DTS audio

alanljalanlj Website User Posts: 3

Quick question:

Does HitFilm Express (3 or 4) support DTS audio? 

Can it import a 6+ channel wav file, or 6+ individual audio tracks, and export as a DTS encoded soundtrack; or is it audio-independent and requires a [pre-encoded] DTS encoded audio track which it can embed in a project.

If it is the former, do I need an option pack (the only mention I have seen regards audio is Dolby Digital/AVCHD in the premium formats pack.

Presumably, if it does not support DTS, the Premium Formats packs supports 5.1 AC3?

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,295 Ambassador

I don't think any version of Hitfilm supports any 5.1.

I'm very certain a staff member will confirm. 

• TotopoCraftTotopoCraft Website User Posts: 194 Just Starting Out

What it is interesting is that the manual of HF4Express mentions 5.1 indirectly.

Here 

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,295 Ambassador

True, but there are several different 5.1 systems, including Dolby, Pro Logic, DTS, SDDS, THX... All have different licensing fees. 

The premium codec pack for Express is required for Dolby, so it's possible Dolby 5.1 might work (there are consumer Sony camcorders with 5.1 audio), but DTS is very unlikely. 

• alanljalanlj Website User Posts: 3
    edited February 2017

I should it work work, if one bought a prempack that claimed to support it ;)

Anyway, thanks for the replies. Given that the market penetration of multi-channel amps, sound bars, etc, I would have thought that multi-channel audio was an essential 'must-support' in any video editor.

Is not DTS free to licence - seem to remember it is, but could well be wrong. Perhaps the devs need to register at DTS?

DTS is NOT free to license. Which means, of course, that licensing it becomes another Express add-on (for whatever it costs), and an increase in price for Hitfilm Pro.

In fact, the license fees for DTS are much higher than Dolby.

I actually don't know about AC-3 5.1 as I've never tried it.

As far as 5.1 support being a must for any video editor? I'd think it more important for the audio editor. :-D

• alanljalanlj Website User Posts: 3

Had a nagging memory that it was, for some reason! Not a problem. I can always convert audio externally, and then mux it in again. It is just easier to use one program, as it makes tracking and syncing easier.

Certainly editing audio is better done in another program, but when editing a video I am not just editing a video I am not just editing video, I am editing /the/ video as a whole, which entails syncing dialogue, adding and syncing audio effects, and so on. That cannot be done externally. 

This discussion has been closed.