Cursor not stopping

MandokeithMandokeith Website User Posts: 17

Why doesn't the cursor stop when it reaches the end of a clip? but it does stop when I'm trying to adjust sound levels. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,948 Enthusiast

Question 1. Hitfilm is just not looking to see when it (playhead) is beyond the last item on the timeline. It just keeps playing until the timeline end time.

Question 2. Hitfilm stops playback with any mouse click or keyboard action. Not just sound levels. Everything. It's just the way the program operates.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,295 Ambassador

Expansion on Question 1.

Unless you have set an in and out point on the timeline, and turned on loop playback, by default, every NLE, from Hitfilm to Premiere to Vegas, FCPX, Avid, etc will keep "playing" past the end of the content on a timeline until the end of the timeline. In Hitfilm the Editor Timeline is a three hour block. 

Expansion to the expansion.

Vegas stops playing once beyond the last item on the timeline.

In Hitfilm the editor/NLE timeline in not 3 hours. It is whatever it's current length has grown to from the default/start by dropping media on the timeline. Maybe the max is 3 hours.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,295 Ambassador

Expansion to the expansion to the expansion. 

Odd. Vegas doesn't stop at the end of timeline content on my machine, and never has. Wonder if there's a setting I could change. The playhead scuttles off to infinity. 

@NormanPCN yeah, the max Editor Timeline in Hitfilm is three hours. While technically an oversimplification, it's not totally incorrect to call the Editor Timeline a three hour block. :-) 

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

Addition to the expansion of the expansion of the expansion.

Vegas doesn't stop at the end of the timeline content for me either. 

• CedricBonnierCedricBonnier Staff Administrator, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,190 Staff

The max Editor timeline duration is 10 hours ;)

• JMcAllisterJMcAllister Website User Posts: 599 Just Starting Out

@CedricBonnier Seriously?  

*Recreates Andy Warhol's "Empire" inside HitFilm*

edited February 2017

I guess I have the magic touch with Vegas.

I verified am not hallucinating. Here are a couple of examples of what I see. You'll have to trust I am not hitting any keyboard shortcuts to fake it.

EDIT: removed the videos since I forgot to mute audio and they have copyrighted music. Only 20 seconds but...

• TotopoCraftTotopoCraft Website User Posts: 194 Just Starting Out

Question to the expansion to the expansion on not-hallucination

Will HitFilm behave like Vegas if one sets the work area limited to the content of the timeline?

P seems to be the keyboard shortcut.

"Will HitFilm behave like Vegas if one sets the work area limited to the content of the timeline?"

I would have to say no. With a work area set and looping turned on Hitfilm will loop play. Otherwise with looping off, Hitfilm does not care about the loop region.

Contrast with Vegas. With a selection set (loop region in Hitfilm terms) and if you start playing inside the selection it will always stop play at the end of the selection. If loop is on, the it will loop the selection like Hitfilm.

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

@NormanPCN I believed you and for the heck of it I tried a clean install of Vegas on a clean install of Windows (deploying a bunch of laptops this week) just to see what would happen and it stopped after the last event just like you said. That means me and Triem are probably changing an option that overrides that whenever we adjust a fresh install to our personal tastes.

@Aladdin4d @NormanPCN what Aladdin said wouldn't surprise me. S'why I asked about settings. 

Wonder what it was? I'll have to poke into settings. 

This discussion has been closed.