Impliment an Automatic Stablizer

TRIFLIX
TRIFLIX Columbus, INPosts: 927 Enthusiast
edited January 2017 in General

Please for the love of your selected higher power, add a one button stabilizer that allows the user to select the amount and type of stability applied.

I want to select a clip, hit smooth translation, 10% amount and it to auto scale so the clip stays in frame.  I am tired of the hoops that I have to jump through while using HitFilm and Mocha when Warpstabilizer (AE) and Stabilization (Final Cut Pro) already do this. For manual lens people, every shot needs stabilized and this is wasting a vast amount of time. The point tracker is great if you don't mind the preset amount of stability and there is a point that is camera for the duration of the clip.

Nothing but love for the HitFilm Team,  yet this has been a request for over a year now :(

Comments

• Palacono
    Palacono Posts: 3,423 Enthusiast
    edited January 2017

I can't see this happening, as there are lots of Stabilisers out there from Free to "Are You serious? It's only a Stabiliser for Crying out loud!".

I recently played with Mercalli V4 SAL+. Wasn't that impressed. The CMOS Sensor Options actually added jitter. Standard option was OK, but  not especially better than the result you get with Virtual Dub and the Free Deshaker Plugin.

ProDrenalin V2.0 Plus seems to have pretty much the same engine (same CMOS bug) with a just three ' one click' Intensity settings and no other adjustments, like how  dynamic the camera can be, but with the added advantage of being able to deal with fisheye footage at the same time and lots of colour correction bells and whistles. For $99 it might be worth a look.

• TRIFLIX
    edited January 2017

A valid point, its just that.. the reason for even buying HitFilm is because, "The all in one vfx, editor, and animator."

Students can get adobe suite for $20 a month, while the HitFilm upgrade is $200 a year. I don't want to be the guy that just complains that other software is better, I am trying to make suggestions that will greatly improve the performance of their own product. I want HitFilm to be the best because I love the community and the company.

I just think that before they add niche effects like DeRez and ect.. they should focus on practical applications like increase cache ram (which they did), good sound editing, serious denoiser, and stabilization. Thing that every project would directly benefit from.

Hopefully this thread will start a conversation and the development team can look into these topics and not just be asked to be placed on the "HitFilm Pro 5 Wishlist."

Also, thanks for the suggestions @Palacono, I will be sure to look into them.

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,136 Enthusiast

ffmpeg has a stabilizer feature. ffmpeg is free. When I found out that it did I checked it out on some mountain bike footage (camera mounted to bike). It works pretty well. Convert V4 provides a GUI access to the ffmpeg stabilizer.

I personally use Mercalli V4 to stabilize my MTB video.

@Aladdin4d posted a link with a better price for Mercalli.

https://hitfilm.com/forum/discussion/comment/83692/#Comment_83692

I created a couple of Windows scripts to do/batch the analysis and render phases one does with stabilization.

I was thinking of creating a ffmpeg stabilization thread with a demo and post my commented scripts. Maybe I should. The problem with a demo with my MTB footage is that at Youtube bitrates the bouncy first person view gets really mushy/soft.

I am okay with stabilization outside the editor timeline. I'd rather not do anything that can hurt timeline performance. Timeline performance in Hitfilm is a common reported issue. Not really for me. If the stabilization phase is done via the GPU shaders then this may not be a concern.

• Palacono
    Palacono Posts: 3,423 Enthusiast
    edited January 2017

I just went to have another go with ProDrenalin V2.0 Plus and discovered (by watching the tutorial video. Doh!) that it can also just do CMOS correction on its own without needing to also do Stabilisation. 

So....I took some pretty shaky stock footage and did that and it cleaned it up so well it didn't need stabilisating and the image was 99% of the original size, so no loss in quality because: no zooming required. It's just my footage it hates and adds CMOS jitters. Might be my camera. :(

• Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Posts: 2,481 Enthusiast

@TriFlixFilms FWIW the link and coupon code @NormanPCN posted about are still working and drop the price of Mercalli SAL+ to the same $99.00 as Prodrenalin. Personally I prefer stabilizing outside of the NLE. I'd rather review and see if a clip can be saved instead of just transcoding and trying to figure it out later. The exception to that is if I need to denoise. That I go ahead and do in HitFilm and makes me wonder what you consider a "serious denoiser" because HitFilm's Denoise is as good or better than anything else I've used and I used a bunch. I find it to be so good I haven't bothered updating my Neat Video since HitFilm 3 Pro was released.

@Palacono It doesn't surprise me Deshaker gave you decent results. It generally does a pretty good job and the price is right!

• NormanPCN

I created a test clip for stabilization. Something other than the MTB footage I have laying around. I just used my DSLR and pointed it at the street with the lens stabilizer off.

ffmpeg stabilizes fine but the rolling shutter (aka CMOS) jello is a problem in this example. ffmpeg does not correct for CMOS jello.

Here is a simple demo video. 15sec. Original, ffmpeg, Mercalli. The trees/brush look fine but you can see the jello effect in the street and curb of the ffmpeg result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p17BSXH7pwU

The Prodad stuff fully corrects for various "cmos" ills. Nothing is perfect of course. Optical flow can briefly lose lock and areas of pixels might twitch. It's situationally dependent. My GoPro footage is often more immune due to it's high shutter speeds in sunlight and the movement of a mounted first person view as long as the mount is rock solid.

• Aladdin4d

@NormanPCN Was your FFMpeg example using vidstab or deshake?

• NormanPCN
    edited January 2017

@Aladdin4d vidstab. 

for the analyze pass.

-vf vidstabdetect=shakiness=10:accuracy=15

For the render pass

-vf vidstabtransform=smoothing=20:maxshift=-1:maxangle=0.5:optzoom=2:zoomspeed=0.05

My test is pretty shaky and that makes it more prone to rolling shutter issues. I did not try to be a good camera man and be as steady as I could. So not "real world" I guess. I held the camera with my arms out stretched some (old(er) eyes and wearing wrong glasses). 

My shutter was higher than the standard double frame rate. It was 1/125 sec (f/5.6). I took that with my Canon 7D at 30p and 55mm with lens stabilizer off.

Stabilization and rolling shutter are separate tests but stabilization often exposes rolling shutter issues more readily.

I've go some GoPro stuff with an "okay"  mount that jellos big time even in full sun and a lot of sky (fixed f/2.8 lens so 1500th or faster). Woof.

• TRIFLIX

Wow great stuff! Thats actually really helpful. @NormanPCN @Aladdin4d

• TZO_ArtHobbyist
    TZO_ArtHobbyist Posts: 4
    edited March 2017

Note to all, there is an excellent free encoder Virtualdub, with a free stabilizer named "deshaker" (100x better than sony's pos stablizer)  And here's a bunch of cool filters, GNU for life!

• TRIFLIX

That is remarkable! I'd says that even a it better than my go to in FCPX. Thank you so much for this! @TZO_ArtHobbyist

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,579 Ambassador

@TriFlixFilms doesn't @Aladdin4d or @Stargazer54 bring up VirtualDub often? Vdub does well, but you have to get comfortable manually adjusting parameters to get the best from it. 

VirtualDub is a great tool. 

• Aladdin4d

@Triem23 I bring up Vdub a lot but in this case @Palacono beat me to it in the second post in this thread.

• TRIFLIX

I looked into it after Aladdin4d mentioned it but never quite figured out how to achieve results like the ones in the shared tutorial :)

• Yeah, I swear by VDub/Deshaker; once you understand the interface/configs the flexibility for Deshaker's stabilization is unparalleled vs paid most solutions as you can config every step in the stabilization process!

One other MAJOR difference between that and Mercalli V4 SAL "PRO" is that you can both im/export Huffy/Lagarith lossless compression, whereas the overpriced fisher price toy you are stuck with only allows for lossy Mp4/Mov both of which have no configuration parameters whatsoever! 

Import a lossless original and you end up encoding with an inferior frame/GOP configs, (Seeking becomes impossible) ending up with a lossy downgraded output that's only good for one's home videos/movie collections...Ironic that the majority of "professional" products are the antithesis of professional grade work!

They only slap on that title as a way to nickel and dime cut features and seeing as they market it to dads/housewives for junior's play and family get-togethers as they're only looking for magic-button solutions, they don't have to enable professional grade tools/configuration!

So let this be a lesson to always check for a GNU alternative for certain parts of your workflow and let programs like this/Adobe do the heavy work.

• Sorry mods for the re-posts I did not see the post approval message!

• Aladdin4d

@TZO_ArtHobbyist Sorry to interrupt a passionate rant but while Mercalli can be a one button solution you can also manually control virtually every facet of the process with much more informative analysis graphs to help you and save your customized settings as presets with the option to use them as the default settings for future projects. On top of that you are not limited to "inferior" long GOP exports. MJPEG is an option as is Grass Valley HQ/HQX if you have the codec installed but the 800 pound gorilla of export options is ProRes. You can export ProRes 422LT, 422 or 422HQ with 8 bit or high bit depth (millions+) color.