Creating cast shadow on a tracked text

Joet7373
Joet7373 Posts: 17 Just Starting Out*

I already tracked my text with mocha and successfully put it in my scene.

Now I would like to create a cast shadow of this text but I can't find a proper way to do it.

I create a plane to cast the text shadow but this plane doesn't follow the text even though I link it to the text.

How to do?

Comments

• Yeremyah
    Yeremyah Posts: 995 Enthusiast

I'm pretty sure I talked about it in this video?

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,511 Ambassador

Hmmmm...

Clarification on your questions, first.

You've tracked your footage then added text to the scene, correct?

Without seeing the scene, I don't know what you're trying to cast a shadow on--that said, assuming you have floating text casting a shadow on the ground, your shadow catching plane should be aligned with the ground, not your text.

Your shadow catcher plane should be 3D (2D planes cannot cast or receive shadows), white--it's material options should be set to Illumination: OFF, Cast Shadows OFF, Receive Shadows: ON, and it's blend mode should be set to MULTIPLY

Your text plane should be 3D (Remember, 2D planes cannot cast or receive shadows). It's material options should be set to Illuminated: ON, Cast Shadows: ON, Receive Shadows: ON.

Your LIGHT needs to be checked, and make certain in it's layer properties that Cast Shadows is ON. It will be off by default.

If you have any 2D layers like video overlays or grade layers, your LIGHT layer needs to be BELOW those 2D layers, but ABOVE your shadow catcher and text layers.

• Joet7373
    edited March 2017

Without seeing the scene, I don't know what you're trying to cast a shadow on

Picture of my preview. I want to cast the shadow on the wharf.

http://hpics.li/0fae546

Your shadow catcher plane should be 3D (2D planes cannot cast or receive shadows), white--it's material options should be set to Illumination: OFF, Cast Shadows OFF, Receive Shadows: ON, and it's blend mode should be set to MULTIPLY

Your text plane should be 3D (Remember, 2D planes cannot cast or receive shadows). It's material options should be set to Illuminated: ON, Cast Shadows: ON, Receive Shadows: ON.

Your LIGHT needs to be checked, and make certain in it's layer properties that Cast Shadows is ON. It will be off by default.

This is exactly what I did.

Actually my text is tracked with a camera solve from mocha. How can I track the 3D shadow catcher plane? With Mocha, the plane doesn't move with the text (even when I link both)

I'm pretty sure I talked about it in this video?

When you create the plane yourself, it's pretty straightforward. I want to include the text in a real life footage.

• chriguf
    chriguf Posts: 287 Enthusiast

i make text-shadows in this form.

1. copy text-plane, rename to shadowtext

2. shadowtext and text-plane change from 2d to 3d layer

3. turn shadowtext about 90°

4. using effect dropshadow without layer

or using 3d-extrusion on text with light and a plane as floor with mask and adjust with the density and layer-add/subtract ect. its tricky.. see https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=hitfilm+shadow

• FlyingBanana78
    FlyingBanana78 Posts: 497 Enthusiast
    edited March 2017

Are you creating the text as in this tutorial?

There is also this one as well, all solves using Mocha in Hitfilm. Granted this one is a car but same principal to get the ground shadow to move with the object above it (this case a car not text)

• Joet7373
    edited March 2017

Thanks guys, the trick was to use a point to align the mocha plane as explained in the last tutorial above.

I still have another question. How to cast a shadow on a non planar surface such as a mountain or building for example? Should I create a 3D model in another software or is it possible to do everything in Hitfilm?

• chriguf
    chriguf Posts: 287 Enthusiast

with blender? no problem.

with hitfilm?  maybee with a plenty planes with camera projection and mask's