TDDavis' Li'l Projects thread - Dragon Action Cam 3 test footage In Pool - 8/9/2020

1101112131416»

Comments

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 3,925 Moderator

Finally, after 15 long years, I have done the first scene of what I set out learning 3D modeling to do.  In true movie fashion, this scene takes place 1 page before the end, but was first done :)  And that's not to say I won't revisit it ad nausem before I finish another, but like Lucas and can't help tweaking. Used a nice piece by Eric Matyas from his soundimage.org site called Battle of the Ancients because I like the fast drums. Rendered as a PNG sequence in Eevee Filmer and Compositor Denoise node at approx. 1 minute per frame from 2 cameras.  Intercut and stretch in Hitfilm Pro 14.3.

Check out this next gen stuff Andrew Price linked to in his newsletter!  Incredible stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qnwbbDS8xk

edited June 20

After sitting with the above video for a bit, I realized that my 1st time using Eevee motion blur I had no clue what the default settings were, so I re rendered with tons less and 20 more frames on one angle for a better end shot, then I stretched shots a bit more aggressively in Hitfilm so it wasn't so jerky.  Overall the length tripled, and I think it's a better edit.

Edited the link to a version that incorporated @FlyingBanana78 's comments.  Also found a repeat spot at that same area from both angles and fixed that.

• spydurhankspydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,762 Ambassador

Whoa that is cool. :)

edited June 20

@spydurhank Thanks for watching.  Do you think I stretched the frame rate too much in the second clip?  Or were you commenting on that new software :)

• spydurhankspydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,762 Ambassador

All of it, all of it is very cool. I've never played with frame rates to know any better but it looks good to me. :)

• FlyingBanana78FlyingBanana78 Website User Posts: 410 Enthusiast

@tddavis awesomesauce, looks pretty slick. Only thing I see is the sharp change in direction of the craft, the camera movement looks good. Not sure how you have the keyframing for the crafts movement. You can smooth them out without having to adjust keyframe position in the graph editor. Change them to a bezier and adjust that movement change keyframe so it has more of a rounded keyframe to smooth out that change of rotation. Again though that is just me cause it looks pretty awesome already.

https://i.imgur.com/Nu79b7Q.jpg

edited June 20

@FlyingBanana78 I think I know where you are talking about...after the Jupiter goes down between the rocks and at the bottom turns?  I'll see if I can do what you are saying.  I did recently set my default key frame interp to linear but not sure if it was before or after I started this file. :) Than ks!

Edit: Yes.  I totally forgot I had switched that and they were all linear.  If I guessed the correct part I am rendering out that section of frames again with a smoother (I hope!) turn there, and if it isn't where you meant I'm still ahead because it was bothering me there, but tell me about where in seconds it's at if not.

Okay, I got wild and crazy today and tried my hand a making a tutorial in Hitfilm on how to Use Eevee to render out fire with a transparent background and keep it looking decent! I apologies in advance for the accent and the crude tutorial skills to any who watch it.

TERRY, AWESOME! Good job, 32bit exr is the way to go... all the way. :)

@spydurhank Thanks.  It's rough, I know but appreciate the comments.

edited August 10

Just a little test of a new Action Camera I got myself for my birthday.  Only a $42 dollar purchase but it did pretty well underwater with very little lens distortion too.  Brought the footage into HF Pro 15 with...for a complete and utter change here on the forum...absolutely no issues whatsoever. Editing was smooth and stutter free and exported in the usual expected amount of time.  The footage was shot at 1080p 60fps and brought into an editor timeline set to 60 fps but it was exported using the Youtube 1080 preset. 

Edit: Oh, one weird thing.  I checked the files with MediaInfo as a precaution and it didn't say Variable or Constant.  It just said Frame Rate: 60 fps.  I'm away from my system or I'd post the whole tree. :)

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,554 Ambassador

That pretty amazing for $42 bucks!  Wish I had one of those back when I was diving.

Ah, slight caveat, you probably went deeper than it's rated 100 ft :)  I wish I had gotten to dive once in my life.  I guess at 63 that is long past :)

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,554 Ambassador

100 ft would be fine for most snorkeling activities and most shallow dives don't go beyond 30 or 40 ft.  I got more out of snorkeling anyway.  I think you see more wildlife that way.  You're definitely not too old to do either.  When and if Covid clears there might be some good deals in the Caribbean in the near future.

edited August 14

Oh, that would be sweet,  but i have had far too many recurring dreams about sharks in places they shouldn't be to go where they should!  I'd have to settle for Silver Springs or Rainbow Springs if not a clear spring area locally ?

edited August 14

@TheBenNorris After seeing the notice about Nvidia and hardware acceleration, I got curious as to why my Nvidia 1060 made by Asus has no issue with my underwater edit above.  I assumed I had it off already as I did not have any issue with it.  But it is on.  Granted, I only did this one editing project, adding a wav file then exported, but from some of  the comments people are having issue with less so either I am one of the lucky ones or something in my setup is different from those having the issue.  Just thought a little anecdotal info might help in tracking down things.