Long time, no see... quick question. Mics (Did I buy the wrong one?)

TriFlixFilmsTriFlixFilms Website User Posts: 925 Just Starting Out
edited December 2016 in General

I bought the SGH-6, but I am starting to questions its advantages and drawbacks vs the SSH-6.

The purpose of the mic was to use it for run and gun interviews/short films 5-20 feet when there isn't time to set up a lapel mic. Thoughts?

(Lame comeback after several months of inactivity, but as soon as I get this mic situation sorted out I'll be able to shoot again.)

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,227 Ambassador

I have a Zoom H5, and am thinking about one of those capsules, but haven't bought yet.

What's the problem? Just not quite happy with the sound? Shotguns do have narrow pickup patterns, but still aren't as good as a lav, just because sound energy falls off in a logarithmic fashion... If you are twice as far away, you have 1/8 the signal. So for interviews a Shotgun is still only viable to maybe 10 feet.

Another trick for run and gun audio is to get a cheap $20 mp3 recorder or even your phone! If your talent is far off, you can use a phone to record audo, but you'll have to synch in post. HFP 2017 has new audio sync tools. 

Wb! 

• TriFlixFilmsTriFlixFilms Website User Posts: 925 Just Starting Out

Great tips @Triem23. Also like to say I loved the featured tutorial.

...but as for the mic... it's too good. Its picks up every noise. But after playing with it a bit I think I have a better sound profile.

Perhaps its is my settings:

• Earbuds for audio plugged in and set to 50%
    • H5 L and R channel both on 10
    • SGH-6 Setting to 5

What do you recommend?

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,227 Ambassador

Oh, I would probably turn down the mic gain a bit? That's a guess, because I don't own that mic.

Take a look at your compression settings on the Zoom. Default compression kicks in pretty low with a good amount of gain. Maybe changing to a different compression curve helps. Remember you can also baffle the mic a bit, too. Just taping a cone from some thin cardboard around the mic (wide end towards target) can cut more noise from directly around the camera.

You'll aappreciate this: my lav died, so my tutorial audio was recorded by plugging the H5 into my computer to use as an audio interface (great feature! Takes power from the USB bus, so it replaced an old mixer/mic setup). I grabbed my monopod with tripod feet, stuck the Zoom on top (default mic capsule), put the monopod next to my chair, and just sat slouched a little bit to the left. All I did in post was turn up the audio tracks to the desired level and put a limiter on just to catch any stray loud vocalizations. 

• TriFlixFilmsTriFlixFilms Website User Posts: 925 Just Starting Out

Sounds almost identical to how I record voiceovers with my blue yeti haha. Its not what tools you use, its the results. My 3tb hard drive  will be in tomorrow, going to clean up my file structure and start editing again :)