Infinite Plane?

NullUnit
NullUnit Posts: 779 Just Starting Out
I have a 1920x1080 plane that Ive made 3d. I've increased its size 2000% in the control panel and I still need it to be bigger. Is there a problem increasing the plane to say 5000%? Is this the best way to create a massive 3d plane? Is there a way to create an infinite Plane? 

Comments

• MjlnerVFX
    MjlnerVFX Posts: 184
    so you want it so big it kind of disappears in to the background or as a element in a particle sim? 
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,279 Power User
    I have done a few things with a very very large 3D space and have had objects "pop" out of existence when more than 100,000 units from the camera (I was doing the solat system to scale, don't ask why.) I think there are ways to increase render distance, but, since there is a max render distance and there isn't an infinite plane toggle, my best advice is to maybe precomp/embed your plane, but maybe increase camera fov to stretch the apparent space in the precomp.
  • AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,255 Staff
    edited October 2013
    Usually if I want to create the illusion of an infinite plane, I adjust the Fog settings in the comp, so that everything gets obscured by the fog at those distances and the edge of the plane in the distance isn't obvious.  Also, keep in mind that if your plane is still in its default position, then there is lots of surface area behind your camera, and you can push the plane backward in Z space to make it appear much bigger.  Also, you could make the actual plane's size bigger than 1920x1080.
    I believe the only Infinite Plane toggle, at present, is in the Deflector controls.  If you are using a plane as a deflector you can toggle it to infinite, so particles don't slip past the edges.
  • NullUnit
    NullUnit Posts: 779 Just Starting Out
    edited October 2013
    so you want it so big it kind of disappears in to the background or as a element in a particle sim? 

I have done a few things with a very very large 3D space and have had objects "pop" out of existence when more than 100,000 units from the camera (I was doing the solat system to scale, don't ask why.) I think there are ways to increase render distance, but, since there is a max render distance and there isn't an infinite plane toggle, my best advice is to maybe precomp/embed your plane, but maybe increase camera fov to stretch the apparent space in the precomp.
    Usually if I want to create the illusion of an infinite plane, I adjust the Fog settings in the comp, so that everything gets obscured by the fog at those distances and the edge of the plane in the distance isn't obvious.  Also, keep in mind that if your plane is still in its default position, then there is lots of surface area behind your camera, and you can push the plane backward in Z space to make it appear much bigger.  Also, you could make the actual plane's size bigger than 1920x1080.
    I believe the only Infinite Plane toggle, at present, is in the Deflector controls.  If you are using a plane as a deflector you can toggle it to infinite, so particles don't slip past the edges.

Yes, so big it kind of disappears into the background. Its going to be a floor plane for models that will be moving from one end to the other quickly. I wanted to make sure I have enough surface for them to move cross at the right speed for the right length of time. Which requires a big plane. The camera will be moving along with the models for the most part. I mainly wanted to make sure I wasn't creating a problem with the software where a something like Triem23 described might happen. It sounds like I can make a plane that has a size of say, 5000x5000 and increase its size as necessary and that would work.