Sphere effect mirrors texture?

Hi,
when I was playing around with the sphere effect to create planets I noticed that texture images seem to be mirrored. I saw it when I turned the texture image of the earth into a sphere. My solution to this was to mirror the 2D texture in an image editor before importing it into Hitfilm. However, is this a normal behavior?
In my steps I simply drop an image into a composite shot and apply the Sphere effect to it. Then I turn off wrapping and extend the texture to 2.0 instead of 1.0. If the image hasn't been mirrored before, this will result in a mirrored earth. Let me know if you want me to go into greater detail on how I do this.
Br,
Andreas

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,059 Ambassador
    I tried it myself, and I also find that the surface wrap image is reversed.
    However, rather than go into an image editor to flip the texture, I loaded my image into a composite shot, made it a 3D plane and rotated it 180 degrees on the Y axis. Then I embedded that Comp into another Comp and added my Spherize filter. At least flipping the source texture in an embedded comp inside Hitfilm saves you a trip to an image editor and having to save a new texture file.
  • RossTrowbridge
    RossTrowbridge Posts: 423 Enthusiast
    Couldn't you just go to the Transform properties of your image, unlock the scaling, and change just the X scaling to -100%? (This assumes you've gone for a 3D object.)
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,059 Ambassador
    That would work as well. So there's TWO ways to flip the imagein Hitfilm (at least)
  • AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,252 Staff
    The sphere effect works by doubling your image, and applying one copy to each hemisphere of the sphere.  This mirroring means that there will be a seamless texture, regardless of whether the texture you are using was designed for tiling or not.  It also means that the image will be mirrored on one side of the sphere. if you were to rotate the sphere 180 degrees, you would see your original non-mirrored image.  The non-mirrored version always shows by default for me though, and I have to rotate the sphere 180 to see the mirrored version.
    Once the Scale ratio is set to 2, though, it does seem that the mirrored copy is the one that is stretched to fill the surface, which I think is a bug.  When generating random spheres its easy to miss, but when applying a familiar texture like the earth, it would become obvious.  Flipping the texture provides a solution for now, but I'll see if we can sort this out in the future so the flipping isn't necessary.  Good catch.
  • gNNY
    gNNY Posts: 24
    thanks for your help and suggestions.
    Triem23's method workds: make a composite shot, insert image, make it 3D and rotate around the Y axis. Then make another composite shot, import the first one and apply the Sphere effect. When turning "Scale Ratio" in "Sphere > Surface Texture" to 2, I get my desired effect.
    Surprisingly, rtrowbridge's soution didn't work for me. I can swap the image around by "unchaining/unlocking" the aspect ratio and then set the X scale to -100%. However, when I apply the Sphere effect directly to that image, it reverts back to the "normal" view. Even changing the value again afterwards doesn't have the desired effect. But if I use this method inside a composite shot as in Triem23's method, then it works also. It might be that this was what you meant with your comment, rtrowbridge, and that I've simply misunderstood it.
    In any case, currently one needs to flip the image to retain correct orientation. This can be done either in an image processing application or inside Hitfilm using a separate composite shot and then doing a 3D 180 turn or by scaling the X axis to -100%.
    Thanks, Alex, for your comment as well. When an update comes for that, I have to make sure that I update my project files also so that I don't end up with a flipped view again ;)