Sync Multicam to Audio

TTSProdTTSProd Website User Posts: 69

I'm trying to sync the video of a 3 camera shoot.  1 cam has audio board feed that runs constantly through the event.  The other 2 cameras start and stop throughout the event with scratch audio recorded through the camera mics.  I stripped the audio out of the full length video and then tried to use the merge/sync which seems to do a decent job replacing the audio in the clip, but I can't figure out where to find the information about where the video segment belongs on the timeline.  If Hitfilm can figure out what audio to replace, so it must have also determined where that video clip should be in relation to the audio sync source.

Anyone know where the clip offset is found after merge/sync?

Ken 

Comments

• LarryPlaneLarryPlane Website User Posts: 70

I don't have an answer to this, but just out of interest, how are you doing multicam in hitfilm?

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 17,778 Ambassador

I don't have an answer either, but I'm curious. I'll tag... *spins "Wheel O' Staff..."* @Hendo

@LarryPlane he's probably cutting the old-fashioned way. Get each camera on its own track, synch them up, then toggle the tracks, cutting clips and dragging up to a Master Track. I actually know editors who still prefer this workflow over the multicam tools their editor may provide. 

• LarryPlaneLarryPlane Website User Posts: 70

There is a lot to be said for working the way you describe, but I've got used to multicam in Liquid 6, and really would love that feature j  HF. Not sure it'll ever come though as HF seems geared more in the special effects/compositing direction rather than editing.

To be honest, I'd prefer to see Markers on the timeline and on clips before I saw multicam in HF.

• TTSProdTTSProd Website User Posts: 69

@LarryPlane

Triem23 is correct in how I'm editing multicam in hitfilm.  I have never had the opportunity to use software that had a built in multicam editor so this is the way I have always done it.

@Triem23 Thanks for tagging a staff member.  I'm pretty sure the functionality I'm looking for has not been implemented, but it seems to me that with audio sync tool they have already implemented it would not be much of a stretch to extend its functionality in the way I described.  Hopefully it's on a to do list somewhere because it would be a great feature!

• HendoHendo Staff Website User Posts: 160 Enthusiast

The synchronisation offset (time in seconds) is stored in the HFP project file but not exposed anywhere in the user interface. The project file is an XML document. You could open the HFP in a text editor and search for the "MergedAudioOffset" element for the merged asset.

The MergedAudioOffset value is the time in seconds to offset the audio-only file (e.g. the digital recorder WAV) from the audio+video file (e.g. the camera movie).

You could multiply this time by the frame rate (and round accordingly) to get the number of frames equivalent.

• CedricBonnierCedricBonnier Staff Administrator Posts: 1,189 Staff

@TTSProd would it be useful to have this offset value displayed in the media properties or were you looking for a more advanced audio syncing for multi camera work?

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 17,778 Ambassador

@CedricBonnier an offset display in Properties would allow one to do the adjustments manually, but might not be the most intuitive place to look (although it IS logical). If I think of a "better" implementation, I'll post it here. 

@Hendo Thanks for the tip!  Its good to know that in a pinch there is a place to find the offset even if it does take opening the project file in an editor and a little calculation.

@CedricBonnier If the offset value was displayed in properties it would be good enough for me!  I really don't mind manually moving each clip to it's defined offset point as it's still a ton easier than manually syncing.  It would be great if there was a way to do something like right click on the merged file and there be an option to "insert at offset frame" or something like that but just displaying the offset in the hitfilm interface would be good enough for me.

@Triem23 I can't really think of a better place for the offset information to be other than properties either and it was the first place I looked for it.  The only other place I can think of is maybe making it part of the naming convention for merged audio/video so it includes the offset in frames.

@TTSProd for my money, a right-click item (applicable to multiple clips) for "move to offset" would do it. I wouldn't mind manually moving it either. 

Although I HAVE been using Hitfilm's audio sync a lot. It's actually faster/easier for small jobs than PluralEyes. 

@Triem23 This was my first time using the audio sync feature.  When I originally posted I was at work where they were having the issue outlined in my original post.  Normally the things we air are shot on professional, time code synced cameras but this was shot by a contracted company with DSLR's.  I was impressed by the audio sync feature for audio replacement but disappointed that I could not use it to insert the video clips at the proper place in the timeline.  In the end I had to suggest they buy pluraleyes to get it done as time was a factor.  It's too bad too because I would have got a nice upgrade from my audio guy pay for the day plus a rental fee for the use of my laptop... oh well, easy come easy go!  In any case if this gets implemented it will definitely get put to use for my own projects!

PluralEyes is a good solution on its own.  It's more than paid for itself in time saved. 

This discussion has been closed.