How to apply FX to more than one clip/composition?

XoechZXoechZ Website User Posts: 5

Hello!

I have a project with several clips on the timeline. Some clips have effects others have composite shots.

But now I want to use a "finishing" effect (like the cinematic) on my whole project, meaning all the clips on the timeline. Is there an easy way to do that or do I really have to apply the same effect on every single clip?

Second question:

I have 2 clips which I want to turn into a single composite shot. Can I "glue" them in the timeline somehow? Or how does that work?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

• kevin_nkevin_n Website User Posts: 1,921 Enthusiast

What is the cinematic effect that you're talking about?

What resolution is your project in?

You can't turn 2 clips into 1 composite shot, sorry. However, if you really want to do this, then export your 2 clips and import them back in to your timeline.

• XoechZXoechZ Website User Posts: 5

Sorry for my mistake, the effect is named "Classic cine style", found in Visual Effects -> Color grading. But this was just an example. What if I want to adjust brightness/contrast on my whole project and not just one clip of it?

To the second one: Is this really true? There is no way to combine or glue clips? Wow, this is a bad. Ok, then, what is the best way/format for exporting and reimporting clips for keeping the best quality?

• kevin_nkevin_n Website User Posts: 1,921 Enthusiast

The best way would be to export as uncompressed AVI, then transcode the file before you import it to an intermediate codec such as CineForm.

You could also export at a really high bitrate in MP4 - YouTube is going to slaughter the quality anyways, if that's your destination.

Maybe @Triem23 Knows of any better alternatives. :)

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,254 Ambassador

In general no NLE "glues" clips together. They may often be grouped, which isn't the same thing. 

Best option to preserve image quality would be png image sequences. In Hitfilm Pro 2017 Cineform is a great option for Windows. On Macs (in all versions of Hitfilm), high bitrate Quicktime. 

• XoechZXoechZ Website User Posts: 5

Thank you very much!

Maybe one day we get "Track FX" as it is usual in any audio editing software like Reaper or Cubase. That means, if you apply an effect to a track, then it is used on every clip of that track.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,254 Ambassador

Track level Fx seems unlikely because that would be a major revamp of how Hitfilm routes effects. I'd settle for Grade Layers in the editor timeline, which would be roughly equivalent, and easier to implement. 

Although I would love track level effects. Hell, as a Vegas user I'd love media bin level effects! 

This discussion has been closed.