Hey friends, I have an audio question.

TriFlixFilmsTriFlixFilms Website User Posts: 925 Just Starting Out
edited February 2017 in Post-production techniques

Can anyone salvage this audio? I have a lot of footage that matches this audio pattern and its currently unusable garbage. I have exhausted all of my resources so far and am looking to you guys once again...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/obiq6pu43fx3fa8/AACGoYa14yHz8yQUjKFcCp_Aa?dl=0

A couple of great guys from the forum gave it a shot a month ago, but so far the results are unsuccessful. I am willing to look into any and all solutions at this point. Thanks!

Comments

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

That's pretty atrocious but I'll give a shot here shortly

• TriFlixFilmsTriFlixFilms Website User Posts: 925 Just Starting Out

I gave it another try after I posted the question and got better results Audacity than in Hitfilm, FCPX, or GarageBand. I changed the link to include the entire folder and added the cleaned wav file. Unless something better is suggested I think I'll have to make it work.

Do you think that cleaned one is at least acceptable? 

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

Here is a quick attempt

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz93lenyt0hdwmv/TriFlix_FirstCleanup.wav?dl=0

Still some noise and I got impatient and pushed the reduction passes more than I should have so now there's some processing artifacts but I think it could be made somewhat usable with some more care and effort. It needs some Nectar love (really just better compression) and I used a tape hiss sample to add a little different noise back in but there's probably something better for that than what I used.

Other things before I forget - The right channel has a considerably higher level of noise than the left so dump it and work only with the left. Noise reduction works better with multiple passes removing a little bit each time as opposed to trying to do it all at once and last but not least if you can add some acoustic panels. The lens noise has a BUNCH of harmonics and the bounce just makes it worse. 

Awesome! Well I think that answers my question haha. Thank you very much!

At least the footage is recoverable now (for the most part)...

Lesson learned, unless you want to deal with and external recorder at ALL times, just buy a camera with an external mic port. Live and learn :)

• TotopoCraftTotopoCraft Website User Posts: 194 Just Starting Out

I suggest using a DAW called Reaper, has a really cool Plug-in for background noise reduction.

The official tutorial is here, pay close attention from 2:13 an beyond. 

This DAW is shareware, but the version you download is fully functional. 

Thank you very much! @emecorp Great find!