Audio from Camera Question

GRCGRC Website User Posts: 4

Is there no way to get 2 "mono" channels onto an editor timeline, instead of a mixed stereo channel from camera footage?? Example: I shoot using input 1 for ambient audio, and input 2 for boom or lav mic...I want to get 2 separate channels on the timeline. I am used to Premiere, and it is simple in that program.

Am I just missing something? Just testing the HF waters, wanting to see if it is a tool I can start using. Thanks!

Comments

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,945 Enthusiast

If you are saying that you have a video file which has two audio tracks and Hitfilm is only able to import one of those tracks, then this is the way it is. Hitfilm only supports one audio track per media file. It imports the first one and ignores the others. You have extract the extra audio tracks (2dn, 3rd, etc) to an audio file and import those audio files into Hitfilm.

• GRCGRC Website User Posts: 4

Thanks for the reply, that was what I was suspecting.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,225 Ambassador

Poking around, I also don't see a way to separate stereo channels to split a regular stereo film and just pan the left channel center.

Yeah, I didn't see anything like that either, kind of leaves you stuck with making a trip to an audio app.  

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,225 Ambassador

Well. In these situations the go-to suggestion is Audacity. It's free, it's cross platform and it's a decent editor with a lot of powee.

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast
    edited January 2017

@GRC I think FFMpeg would be the best choice for what you're after. You can set a drag and drop batch script or add a script to the right click Send To menu. This is the basic command to extract a stereo track to two mono wav tracks

ffmpeg -I input_file -map_channel 0.0.0 left.wav -map_channel 0.0.1 right.wav

More complex but you can use a pan filter as well.

ffmpeg -i input_file -filter_complex "[0:0]pan=1c|c0=c0[left];[0:0]pan=1c|c0=c1[right]" -map "[left]" left.wav -map "[right]" right.wav

If you're transcoding to something more edit friendly the tool you use to do that might be able to extract the tracks the way you want at the same time too.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into that...was just hoping HF had a way to handle that chore.

This discussion has been closed.