Hitfilm 2 upgradable ?

dazzafakt
dazzafakt Posts: 14
edited September 2013 in General
Hello Community,
I think about to order "Hitfilm 2" in the next 2 month. My consideration is, whether the Version 2 is upgradable to version 3 for free? because:
-The Version 2 is older than 1 Year (most Softwares will update every 1- 1/2 Years)
-I can not believe the next Mac Version is still like "Hitfilm 2" (no fixes? no revisions?)
so please make "Hitfilm 2" upgradable to Version 3!
sorry for my english

Comments

• AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,252 Staff
    Updates to HitFilm are always free.  Updates include any releases within a version number.  (2.1, 2.2, 2.3 etc.)  Upgrades, where you move from one version number to another (HitFilm 2, HitFilm 3, etc.) are available at a substantial discount to current users.  The development cycle for HitFilm between versions 1 and 2 was about 18 months.  Right now, with all of our resources hard at work on the Mac version, it will likely be a bit longer between version 2 and 3.  But it didn't feel right, or make sense, to create and release a Mac version that was ahead of the PC version, nor do we want to push the release of the Mac version farther out to allow us to develop a host of new features to make it a new version.  Instead, we are focused on getting the Mac version released, and on par with he PC version, so that everyone can move forward from there.  Of course, the new tools that are being added in as part of the Kickstarter project will be included in both the Mac and PC versions at the time of the Mac release.
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,070 Ambassador
    It should be noted that what Axel said above for the Hitfilm team is typical of all software vendors. You don't get a free upgrade to Adobe After Effects CS6 because you bought CS5 (But you DID get 5.5).... In fact, the upgrade fee on After Effects alone is as much a a full, new license for Hitfilm.
    It's also refreshing for Axel to state they AREN'T pushing ahead on a "new version," yet. Most vendors do push out a new version every 18 months to meet a shipping deadline, and I'd love for FXHome to adopt more of a "we'll ship it when it's done" approach.
  • NullUnit
    NullUnit Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
     Of course, the new tools that are being added in as part of the Kickstarter project will be included in both the Mac and PC versions at the time of the Mac release.

Ooh, spoilers!

• Robin
    Robin Posts: 1,669 Enthusiast
    Ooh, spoilers!

Well, those new tools already got publicly announced, so that's not so much of a spoiler anymore  :P

• SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
    Also, HitFilm 2 isn't older than one year - it came out November 2012.
    It's also worth mentioning that we try to make our major release....major. The new features in HitFilm 2 were pretty vast compared to HitFilm 1, and the goal would be the same with a future HitFilm 3, and so on. We want to make sure we're giving people good reasons to upgrade, and that they feel it's worth their money. It's definitely a case of when it's ready.
  • Well, those new tools already got publicly announced, so that's not so much of a spoiler anymore  :P

I feel like i have been living under a rock, i haven't heard of those new tools, where can i read about this? 

• SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
    You can find out more about it in this Kickstarter update from a few months back: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fxhome/hitfilm-for-mac/posts/493316
    Basically, you can thank all the people that helped the Mac version happen. :)
    We haven't released much info about the new effects yet but I have been playing with them in the beta and they're pretty funky.