Stuttering Footage Basic Cuts

xaratemplatexaratemplate Website User Posts: 11

Hello,

I have a fairly fast GPU but program seems to stutter. I checked my CPU, Ram and HD usage and it is not even near 100% so I know that is not the issues. I am just doing basic cuts to 1080p footage and adding minor changes to (hue, sat, levels histogram and white balance). Basically nothing amazing here.

8GB ram

GPU Nvidia GTX 960m (around 640 Cuda cores)

I7 CPU 4700mq 2.4ghz (64bit)

Comments

• xaratemplatexaratemplate Website User Posts: 11

Thanks for the comment... However my video was recorded with a Samsung NX300 camera not a cellphone or tablet in the h.264 format i.e. mp4 file. Is that not a friendly format for editing?

• PalaconoPalacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,442 Enthusiast
    edited January 2017

MP4 is very much not Editor friendly. It's designed for compactness, not performance. Read Norman's thread(s) and you want to apply the 'Norman AVC' method to your MP4 files. He's the resident expert on such things. :)

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,944 Enthusiast
    edited January 2017

Your NX300 outputs AVC like most everything else out there. Most every camera output AVC in a structure that has a high decode overhead. Your CPU is not very fast so helping Hitfilm out by transcoding to something with a lower decode overhead can do wonders. The transcode thread is THE source here for options about how to accomplish this.

It seems really odd to me that it is the CPU since my CPU in my task manger doesn't even reach 50% during playback yet stuttering remains. I also noticed the stuttering doesn't occur in "trimmer" view only in the "viewer" part when playing back in timeline.

Can someone explain how it is the CPU when my CPU is not even reaching 50% usage?

Also I thought a I7 was decent for CPU is that really insufficient and if so do they have an I8 coming out anytime soon? As far as I know the I7 is the highest line Intel has to date.

I took a look at AVC norman thread...I tried using same settings for handbrake i.e fast decode, high level profile, constant frame rate, keyint=0 etc..... but it still lags and also CPU is not even near it's bottle neck.

edited March 2017

I did some further testing and when I set things to "quarter" resolution in "viewer" mode during playback there is zero stutter and in my task manager it runs cpu at around 30% usage... overall usage with other apps running is around 50%.... At full resolution it stutters but CPU still stays around 30% peaking at 31 to 33% with overall CPU usage at only around low 50% usage with other apps running on PC.

I think we can rule out CPU usage as issue at this point... I'm starting to wonder if this is GPU related as all other components such as hardrive and ram are barely being used and not near threshold i.e. 90% range. Any suggestions are welcomed... but for sure I know it is related to resolution of video and the only thing I can't measure is GPU since it is not listed in task manager.

Your GPU software might have some sort of activity monitoring options page. But basically Hitfilm has performance issues. Wait till you start rendering things then you'll be back asking why it is so slow and neither the CPU or the GPU are apparently working very hard. No one knows. On the upside it's fairly cheap for what it can do for the Pro version and Express is free. :) 

Oh ok didn't realize Hitfilm had performance issues. I'm not sure how to access Nvidia activity monitoring page. I actually did some further investigating and updated my Nvidia graphics driver and stuttering is now gone at full render... I also downloaded GPU - Z and it is not throttling my GPU based on info I can see on graphs. In this case I test the pro version of software for hitfilm. Will test express version shortly.

Just tested more footage seems to be inconsistent but at half resolution always no stutter. 

Did you follow the advice and threads above to transcode your footage into a more editor friendly format?

edited March 2017

I tried that but it had zero affect... The only thing that mattered was resolution setting for my system and updating my GPU drivers. I think perhaps the main issue is GPU related, which is odd because I thought Hitfilm was more CPU dependent according to documentation. My GPU is the only thing that is significantly high so I am assuming the speed at which my GPU reacts to each clip makes it stutter as the only time I see stuttering is during a cut in the timeline at full resolution view. However for raw clips with no cuts at full resolution no problems occur. Maybe it has to due with GPU speed but not sure. Even if I apply effects to clip with no cuts it doesn't stutters at full resolution.

• BluesAdamBluesAdam Website User Posts: 14

Hi,

At the bottom of the "Tracks" window where all your tracks are located, there is a zoom in/out slider. Right next to it there is a little triangle. Click it, you will see an option called "Preview mode", click it and choose none.

That's how I fixed my stuttering problem and even one of the devs answered saying that this should not be happening and they are looking into it. Hope it helps.

edited March 2017

Even at max resolution my GPU is only at 50% GPU load. Must be Hitfilm performance issue.

edited March 2017

That solved my problem only get stuttering for first 5 or 8 seconds after that all cuts in timeline play smooth like butter.... thanks for the tips. Even played clip at full screen mode and no stutter so definitely not a hardware issue PC is more than adequate for the task at hand.

This discussion has been closed.