Model importing error

Hell, i've been trying to add a Tardis Model to Hit-film for my vortex video.. I keep getting this glitch with one of the doors and a little bit on the sides it's happend to some other models but I've got rid of them. The Door goes black when i put a light in the composite shot.. Please help
Screenshot in attachments

Comments

• NullUnit
    NullUnit Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
    I've had this problem and haven't found a good solution. 
  • ESPictures
    ESPictures Posts: 533 Just Starting Out
    I initially had the same problem when I was making my star ship model pack.  The model would load fine in other programs, but in HitFilm part of a texture would become blacked out.  (After spending some time banging my head on my desk) I finally figured out how to modify the model in Blender so that didn't happen.  But it was annoying.  Loading the model in Blender and modifying it is the only way that I know of to fix the problem.
    And if you're interested, I have a freebie satellite model to try out.  It loads nicely into HitFilm.  Just click on the banner.
  • Robin
    Robin Posts: 1,669 Enthusiast
    This problem has to do with normals in the model not properly set up. Each face in a model has a normal, which essentially just tells which side of the face is which, i.e. what's the out- and inside of the model. Under the "Advanced"-Tab in the model properties, have a look at the options regarding normals, you might be able to fix them this way.
  • This problem has to do with normals in the model not properly set up. Each face in a model has a normal, which essentially just tells which side of the face is which, i.e. what's the out- and inside of the model. Under the "Advanced"-Tab in the model properties, have a look at the options regarding normals, you might be able to fix them this way.

Okay I had a go at changing the normals but now I'm getting the blackouts on the sides of the panels and the windows.
    Hitfilmerror1.png

• I initially had the same problem when I was making my star ship model pack.  The model would load fine in other programs, but in HitFilm part of a texture would become blacked out.  (After spending some time banging my head on my desk) I finally figured out how to modify the model in Blender so that didn't happen.  But it was annoying.  Loading the model in Blender and modifying it is the only way that I know of to fix the problem.
    And if you're interested, I have a freebie satellite model to try out.  It loads nicely into HitFilm.  Just click on the banner.

What did you do in blender to fix it? and I will look at them :)

• ESPictures
    I selected the textures that had problems and flipped the normals manually.  And if that failed to solve the problem, I found that adding a lapacian smooth modifier to the mesh worked.
  • Robin
    Robin Posts: 1,669 Enthusiast
    edited September 2013
    Okay I had a go at changing the normals but now I'm getting the blackouts on the sides of the panels and the windows.

Okay, then the normals are too messed up for HitFilm to fix them. If you have a little knowledge of Blender, this will work:

I selected the textures that had problems and flipped the normals manually. 

Often just letting blender recalculate the normals also works just fine.

• ESPictures
    I always let Blender recalculate normals, just in case I miss something.  But sometimes HitFilm still gets wonky, even then.  At that point, flipping them manually may help.  And if it doesn't, the lapacian smooth modifier seems to do the trick.
  • Okay I will give that a try, Thanks guys