How would you measure color values in hitfilm?

MichaelJames
MichaelJames Posts: 2,034 Enthusiast
edited October 2013 in Post-production techniques
So I have started seeing a lot more people use color charts to help them get accurate color values.  Is there a color picker in hitfilm that would allow you to make sure your colors are accurate?  Something that can be used in conjucture with Levels histograms?

Comments

• Robin
    Robin Posts: 1,669 Enthusiast
    Besides the color picker with which you can select color values for specific fields there is nothing in HitFilm. When i need to check some colors, I almost always use a neat little freeware called "ColorCop". It can pick colors from any pixel of the screen (or sample a 3x3 or 5x5 area) and put out these colors in a variety of formats - RGB, YCMK, Hex, HTML-safe, you name it. It also suggests complete color palettes that work well together with the selected color.
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,079 Ambassador
    Hitfilm does "eyedropper" when you select the color picker, so, obtain a digital color chart and you can pull it's values for reference. Color accuracy would be easier with a curves tool--my #1 wish for Hitfilm color grading upgrades.
  • Robin
    Robin Posts: 1,669 Enthusiast
    a curves tool--my #1 wish for Hitfilm color grading upgrades.
    Second that. So helpful when color grading in Sony Vegas, would be awesome in HitFilm too.
  • HybridHalo
    HybridHalo Posts: 56 Enthusiast
    The best way to be sure is to have a decent monitor that you're viewing in an evenly lit environment (not coloured bulbs) which has calibrated by a device designed to calibrate your monitors colour output to be correct.
    I think an always on colour sampler should be a feature of all compositing applications, though you should keep in mind whilst you're working - that whatever you output is going to be viewed on a wide range of monitors each with their own, often wildly incorrect colour calibrations. If you ensure how you're viewing things is correct and you output to that - it's the best you can do without having several test monitors.
  • rgbii
    rgbii Posts: 965 Just Starting Out
    Second that. So helpful when color grading in Sony Vegas, would be awesome in HitFilm too.

Third that.  :)

For the OP, as Robin mentioned, you can find third party programs to install to do this. I've used ColorPic and like it.

• MichaelJames
    I didn't know about the color picker but thanks for mentioning it
  • mark_e
    mark_e Posts: 190 Just Starting Out
    if you are running it with vegas pro integration drop the hitfilm project in the timeline then you can use all the scopes there vector scope, rgb parade etc. 
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,079 Ambassador
    For whatever reason, Vegas and MichaelJames's computer don't mix well. He's a Premiere guy. Don't get him started. (joke, Michael. :-))
  • MichaelJames
    Lol I've had an issue with Adobe's services... so at the moment im forced to use Vegas.  It just needs to be limited to very simple stuff.  With Sony Vegas you can use Davinci Resolve in connection to Hitfilm.
  • jinchoung
    jinchoung Posts: 55

i'd love it if in future updates, hitfilm would just tell you the rgb values under your cursor as with after effects.

not a huge deal but just the other day i wanted to the check the color of a cursor and out of habit i drifted my cursor over the image and was confounded when i realized there was no pixel color read out.

• Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Posts: 2,481 Enthusiast

For the time being there's a tiny, simple utility I've used before called.....

Colorpicker

It's written in AutoIt and the source code is on the same page. To use it start the executable and drag the window to somewhere out of the way. This is important because you can't move the window during color selection! Anyway choose RGB or HEX values and click the Color Picker button. Now as you move your pointer around you'll get your color values. Hitting the End key stops the color picking and copies the last color value to the clipboard. To exit the program completely make sure it has focus (move the cursor over it and click) and hit the Escape key.

• rgbii
    rgbii Posts: 965 Just Starting Out

I've used the colorpicker program Aladdin4d suggested for years.  I don't need it often, but it's a nice tool to have since you can grab the color of anything showing on your screen, no matter the source/program.