How do we create end-bounce and overshoot motion in Hitfilm?

DavlonDavlon Website User Posts: 282 Just Starting Out

Hitfilm has options for Ease-out and Ease-in, and has the Value Graph for controlling motion.

How do we do end-bounce and overshoot as described on this page?

http://www.motionscript.com/articles/bounce-and-overshoot.html

Comments

• PalaconoPalacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,442 Enthusiast
    edited February 2017

Use more than one keyframe at decreasing heights for bounce, and the same for position and rotation.

Doesn't need to be very accurate, it's happening in less than a second, so to stop at 100 from 0, then: 0, 115, 90, 105, 100 is close enough. You can add bigger swings and go on longer with smaller decrements if "friction" is less.

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,186 Moderator

@Palacono  Would that be called "fauxriction" since it's simulated friction? 

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast
    edited February 2017

@tddavis Only if you can call a Quebecois fauxrench

@Aladdin4d  That could also apply to some Louisianans too. :)

• chrigufchriguf Website User Posts: 287 Just Starting Out

a little trick for realistic swing and bounce.

make a video from a pendule, a gumball with rope or a bouncing ball and copy the keyframe....

• DavlonDavlon Website User Posts: 282 Just Starting Out

Perhaps it's a new feature request.  I want "Bounce-End" and "Overshoot-End" to be options in keyframing.

Is there a way to set up a formula in Value Graph and have it be called and applied to a motion path -- so it takes into account the speed of motion and then calculates the amount/duration/intensity of the bounce or overshoot?

Does anyone have access to the Hitfilm programming staff? Can we request that someone look at this discussion to get their input?

How about some of our (much-appreciated) tutorial experts?

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,303 Ambassador
    edited February 2017

There is already a dev-moderated Wishlist thread. 

http://hitfilm.com/forum/discussion/38770/the-hitfilm-wishlist-what-features-do-you-want#latest

Hitfilm currently has no expressions or scripting, so, no, there is no formula to plug it. 

A bounce/overshoot formula also would have to take mass into account, as well as material properties (a material's elasticity  has huge bearing on how much it bounces), so this is NOT a trivial request. You're effectively asking for a full physics sim. 

Or, you can keyframe like most artists (not working in a dedicated 3D program with full physics sims) have done since forever. 

I point out bounce and overshoot aren't that hard to keyframe. Especially with the value graphs where a bezier handle can be pulled in such a way as to cause overshoot. It's actually probably faster to keyframe than it would be to set up the values for a physics sim since you'd have to define elasticity, mass, and set up a scale of pixels-per-meter. Unless Hitfilm were to be nice enough to spend a lot of time providing a drop down of preset materials, that's a lot of research.  

Ok, a little research. Finding elasticity values for materials took less than 30 seconds. 

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/young-modulus-d_417.html

• DavlonDavlon Website User Posts: 282 Just Starting Out

Thanks Triem23 --

Can I invite our experts to perhaps make tutorials on the topic?

If each of the tutorial-gurus makes a video lesson on synthetic bounce/overshoot,  Hitfilm videos can take a big step up  -- even if the program isn't there yet.   The effect is very impressive and I'm guessing there is a great deal of interest in the topic, as it can be used in motion graphics and live action composites as well.

On a similar topic, I've seen the Hitfilm bouncing ball tutorials, but without the object-deform effect of squash at the low point and stretch  at the high point of the bounce, the motion still seems primitive.

There are so many times I've wanted to just go ahead and buy the full version of HItfilm, but I couldn't justify the purchase because the program is missing some important tools I need -- With the greatest respect and admiration for everyone at FXHome and our entire online community...

• PalaconoPalacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,442 Enthusiast

@Davlon Apply a couple of scale keyframes to the ball to make it squash and rebound. 

While it's nice to have some of the scripting that AE does, a few keyframes isn't hard to do.

What would be useful is the ability to make Presets of Transforms that you apply to a Point, so you can just Parent things to them to inherit animations from a library of Presets that have bounce, spin, scale, wobble etc., but there are ways around that using some of the simpler Effects instead of a Point.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,303 Ambassador

You can always ask. Depends on if it's something that interests the tutorial creator, or if it's something that fits their current plans. For myself, nope, I ain't getting into overshoot animations. That's a specific subset of animation, and, bluntly, I already have some 39(!) tutorials in the pipeline already in a curriculum order that--no exaggeration--I worked on for almost two years before beginning recording. So, for me, yeah, anyone can ask me for any tutorial they want, but they'll have to wait. :-)

Sounds like a good challenge for @HitfilmSensei @Aiden or @inScapeDigital . inScape just asked for tutorial suggestions, and Sensei takes a lot of those.

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,301 Ambassador

In my tutorial pipeline, I am working on a tutorial for a FX shot I did last Summer. It is me jumping over a car. I was fortunate to get a lot of help from the forums to determine the timing of the physics when adjusting the jump to actually clear the car. I have not created the tutorial yet, but it is in the works. The realistic look of the jump was definitely the hardest part, as I wanted it to look like I really jumped over the car. Here is the final shot. What do you think? Does it look like a real stunt?

@HitfilmSensei  I saw this when you posted it originally but you have definitely improved on it since then.  Looking forward to the tutorial immensely.  And that's quite the Jedi Jump there.