I will still be looking forward to the tutorial