Intel HD 4000 & HitFilm 2

Hi guys,
a new Hit Film fan here. I downloaded the trial for Hitfilm 2 ultimate a few days ago, and all I got for half an hour was crashes.
After getting my hopes up, I uninstalled everything...
..But today, I realised that my computer has switchable graphics (Nividia Optimus), and that maybe my computer was running the onboard graphics when running Hitfilm 2.
So I reinstalled Hitfilm, and set my system to use the dedicated GPU. (I have a Lenovo Thinkpad Edge, with Intel HD 4000 onboard which mostly gets used, and a Nvidia GeForce GT635M).
Sure enough, not a single crash in 24 hours straight use (well, almost :P ), whereas Hitfilm crashed at least 5 times in 30 minutes when I was running the Intel HD 4000 graphics.
I just thought I'd post this, as I think from memory the Intel HD 4000 is listed as within minimum specs to run Hitfilm.
I am running Windows 8 64bit, but I have the latest Intel drivers, maybe that has something to do with it?
Anyway, this is more of a post that may help future Hitfilm users. The Intel HD 3000 and 4000 may or may not work on your system for Hitfilm work. Hope this helps.
Cheers.
Justin
PS Loving the software! The last time I was so excited about software was 12 years ago when I first discovered Cubase.

Comments

• Ady
    Ady Staff Posts: 1,512 Staff
    Hi guys,
    a new Hit Film fan here. I downloaded the trial for Hitfilm 2 ultimate a few days ago, and all I got for half an hour was crashes.
    After getting my hopes up, I uninstalled everything...
    ..But today, I realised that my computer has switchable graphics (Nividia Optimus), and that maybe my computer was running the onboard graphics when running Hitfilm 2.
    So I reinstalled Hitfilm, and set my system to use the dedicated GPU. (I have a Lenovo Thinkpad Edge, with Intel HD 4000 onboard which mostly gets used, and a Nvidia GeForce GT635M).
    Sure enough, not a single crash in 24 hours straight use (well, almost :P ), whereas Hitfilm crashed at least 5 times in 30 minutes when I was running the Intel HD 4000 graphics.
    I just thought I'd post this, as I think from memory the Intel HD 4000 is listed as within minimum specs to run Hitfilm.
    I am running Windows 8 64bit, but I have the latest Intel drivers, maybe that has something to do with it?
    Anyway, this is more of a post that may help future Hitfilm users. The Intel HD 3000 and 4000 may or may not work on your system for Hitfilm work. Hope this helps.
    Cheers.
    Justin
    PS Loving the software! The last time I was so excited about software was 12 years ago when I first discovered Cubase.

Hi Justin,
    The Intel HD 4000 is supported & should work, what was most likely at fault is your drivers were out of date. I would recommend visiting the Intel website in the link below & updating the drivers for your system.
    It might perhaps be a wise move to update them for your Nvidia card also & again the link is again below.
    Intel Website
    Nvidia
    Thanks,
    Ady

• Thanks for the reply Ady.
    I just checked, and my intel and nvidia drivers are up to date.
    It's not a problem for me personally, as I can use the nvidia card when running Hitfilm 2 ultimate, and I guess anyone else with just an Intel HD 3000 or 4000 would try it for themselves with your free trial.
    Perhaps the issues I was having with the intel HD 4000 are related to my CPU? On the game-debate.com website, they say (in reference to the intel HD 4000):
    "The performance depends a lot on the CPU its embedded as the clock frequencies and other factors variate according to the CPU itself."
    And I have an i7-3632QM running at 2.20GHz, which isn't the fastest CPU by any stretch, and I have 8GB RAM.
    Or the other possibility is that there is some setting in the Intel HD 4000 control panel that needs to be changed perhaps?
    Anyway, I am happy with Hitfilm 2 - it runs great on the Nvidia GT 635M.
    Cheers.
    Justin
  • Ady
    Ady Staff Posts: 1,512 Staff
    Thanks for the reply Ady.
    I just checked, and my intel and nvidia drivers are up to date.
    It's not a problem for me personally, as I can use the nvidia card when running Hitfilm 2 ultimate, and I guess anyone else with just an Intel HD 3000 or 4000 would try it for themselves with your free trial.
    Perhaps the issues I was having with the intel HD 4000 are related to my CPU? On the game-debate.com website, they say (in reference to the intel HD 4000):
    "The performance depends a lot on the CPU its embedded as the clock frequencies and other factors variate according to the CPU itself."
    And I have an i7-3632QM running at 2.20GHz, which isn't the fastest CPU by any stretch, and I have 8GB RAM.
    Or the other possibility is that there is some setting in the Intel HD 4000 control panel that needs to be changed perhaps?
    Anyway, I am happy with Hitfilm 2 - it runs great on the Nvidia GT 635M.
    Cheers.
    Justin

Good stuff!
    Drivers are usually the main culprit for most problems, but I'm glad you are on top of things & are bang up to date.
    In fairness if the software is working fine with the Nvidia GT 635M then I would just leave it at that. Changing the settings on the Intel HD could break functionality for you elsewhere when your system comes to use it. Best to just leave it as it is, unless something horrendous turns up in the meantime.
    Cheers,
    Ady