Proxies

KenyonChapman
KenyonChapman Website User Posts: 2

Hello I was wondering how I could move my project files and still keep them connected to the original HitFilm file I am using HF4 Ex. 

Comments

• Palacono
    Palacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,445 Enthusiast
    edited February 2017

I (think I) understand the question, but not the title of the thread.

How are Proxies relevant?

• KenyonChapman
    KenyonChapman Website User Posts: 2

Proxies are the source files that would need to be deleted or moved. My main goal is to transfer the entire project to an external drive 

• CedricBonnier
    CedricBonnier Staff Administrator, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,192 Staff

@KenyonChapman your proxies are saved with the unique identifier of your projects. If you move your project, the proxies will not be deleted and will be loaded next time you open your project.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,976 Ambassador

@CedricBonnier to clarify, I think Kenyon is asking if Hitfilm will still maintain the proxy link if he moves the proxies to an archive drive for storage and returns to the project, say, a year later. This, of course, assumes he returns the proxies to the proxy folder. This also assumes he's working on one project at a time and moving it on completion, as proxies all have those random names.

I wouldn't mind a final answer on that myself. :-)

• DannyDev
    DannyDev Staff Administrator, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 338 Staff

@Triem23

I think Kenyon is asking if Hitfilm will still maintain the proxy link if he moves the proxies to an archive drive for storage and returns to the project, say, a year later

Proxies (pre renders) were never really intended to persist for the long term outside of the project in which they were created. If they were, they would be have been saved as part of the project file. 

Think of them more as a 'render cache'.

The 'random' names of the proxy directories and files correspond to the unique IDs of the media and comps from which they were created inside the project.

They were never intended to be directly viewed, edited or managed by the user.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,976 Ambassador

@Danny77uk Thank you. :-) It's actually what I suspected as other behavior would be a potential workaround to demo mode export restrictions. 

• Palacono
    Palacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,445 Enthusiast
    edited February 2017