Transcoding for better performance and easier editing

2»

Comments

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Website User Posts: 4,067 Enthusiast

@iFang "Is there any open source software that will convert a MP4 h.264 file to MOV ProRes or Cineform?"

???

Yes. Seriously, read this thread.

• iFang
    iFang Website User Posts: 20

@NormanPCN I can't find a single comment mentioning about an open source software that can convert to ProRes on Windows machine.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,969 Ambassador
    edited May 2018

@iFang ProRes isn't the codec you should be using for Windows. You should be using Cineform--something stated multiple times in this thread. 

If you insist you can use FFMPEG and Avanti as described here. 

https://photography.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-encode-prores-video-files-for-free-on-windows-with-ffmpeg-and-avanti--cms-25826

But here's someone else's article on why you shouldn't do that. TL/DR: ProRes is a commercial codec and any Windows encoders you might find are reverse-engineered hacks, arguably illegal, and likely to not work well--pointing back to the FFMPEG/AVANTI method above, where, multiple times the author says something like "the actual instructions didn't work, I had to do this instead."

https://blog.frame.io/2017/08/07/prores-on-windows/

So. If you want to do ProRes through FFMPEG, there's your link. If you do this and discover any problems with those files the answer to all future questions from you on this topic is "use Cineform." 

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Website User Posts: 4,067 Enthusiast
    edited May 2018

@iFang This comment from this thread. January 2017

I'll add a link to some ffmpeg Windows scripts that can be used to do easy transcoding to DNxHD, DNxHR and Prores. The ZIP has a contained readme text file.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0Ns35ef10qNT2t0ZDg1U0N1clk

• littlehausbigcity
    littlehausbigcity Website User Posts: 45 Just Starting Out*

Hi, bumping this entire thread up since the last entry was from 2018 and HitFilm 2017. This thread really does not address the huge elephant in the room, and that is, AVCHD (H.264) and HEVC (H.265), which we all know is not edit friendly. Before I purchased the Creator pack for Express the other day, I could not, it appeared to be able to import H.265 files, which are my GoPro Hero 9 clips, oh it'll import, but the triangle and exclamation point came up and it is not playable.

Went through my copy of HF Express 2021 and it does not have proper Proxies, but pre-render, so that is out, I do have Handbrake, but all tutorials about it all assume you are ripping from DVD or on screen captures of games, never from the highly compressed H.264/265 cameras, like the Canon Vixia series of camcorders or the current GoPro Hero 9 (or the H7/8 for that matter with H264).

So what I need is settings to transcode the AVCHD/HEVC based footage to something edit friendly in handbrake that can, if need be, be brought back to H264 for output to YouTube.

Otherwise, a good thread, oh, most of the images do not load now, just FYI.

• littlehausbigcity

No way to correct my post but wanted to say, I know Cineform is often the most recommended codec for editing, at least in Windows and I run Win 10 and VLC for the player and it'll play natively h264/265 so no issues there but I don't know what Handbrake setting replicates that as close as possible.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,969 Ambassador

@littlehausbigcity

Hitfilm Express uses the OS codecs for licensing reasons. For h.265 Microsoft removed that codec in 2018. There's a $0.99 version on the Microsoft store, or this article should lead you to other options.

Since this thread was created Hitfilm has added GPU decoding for h.264, so we're a little less likely to recommend Cineform. There ARE some Handbrake settings developed and tested over a couple of months by a very savvy "Professional Computer Nerd," on the forum (NormanPCN). The edit speed is comparable to Cineform, and it does a good job of retaining detail. They can be found at 23:40 in this video.

Using Handbrake with camera files shouldn't be too different than DVD. Drag the file into Handbrake, and you'll have made the settings you'll be shown your default (😉), so select your output folder and either start encoding or add to queue if you're batching.

Proper proxies in Hitfilm are coming soon enough. Some issues and delays came up this summer with the Beta test (some of it being from very insistent nagging from myself and other outside - non FXhome - testers on a couple of things we felt could be improved), and the incredible dev team have been tightening down every loose screw and quashing every bug possible for the next version, which will have some major "under the hood" enhancements for speed and ease of use. (I'll even say there was a mod/Tester virtual meeting this week where the second item of discussion was about the noticeable speed increases in the beta... How's THAT for a teaser?)

• littlehausbigcity

Thanks Triem.

Yes, Handbrake does do camera footage just fine, but what to set them to for transcoding for editing was my issue, as in does any of the settings in Handbrake work better than others for editing or just choose a medium option and do the settings that Norman has developed? The main thing is, being able to export the footage out to the higher quality if need be for exporting to YT. Since the current version of Hitfilm does not do true proxy files, no way to tell it to go here for the full res (transcoded) files that I can see, which is why it's out as an option.

Good to know that proxies will become available very soon, once the bugs are dealt with as that can be the best option for most of us without a full PC upgrade. The only other possible solution is to find an upgrade graphics card to run on low power and fit the SFF Dell Optiplex that contains at minimum of 2GB's of VRam, instead of the Nvidia Geforce 610GT I have now as it seems to be barely adequate as is for the most current version of HF and then do a full PC upgrade later on. I will pop into HB and set it to Norm's recommendations today and see how that works.