Add multiple clips from timeline to composite?

I saw a thing about saving time in Premiere by adding clips already on the timeline to a comp, and it seemed really helpful. That way the clips for a scene can be "contained" and your timeline becomes less "busy".

Does anyone know if it's possible to do that in Hitfilm? I have 2017 Pro and can't find a way...

Any help appreciated!

Comments

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,122 Enthusiast

If you are talking about "sequences" on the NLE timeline. No such animal in Hitfilm. Only one NLE timeline.

You can try to use composite shots as separate NLE like timelines but that can be cumbersome depending on what you are doing.

• Rygle
    Rygle Posts: 15
    edited March 2017

Thanks. Yes, it was nested sequences.

Found the original video I was looking at. From about 3:02

It would be a shame if Hitfilm can't do something like that, as it seems really useful to me.

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,122 Enthusiast

I think a lot of people think that is a useful feature to organize and simplify a timeline. This is probably why Hitfilm allows nesting composite timelines. The principle is just not extended to the NLE timeline.

• Rygle
    Rygle Posts: 15

It seems to me that since Hitfilm can do nested comps, which I've used, then it has the technical capability to do nested sequences, which I would think are technically simpler.

Right now a composite shot can function as a nested sequence, but it's just that you have to start from scratch and do all the cuts etc. it in the comp itself.

It would be great to be able to make a comp (or nested sequence) from the NLE timeline after you've already messed about with multiple edits. Just like we can currently right-click or CTRL/CMD-M a single clip and say "make composite shot" based on that, except with several clips selected. Each clip could be given its own layer in the composite with the same layer priorities from the NLE timeline.

• CedricBonnier
    CedricBonnier Posts: 1,204 Staff

Nested sequences is something we would like to add but it is going to require a lot of work to make this work. HitFilm could always have multiple comps but only one sequence, which influenced design decisions for lots of features that will have to be modified. I am pretty confident that this will happen at some point in the (distant?) future however I cannot say when...