Contour ShuttleXpress jog/shuttle controller

DragonTungDragonTung Website User Posts: 1

Hi,

9to5mac.com reviewed the Contour ShuttleXpress today (https://9to5mac.com/2016/12/29/contour-shuttlexpress-review-mac/) which got me interested.

It sounds like it's a very reasonably priced product that would really help with editing. Has anybody tried this product? Does it work with HitFilm? Specifically, does the job/shuttle wheel work properly? Or can you recommend any others that work with Macs?

Thanks!

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,262 Ambassador

I use a contour shuttle pro. It's a great bit of gear, and it does work with Hitfilm. 

What you'll need to do is go into the key map software that comes with the shuttle pro and assign custom key macros to the buttons. Hitfilm's keyboard shortcuts can be found by going to the File Menu, then hitting the Options button, then the Keyboard Shortcuts tab. You'll want to look at those while programming the shuttle pro.

The CSP can be treated as a simple programmable keyboard, and you can program functions for any program you want. You could even (for example) set it up for web browsing, using the shuttle/jog wheel to scroll pages and settings up keys for back/forward, etc...

For other alternate controls, MMO mice (with lots of hotkeys) can be useful, and some users are using Steam controllers. 

• DanielGWoodDanielGWood Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,021 Just Starting Out

Here's a video from former HitFilm staffer Simon Jones on using the Steam Controller with HitFilm. I imagine some of the concepts are transferable.

• HillsideMediaHillsideMedia Website User Posts: 50

Hey Triem23, 

I use my Kensington Orbit TrackBall with HitFilm, but when I hold Shift to scroll left and right, instead of smoothly sliding left and right it jumps in increments that are larger than the timeline area I'm looking at, and I am forced to use the hand tool to make smaller adjustments.

Does the shuttle pro slide left and right on the timeline without this issue?

If it does the chances are super high that I'm switching, lol.

Thanks! - Winter!

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,262 Ambassador

@MCMedia I'm not certain how the binding on that trackball works.

As said above the shuttle pro is basically a USB keyboard with a custom key layout. It's shuttle wheel just sends a key press at each click. Spinning the wheel it basically mashing a key...

If you can get your trackball to send the period and comma on a shift+roll then it becomes single frame scroll. 

Otherwise I love my Contour Shuttle Pro. It's a good tool. 

• HillsideMediaHillsideMedia Website User Posts: 50

Triem23,

Thank you for your response! Sorry I've been gone forever.

So is that how you use the wheel on the Shuttle pro? By having it send the period and comma per click? Or do you have it on another function entirely?

Would you consider posting a photo or something that details how you have it programmed? I'm considering buying one and would love to know what it's capable of.

Btw, for now I just have the trackball at my right hand, and the trackpad for swiping only right above the keyboard at my left. So if I need to swipe I just reach up left handed. Inconvenient, but better than no side-scrolling options!

- Winter!

• JBaymoreJBaymore Website User Posts: 333 Enthusiast

@Triem23,

You 'sold me' on the Contour Shuttle Pro.  Just ordered it.  Thanks.

best,

.....................john

@Triem23  The Contour Shuttle Pro arrived today!  I am wondering if you could share how you have the various buttons and wheels set up for HitFilm Pro?  I realize this kind of setup is quite 'personal' in the end, but a "starting point" from a real "pro" would be a good place to begin thinking about it.

Thanks in advance for anything you are willing to share.

best,

...................john

Well... so far...can't get it to work on Hitfilm Pro 8.

It has a profile existing for Hitfilm Pro 3 that came with it...... and I told it to link that basic starting place to the hitfilmpro exe file in the windows directory as the new application it is to work with (per the instructions on their site) ..... but that did not do anything. 

Suggestions on setting this thing up?

best,

.......................john

Still cannot get this thing to connect or work with HitFilm Pro 9.

The support forum there is useless.  No postings.  I seem to have it set up according to the manual/instructions.  But it does not get 'the focus' from HitFilm when I start it.

best,

......................john

I have created a "profile" in the Shuttle config set up for HitFilm Pro v 9 with the keyboard commands that HitFilm says control the software. They do that in the program itself if pressed.

I have "pointed" the shuttle config file to the hitfilmpro.exe v. 9 file that IS the main executable program.

I open HitFilm Pro 9.... and the shuttle status thing on the taskbar says hitfilmpro.exe has the focus.

It still does nothing in the program.

best,

..............john
    edited July 2018

OK........ I tested the basic function of the Shuttle.  It works in Excel with the default settings file for Microsoft Excel that came with the unit.

So we know that the Shuttle itself and the interface software and drivers are working correctly.

So it is looking like it is something to do with how the configuration of the HitFilm settings file is set up.... or how it is communicating with HitFilm (the exe file).

I'll keep working on it.

@Triem23 ......... with your Shuttle what exe file do you have the Shuttle app for the HitFIlm profile you are using pointed at? 

best,

..........john

edited July 2018

Keyboard shortcuts work from the keyboard on HitFilm Pro v 9.

Keyboard shortcuts do NOT work when sent from the Shuttle controller.

Shuttle controller interface shows that hitfilmpro.exe has the focus.

It works fine in Excel.  It works fine in Audacity.

TOTALLY puzzled here.

best,

..................john

OK... my 3rd time to reinstall the drivers (desperation)... and it appears to now work!  Why..... no idea.

Haven't tested all functions I want in HitFilm.... but the shuttle/jog wheel suddenly works.  Never did before.

Bizarre.  Nothing I have not already done before.

best,

...........john