FREE Rayfire like tool just for HF Community!

Dianetix
Dianetix Website User Posts: 27

Hi fellow film makers :D
Just thought I would open up this thread so you can give me your feedback.
While I do make films (Oh and just to say...I didn’t win that compo...but I did come second!! Yah... £500 in the bank! lol.... You can all congratulate me now! ROFL!), I also program games and utility’s for computers.
I have been working on a Rayfire type of program now on and off for a few months and its almost ready to go.
I want to release it to the Hitfilm community (don’t worry its totally free) and I hope that it helps some of you who need a program that can smash things up and do all the cool stuff we see other apps doing.
At the mo, what we have with Hitfilm is just great, and the built in shatter effect can be really useful and do lots of cool stuff if you mess about with it enough.
But for most of us who cant get access to Rayfire, (or have not stooped as low as pirating it!) we cant really do the type of things as seen in this picture:

smashing_zps0b23217d.jpg
Well.... Now you can!!
Introducing Darkfire.

(Yes I know, but there is a reason why its called Darkfire, trust me on this) ;)

Darkfire is not an add-on to Hitfilm, but is a stand-alone program.
(I could code it so that Hitfilm can call it and that both programs pass information between each other, but I don’t have the source for HF nor have I looked at DLL linking....yet 8-|)
With version 1 of Darkfire you have the option of using an orb or a flat plane to shatter.
The program lets you add on the fly the variable parameters of:
Global Gravity
Bit Gravity
Direction
Speed
Rotation
Rotation Speed
Bounce Limit Direction
Plus change the DOF & displacement if needed.
It is set up to randomise a lot of the above, and you should never need to mess about with the parameters, but the option is there if you need to.
The program works by creating up to 5000 true 3D objects (you don’t HAVE to have 5000 of cause). 
After it creates its first pass of the render, it saves a single picture of that render out in BMP format.
When the full render is complete it then gives you the option of re-importing the pictures and saving out as an uncompressed AVI file.
You can use other programs to link the saved pictures together if you want, but the option is there.
As for the bits themselves, well you can import HiDef texture maps 1024 x 1024  & 2048 x 2048 pixels 24-bit full colour or if you prefer, you can colourise them (say green?) and then do a matte replacement in HF to put the texture on to the colourised bits.
(In version 2 I do plan on adding full HDRI 48 Bit)
So there you are guys and gals.
It should take me another 3 to 4 weeks to finish the program, but check back here as I will post updates and when its done, the download link.
However what I want from you lot is to give me some feedback, your thought, your ideas.
Will it be useful to you or not?.  What features would you like to see in it?. Anything else you can think of!

Ok, thanks for looking and I will post some screen shots soon.

Shane.

Comments

• JoeyVFX
    JoeyVFX Website User Posts: 38
    Sounds awesome. I am not a Hitfilm user (yet) so I have a question- does Hitfilm have dynamics for 3D objects? I know the particle system does.
  • spydurhank
    spydurhank Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,145 Expert
    Wow! Just wow. Will definitely keep an eye on this thread.  :) 
  • ESPictures
    ESPictures Website User Posts: 533 Just Starting Out
    I'll be interested to see what you come up with.  Right now, I just use Blender to fracture a mesh when I need to.  I'm curious to see if this would be more efficient.
  • TheEvanM
    TheEvanM Website User Posts: 19
    Dude, this is beast! Hopefully the developers notice this, because I could see this becoming as something like the Mocha tracking, where you can fracture a mesh, and then import the fractured mesh animation to Hitfilm without rendering it. This looks really interesting! :) 
  • Dianetix
    Glad you like the idea :) .
    @Leadingnowhere: "does Hitfilm have dynamics for 3D objects?"  If I understand you right, then the answer is no.  You can change textures, animate parts etc etc. But there is no mesh deform or limb options as far as I know....shame that cos it would be good to be able to do real time mesh manipulation.
    Heres a screen shot of the latest UI..... It will prob change before I finish, but for now its workable.

darkfiredisp_zpsbdc45aba.jpg
    I will try and post an animation of using the tool next week....when I get time off work! 8-|
  • SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
    This sounds extremely interesting! Can't wait to see where it goes.
  • spydurhank
    spydurhank Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,145 Expert
    Freaking.... Awesome...  @-)
  • OrangePekoe
    OrangePekoe Website User Posts: 478
    I'm really excited about the potential of this tool....  I can't wait to see more information/screenshots etc.
    I use Blender as well when it comes to object fragmentation but a tool meant specifically for fragmentation etc would be amazing :D
    How much control will we have on the fragments of the object that are being broken? 
    Will there be more than primary fragmentation.  For example, if a fragment breaks off the main object and then either hits another object and / or another projectile hits it, will their be a trigger to cause secondary fragmentation etc?
    What are the set of triggers that will be released in the first version?  Will we be able to manually cause deformations of planes using the cursor or other "invisible objects"?  For example, if I were to create a plane, manually or automatically setup the fragments (untriggered) and then use another object (invisible or existing in 3D space underneath the plane) and use it to manually cause the plane to break? 
    Will we be able to add footage so we can see that our sequence of images line up with our footage?  Or perhaps another way of making sure everything is lined up properly?
  • JCL_Films
    JCL_Films Website User Posts: 158 Enthusiast
    This sounds very very cool. @-) I just have a few questions. What models does it import? Can you import animated 3d objects? Can you export animated 3d objects? Finally, would I be able to create a convincing helicopter crash? In any event, thank you so much for making this free. Can’t wait! :)
    P.S. you are right; finding a way to integrate this into Hitfilm would be awesome.
  • Dianetix
    Just thought I would check in tonight and answer some points from you guys and gals.

"How much control will we have on the fragments of the object that are being broken?"
    Probably WAY too much! :))
    You will be able to control all of the objects.
    Tho why you would want to is beyond me as the current system can produce up to 5000 of them, and I am looking at increasing this to somewhere in the region of 40,000 by the next release.
    One tool I am currently creating is the ability to group objects which will make manipulating them much faster than 1 at a time.
    But yes....you will have FULL control of every single object in 3D space.
    "Will there be more than primary fragmentation. For example, if a fragment breaks off the main object and then either hits another object and / or another projectile hits it, will their be a trigger to cause secondary fragmentation etc?"
    Yes. Right now the structure is:
    Primary Fragments.
    Composed of: 6 large, 32 medium, 40 small. (Total 78)
    Secondary Fragments.
    Each Primary will automatically produce 10 "Bit" fragments. these are what you would call the "dust" or "particulate matter" from the initial break. (Total 780)
    Layer Fragments.
    These are fragments that come from underneath the Primary Fragments. Each "Layer" will hold the same amount or double (random) the amount as the Primary Fragments.
    These Layer Fragments can break in two.
    You can have up to 4 Layer Fragments at this time depending on the depth of the object.
    Total if same as Primary = 312
    Total if double Primary = 624
    Total maximum amount if all double and if all break in to two = 1248
    Sleeping Fragments.
    When Primary Fragments hit each other, or hit a deflector, they have a chance to break. They can break in to 3 smaller fragments, but it is a random number so they may not break.
    These smaller fragments are what is called "Sleeping Fragments", because they will not break themselves, but will still interact with other fragments, bounce, etc. (Total 234)
    That gives us a maximum total of  2262 fragments.
    "What are the set of triggers that will be released in the first version?"
    At this time, there is just one trigger.  It is a time based trigger. It will delay the effect for a set amount of time. It is measured in system time which is in milliseconds.
    Others will be added.
    "Will we be able to add footage so we can see that our sequence of images line up with our footage?"
    Yes.  You can add a background image (As-in a screen grab of the shot), or you can load up an uncompressed AVI.
    ""What models does it import?"
    3Ds, Obj, and X at this time.
    "Can you import animated 3d objects?"
    At this release no.
    "Can you export animated 3d objects?"
    Erm.... if you mean can you export an animation, then yes. But if you mean can you save the data from the model so that you can use that in another product, then no. That is something I am wanting to do, but I have time constraints (I work.....Dang.....Life is SOOOOOO intrusive when it comes to what you really wanna do!) :D/
    "Would I be able to create a convincing helicopter crash?"
    I really dont know. I guess its down to the person to spend time on the effect. But yes, Im sure Darkfire would help.
    "P.S. you are right; finding a way to integrate this into Hitfilm would be awesome."
    And trust me.... I am looking at ways for that to happen. :)
  • JCL_Films
    JCL_Films Website User Posts: 158 Enthusiast
    edited September 2013
    "Can you export animated 3d objects?"
    Erm.... if you mean can you export an animation, then yes. But if you mean can you save the data from the model so that you can use that in another product, then no. That is something I am wanting to do, but I have time constraints (I work.....Dang.....Life is SOOOOOO intrusive when it comes to what you really wanna do!) :D/

In terms of exporting animation, I really meant what is the file format that you export out of?

• SimonKJones
    This sounds increasingly exciting. When do you think we might see some video of it in action? Or even a still of the fracturing in progress?
  • Dianetix
    Just on dinner break so fast answers to you for now. :D/

In terms of exporting animation, I really meant what is the file format that you export out of?

Hi SRS Studios.  The format will be uncompressed AVI. I am looking at QT too.  The single frames will be saved in BMP format, but I will look at PNG later.  Hope that answers it for you m8 :)

This sounds increasingly exciting. When do you think we might see some video of it in action? Or even a still of the fracturing in progress?
    Ok Simon I will post a video on it for later this week, and I will post a few grabs of the fracturing too.

Ok, back to work for me now!
  • CookedCatProductions
    CookedCatProductions Website User Posts: 52
    AWESOME BRO. Love already.
  • Maxwell_Inc_Studios
    Maxwell_Inc_Studios Website User Posts: 28 Just Starting Out
    That sounds fantastic, I could really use this for some projects (I have rayfire, but I wouldn't mind a tool more custom built to work with Hitfilm. BTW if you need anybody to beta test this stuff, count me in.
  • FlickeringLight
    FlickeringLight Website User Posts: 58
    Drooling and praying for train strikes and snow so you get some extra time off from the day-job  :) 
  • Dianetix
    Hi all..... sorry for the delay in posting. Work has been stupid this last week or two, plus I have had to sort out Fraps.
    I WILL be posting the vid and shots on here within the next 2 to 3 days (I only have 1 meeting to go to on Monday for a couple of hours then the rest of the day I get off....YAH!)
    @ Juniper Roth:
    "That sounds fantastic, I could really use this for some projects (I have rayfire, but I wouldn't mind a tool more custom built to work with Hitfilm. BTW if you need anybody to beta test this stuff, count me in."
    Mmmm....Well if you have Rayfire then you prob wont need this tool much. TBH I cannot custom build this to work with Hitfilm as I have said in the other posts. While I can look at, for example, writing a DLL, the problem is that I cant tie this in with Hitfilm as much as I would like to because I only have the HFU that I won in a compo...I dont believe Hitfilm supports 3rd party plugins yet, so no SDK for external developers, plus I cant even script anything as I dont think it supports scripting either....nor structured input for xml format.
    (Tho I am sure that HF3 will address some of that) ;)
    As for beta testing... I will give it some thought and I will get back to you on it.
    Thanks for the feedback so far guys. :)
  • DX6channel
    DX6channel Website User Posts: 72
    What is the progress?
  • Dianetix
    Hello.
    I am posting this on behalf of Shane.  He has been quite ill of late, and wanted you to know that he has not forgot this project.
    He asked me (as his dad) to do the fraps video for you all, so I will get that done hopefully this weekend for you.
    I am sure he will be back on the forum very soon, as he is much better, but please do not worry about the status of this project as he will be working on it and he says it should be finished for you all sometime in late March.
    Thank you.
  • CalebK
    CalebK Website User Posts: 435
    Wow verry excited! Will it be for Mac too?
    This is really nice of you to make this and to release it to us!
    I'm excited!
  • StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,722 Ambassador
    Thanks for the update 'dad'.....and tell Shane.....GET WELL SOON! :) 
  • Dianetix
    Hello.
    Yes I can confirm that it will be for the Mac too.  He will be working with another person for the conversion to Mac, and it is estimated that it will take 5 to 8 weeks more for the Mac version to come.
    I am sure he will keep all the Mac users on here informed of its progress.
    I also believe that he is going to be contacting the Hitfilm team this coming week to talk about ways in which this app could be either worked in to HF2, or perhaps so that it can pass data between both programs (Something like it does with mocha/ Sony Vegas).
    I hope that answers your question Caleb.
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,791 Ambassador
    Hopefully the illness is nothing serious.
    No issue on delays from us, I think--More important for Shane to be healthy than to code a nice add-on for us!
  • SimonKJones
    Yes, health comes first! Thanks for the update.
  • PhilWesson
    PhilWesson Website User Posts: 241 Enthusiast
    Feel better! Health comes first!
  • carolinaexecs
    carolinaexecs Website User Posts: 1
  • rgbii
    rgbii Website User Posts: 965 Just Starting Out
    Looks interesting.   Hope you're feeling better!
  • CalebK
    CalebK Website User Posts: 435
    edited May 2014
    Did you/he get better?
  • Dianetix
    Hi guys I’m BACK!!!! :D

First off I want to thank all of you who posted "Get Well" messages...Thank you for that, trust me I needed them.
    To those of you who emailed me and wanted to know what was going on, well, what happened was a bit of a "perfect storm" as far as what was happening in my body.
    The thing all started when I started feeling unwell after coming home from a location shoot in one of our local forests....
    I was at the time suffering from a "bit of flu" and like most people I just carried on and worked through it, resting when needed.
    My Dad told me that flu is not like the cold...it can take months and months to get over, and I should rest.....but hey...you know how it is....you always think you know better than your parents! LOL.
    Wish I had listened now!!
    You see, if I had listened, I would not have been going out and filming....I would not have gone to those forests....
    This is where it gets a bit muddy so-to-speak.
    Like lots of people, I have allergies.  But my biggest one is that I’m allergic to Penicillin.
    Now the "flu" was starting to really affect me (tired, no energy, could not eat etc etc), and my immune system was under attack and it was very low (the docs told me later).
    Which in itself is never a good thing, and I guess if that’s all it had been, then I would have gotten over it within a few months and I would have been ok.
    But no.... there was something else going on within me that I was totally unaware of...and that thing was all to do with a small little fellow that most of us ignore.....a spider.
    This is the muddy bit.   
    You see the docs don’t know if I had eaten it (in my sleep...apparently we ALL eat them....Gawd...I don’t want to think about that or I wont be sleeping again!!!) or if I had been bitten by one down in the forest, as there was some reddening of the skin, but nothing that they could definitely tell if it was a bite or not.
    This meant that it was either a reaction to the venom (FYI, English spiders are not fatal ..not even the false widows...But you have a 50% chance of the bite being venomous...lovely)
    OR....
    Something I learned was that believe it or not spiders are full of penicillin.  No...really...they are.  
    I did a bit of checking up on this and they actually used to collect dozens and dozens of spider webs on dockleaves in the old days and use them on wounds to heal infections.  They didn’t know how it worked of cause, but we know today its because the webs are infused with penicillin.....you live and learn. :huh:
    Anyway..........   The combination of allergic reaction and the flu....well......lets put it this way.......bed rest, hospitals, doctors........I last posted on here on the 05 October 2013.  its taken me from abut the 18th of October till this month (July 2014) to get over it.   
    Say no more!
    Tho.... I will say this.   IF your parents EVER tell you something....Listen to them :-) lol... it may save you  a lot of pain.

So that’s what has been going on with me.
    I’m still drinking tonics, fruit juices, and getting back in to shape and boosting my immune system...but I’m a lot better now.
    So thanks for all your messages of support, and also thanks for hanging around till I could move on with the Darkfire project.
    And talking about that........... :)

Ok guy and galls, time moves onwards, and while I now have other projects to do I’m one of these people who never like to shelve anything if I can help it.
    So..........
    This coming week I will be working on Darkfire.
    My To-Do list is the following:
    1. Work at Darkfire to update and add components, such as, the UI, Bugs, cluster tools etc.
    2. Post a Video (and pictures) showing the program working.
    3. Open up parts of the program for Beta Testing...which some of you wanted. See I do listen ;)
    So this coming week you should all start to be much happier about Darkfire, esp when you get your hands on it early next month.
    But remember......Give me feedback.  Its the only way this program will improve and meet your requirements, so talk, talk, talk,. :)
    Thanks and stay tuned!

Shane
  • OrangePekoe
    OrangePekoe Website User Posts: 478
    Really glad to hear you're on the upswing and doing better :)
    Can't wait to see the screen shots etc :D!!!!