Exported and burnt!

jma
jma Posts: 84 Just Starting Out
All (except one. There's always one) of my class's final projects are exported and burnt, ready to send off for assessment.
It's been a bit hairy, but the Hitfilm experiment, by and large, has worked out well.
I've been trialling Hitfilm will 5 Media High school classes with varying levels of experience and ability. The students who remembered when we were using Adobe Premiere (CS4....urgh) are probably the most grateful. All classes have tried some forma of special effect work, with varying degrees of success.
I'm finding the way they are talking about editing has changed, even in students who used Adobe. They are a lot more specific about what they want to achieve. Colour grading in particular has improved as the students are talking about the order they apply each effect and the purpose a lot more, which is great.
We still have some way to go - our network causes all manner of problems and we REALLY need some sort of audio graphic to show levels, but overall the experiment has gone well.
One more project to go....

Comments

• KirstieT
    KirstieT Posts: 1,086 Staff
    Brilliant! Love hearing about how the HitFilm experiment has gone. 
    So great to see that it has been a good experience for all of the media classes, from beginners to those who are more experienced - it's exactly what the software is for; taking you from starting out to making high quality movies. 
    I really like the fact that they are pulling apart the process, like you said, and really understanding it to make it better. Hopefully you'll have some really brilliant selections there (bar one currently!)
    Let us know how it all looks when you've managed to grab that last project, and bravo to you for teaching this :D
  • SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
    Sounds great. Would love to know more about your general approach to using HitFilm in an educational context.
  • jma
    jma Posts: 84 Just Starting Out
    Long post.
    One of benefits of uning HF is that, in compositing at least, they can see some parallells between this in photoshop, which I also teach.
    I'm in an unusual position in that, as a country school (we are 7 hours from the nearest capital city) and our middle-school is another campus entirely, I only have these kids for their final two years while many other schools have them for 4. A lot of these guys have little to no media experience and still have to compete as their major media project is centrally marked as part of their Uni exam. This means a steep, sharp learning curve.
    Each school can choose it's own software and hardware, depending on it's budget, which has it's own problems re:equity. The Education department brought Premiere Elements for all schools but most are using Premiere Pro (as we were) or Final Cut X. Some schools are even using iMovie.
    Specifics:
    Dispite having simular colour tools as Prem, my lot are engaging with HF more in regards to colour grading. That may partly be because I've really pushed colour this year as well, but it's a noticable difference. I think that because changing the order the grade is done makes a big, noticable difference, the students need to deconstruct why they are doing each effect and what impact that has on everything done after it.
    Special effects. Semester 1 meant overload of effects at the expense of quality filmmaking. All the projects had excellent title sequences, but were structurally terrible (sorry kids, but you know). Second semester was a lot more restrained and they were using effects wisely. I saw a moderate amount of experimentation in most projects and some developing skill. Them making a composit is less intimidating to them than using After Effects and the online tutorials really help. Online tutorials also make fantastic relief lessons!
    Sound. I've said this time and time again, but last night really proved it. We had a few projects projected in the big theatre and sound system, and the discrepancies in sound levels were really noticable. It's much, much easier for the kids if they have a visual representation of their sound levels. That way I can say something like "make sure all our sound hits x mark" and it solves a lot of problems. Of all the possible sound controls HF is missing, this is the most important to us.
    Stability. Hit an miss. A lot of problems, I assume, are caused by our compulsary netwrok. Media files are stored locally, as is the program, but we still have issues. We get freezes often (at least once per project per hour, sometimes more). However, the support team at HF have been wonderful every step of the way.
    We have some issues with the cameras we already own. Although I have set them to 'progressive' , we are still getting interlace lines. The new cameras I have purchased don't have this problem, but we're not rich enough to buy all new equipment. Also some codec issues (H264) and bloody quicktime, but we've some work-arounds.
    Site licence would be amazing. Installing HF for single/domestic use is great. An entire computer lab is a different story.
    I haven't had much success convincing other schools to give it a go, but I'm working on it!