Thinking of Retooling my youtube food review series

solosamuraiwhatchef
solosamuraiwhatchef Website User Posts: 175 Enthusiast

So i started a series on youtube, called Aussie Foods. Idea, i run around Australian outdoors reviewing Aussie products. Kind of like bear grylls, but well, eating Tim Tams lol. After 47 episodes. Im thinking, is it time to retool it. it hasnt been successful, but i still enjoy making it. I use Hitfilm for all fx and editing.

I was thinking, maybe i should start to add some, well, Fx and more comedy, VFX trickery to give it more action and  make it something real different, but while still keeping it outdoors style.

any thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5XU8h6HwwpNPWwP4eqHfhz1B4m3VjDpQ

Comments

• Palacono
    Palacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,445 Enthusiast

Ummm.....you want my honest advice? If not, look away now. :)

I think the original idea was a non-starter and that's why it got no traction. I've watched a few of them before when you've linked to them, but thought they'd be better as 30 seconds of just the food with all the rest of you wandering around in the woods removed.

Unless you'd been able to show off something especially interesting on each occasion, like a unique animal doing something cute (ducks on a pond don't count), or a great view from some lookout point, the rest wasn't very engaging.

There was nothing in the few I just rewatched at random that would tell me you weren't just about anywhere in the world that had some trees and fairly dull weather.

Other non-starters: Eating food while in the bath, on the toilet, with your head sticking out of car window, while buried up to your neck in sand.

Cookinator, on the other hand, I love! :D

So how to improve it? No idea, not sure who your target audience is, or what they'd want, TBH.

• solosamuraiwhatchef

@Palacono thanks. I appreciate your honesty. 

• TotopoCraft
    TotopoCraft Website User Posts: 194 Just Starting Out
    edited February 2017

Go from scratch. 

@Palacono already said it, think about engaging an audience. And here some comments of my own: 

Coconut&Lychee video. So... 85 seconds of long title sequence and dude running in the woods till the first human interaction, and other 32 secs of running man at the end. That is 52% of the video.

Does TimTam has anything in common with trees? It could help getting better close ups of the products too.

Fruit Pouch video. Cool, 5 seconds to human inter-... oh, never mind 40 secs, and another 30 secs of running dude at the end (37%). So another supermarket food review. Is that what Aussies eat? 

Aussie BBQ video. Great to see no store bought junk food. Wait, what? No human interaction, no tutorial, just saw some meat burning on the grill in this video. That BBQ Dragon is a nice device! But those couple of seconds won't do for the video. 

Cherry Ripe. A 181 seconds video, 32 to first human interaction due to title sequence or running dude, 90 seconds to review it and 90seconds of a recipe (that's new). 

Cross that info with Google Analytics on how many seconds the viewers stay on your videos, it can be enlightening.

About the VFX to give it more action, remember that the action has to be in the footage already. Adding VFX to a stale footage perhaps won't work. 

Of course, there is no formula to success but to keep the hard work till find it. 

Finally, check this out. Is a Metalhead, studio owner... but it has some points related hahaha

WARNING - Foul language ahead:

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,009 Ambassador
    edited February 2017

Alrighty then.   Holy schnikees, I think I laughed my arse off, but this guy is right on.  "Get to the point, I don't want to hear your life story." 

!!! But . . .@Emcorp, you need a disclaimer on your post telling folks there is some (actually a butt load of) foul language in the vid.  Just to give our group a heads up about the explicatives.  Only fair.

But, I laughed my friggin' arse off.  Literally, it's on the floor.  I've fallen and I can't get up.

• Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

Did somebody mention Tim Tam?

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,009 Ambassador

@WishingStaffStudios I have to say the Cookinator series was my favorite.  The walkabout in the bush eating a cookie, candy thingy really didn't have much of a hook.

If you want to expand out, you've got 4 years of Trump in the Kitchen. (shorter if we're lucky)

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,998 Ambassador

Pretty much agree with everyone else here. The "Man vs Wild" hook isn't as engaging, and is going to require more "extraneous" time taking away from the food. 

Since "Cookinator" has been brought up, that's a great hook--it's absurd, your voice actor is friggin funny, and the pacing of Cookinator is a bit better, since you can go from the intro joke right into "Ingredients aquired."

• solosamuraiwhatchef

wow. eye opening. looks like Aussie foods ends now! well at episode 50.. still it was fun making it and great exercise.

although to the point, your feedback is appreciated.

• solosamuraiwhatchef

Emecorp if i do go vfx, of course it will enhance live action stuff. So i would should with VFX in mind, and enhance what i do.... I dont want to give up the outdoor hiking idea, but I can see how it has got boring.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,998 Ambassador

Or rethink the structure? Maybe a teaser at the beginning, more like a 1980's show, where they'd show some clips from the episode, or do the "This week on..." A teaser of the food up front might buy enough time to do the Bear Gryllis bit? 

BTW we should give you general Kudos for trying to do different things with the cooking/food review genre. You are pushing the boundaries here. :-) 

I can see Cousins being a good pair of characters for food stuff, but the production requirements of a dual character might make that impractical. 

• solosamuraiwhatchef
    edited February 2017

Triem23   thanks for comments as always.

• solosamuraiwhatchef

Emecorp great video... thanks for the analysis and that video

• solosamuraiwhatchef
    edited February 2017

ok so i already had some footage, but thought, taking everyones ideas in to consideration, i would edit this and get to the point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ugvej7QZ6k

• TotopoCraft
    TotopoCraft Website User Posts: 194 Just Starting Out

Sorry!!! Yeah, I forgot to say that this video has lots of foul language! Sorry all.

Cookinator was fun, the accent, the sound effects hahaha. It could benefit from better editing, but for sure a better pacing than the running dude.

Keep doing stuff man! that's the thing. No matter what people say, you can take what is useful to you.

• Triem23

Putting the food up front helps the pacing.

Chris, I think we can save this series--remember, Cookinator also had some retooling at one point, as well. If I remember correctly you tweaked the format for three episodes in a row.

With Aussie Foods Down Under, the tag line is "Where Food Reviews Become an Adventure." BUT--well you're hiking through some lovely landscapes, but a hike isn't an adventure. So... a little drama might enhance the mood.

See, on-camera you're really likeable, and, when you're doing comedy, you're really funny, but the series doesn't live up to the adventure tag

You already brought up Bear Grylls. Well, I don't think you're going to out and film an episode for 10 days, being helicoptered to a hotel every night, and having your crew do all your camera setups and assembling your gear, while lying your ass off and saying you're all alone and sleeping on the tundra (can you tell I have no respect for Grylls?), but, maybe you could steal his premise--being alone in the wilderness and having to survive. Perhaps as a "continuing" series, where you're trapped alone in the wilderness and you have to get back to civilization with the food you're reviewing? Perhaps every 5-10 episodes is a new adventure. This shouldn't take too much more time to shoot--just some tweaks in the dialog. "Well, it's been three days, and my pack's getting low--man I should have brought something more nutritious than 6 packets of different Tam-Tams!" Or if a food you review is terrible, *Holds up knife* "Well, I wouldn't feed that to a dog, so, if I want to stay alive, I'm going to have to hunt me up a huntsman spider for dinner!" Cheat an episode at night, around a fire--play it up that you're freezing? Perhaps across a series of 5-10 that make one "adventure" you can get grimier and dirtier as that "adventure" goes on? Possibly even get some stock footage (that doesn't have to match at all--it might be funnier if it doesn't)? And do the episode where, I dunno, you're being stalked by a croc, and have to use Vegemite as bait or distraction? (Who am I fooling? Vegemite is poison.) Perhaps each episode can end on a "cliffhanger." "Oh, hell, a forest fire! " or a shot of you on the edge of the ravine that you have to cross to get home, or spotting a dangerous animal (Like an AFRICAN Elephant--stock footage--, which you'd never see), or dodging gunfire from the band of poachers? These can all be quick, ending with the "to be continued." This would dovetail into the next episode, with the "Wow, I had to run 15 miles straight to get away from those poachers, but, fortunately for me they got stepped on by an african elephant! Boy, that elephant is really lost! Anyway, now I'm hungry, so it's time for a Cadbury's Cherry Ripe!" As you get "weaker" towards the end of an "adventure" you could even have worse camera setups--setting up a tilted dutch angle because you're too tire to do a straight shot?

Again, the majority of this can be dialog-based. Don't want to turn this into a VFX nightmare like Cookinator.

I dunno, I'm just riffing here. :-)

• solosamuraiwhatchef

Triem23  your riffing is brilliant! you've basically listed a few things i thought of in early days but ended up straying from the comedy/fiction... I think with your post, its giving me ideas on future directions.

Thanks as always for feedback and ideas. much appreciated

• Triem23

No worries, Chris. Always glad to help. :-)

• solosamuraiwhatchef
    edited March 2017

Phase one of the retooling is under way. I'm splitting exploring off to a another channel 

And working on adding comedy and fun back into food channel.  Will keep you posted

• TriFlixFilms
    TriFlixFilms Website User Posts: 925 Just Starting Out

Music was great and the video length seemed appropriate. My biggest suggestion would be to research a bit into pacing.

Lots of great shots, don't be afraid to get creative with the camera. I realize its not always easy shooting solo, but its important to use variety and general rule of thumb is never use the same style 3 shots in a row. 

I think this series has a lot of potential and could lead to a lot of creative stories. It's something  I am trying to learn about making my vlog series, I need to be able to take anything and turn it into a story. You are an editor, you have the power to create anything you want! Make a great story :)

But I'm just a 20 y/o engineering students, so what do I know haha.

• solosamuraiwhatchef

TriFlixFilms thanks for your insight. I will be honest, I took footage for this pilot episode from my other youtube Series "Aussie Foods Down Under" and much like you said, as an editor decide to turn it into a different story. Going forward I will film as if filming a story, you very right!
    Thanks for feedback

• Palacono
    edited March 2017

A little stabilisation on the handheld stuff wouldn't do any harm. :)

Lots of free stuff out there, but Prodrenalin v1 is only $29, so might be worth a try. Free trial with a logo on it will tell you if it's worth it, or spending more for better, or less - but possibly more work - for free solutions.

https://www.prodad.com/Mobile-Phone-Actioncam-Optimization/ProDRENALIN-V1-29802,l-us.html

Prodrenalin v2 is (arguably) better, as is Mercalli V4, but they cost a lot more (£99 and $299, or $99 with a coupon, if it's still valid), so for 'bang for buck' this might be enough.

• solosamuraiwhatchef
    edited March 2017

Palacono sadly  my sony video camera has a decent built in stabliser  no idea why its not as smooth as it once was. also i have a gimbal for my go pro, but  has developed an annoying occasional shake. So budget wise im tapped out lol

will check out these software solutions. thanks

• Palacono

I have a couple of Sony compacts and the EIS in them can sometimes be more annoying than useful. The drifting that can occur when you just want to point at something and it compensates for your movement, then you compensate to recentre the subject, then it compensates again for that, then you recompensate again....and so I often turn it off, or to the lowest setting. ;)

I also use a GoPro Gimbal, the Zhiyun Tech Rider M, and over time, or after large temperature changes, it occasionally needs recalibrating to get it rock steady again. Doesn't actually shake, but the horizon can start to drift a little. Press and hold a button, put it on a flat surface in various positions and the sensors update and all is well again. :)

Whatever the type, unless yours is physically damaged, or you have incorrect weight distribution, such as a heavy lens filter of some kind which can cause shaking; I'd expect it to have some similar way of recalibrating itself.

ProDrenalin also has a defisheye option for GoPro footage, although you could also just do that in Hitfilm. ;)

• solosamuraiwhatchef
    edited March 2017

Palacono just tested the $29 prodrenalin, seems decent... havent tried the more expensive v2 version thou, not sure if i want to, because then i might one to spend the cash...

will try your idea for re-calibrating thanks for the tips