WHAT "SECRET DEVELOPMENT" ARE JOSH DAVIES AND KIRSTIE TOSTEVIN TALKING ABOUT IN THIS VIDEO ?

NatashaCorbanNatashaCorban Website User Posts: 8
edited December 2016 in General

Hey,

I just saw this video on youtube on the hitfilm channel : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqyLaL43wkw .

Now, skip to 3:10 . You will see that they start talking about some kind of secret development. What are they actually talking about ? Could you please give a hint ?

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,265 Ambassador

They gave enough hints. 

1) Something for the YouTube channel....

2) That will involve lots of tutorials...

3) And a major movie opens next week... Rogue One, a Star Wars story.

Conclusion: Star Wars Fan Film.  

• NatashaCorbanNatashaCorban Website User Posts: 8

Yes,but then they did mention that something else is also supposed to be released next week.

Does it have something maybe to do with some new Hitfilm Pro 2017 features/updates ?

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,265 Ambassador

Doubtful since Hitfilm Pro 2017 Update #1 went live today with several new workflow features, two new effects and updated functionality to older effects. 

https://hitfilm.com/software-update/hitfilm-pro-2017

The "something else" is Rogue One, as hinted at by using Star Wars music under the dialog, and the use of  Star Wars sound effects from the trailer. 

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

Due to significant contractual obligations Moderators are unable to reliably estimate the timing of future product releases, features, updates or tutorials related to as yet unreleased, unnamed or unidentifiable major motion picture releases. 

That's the legally convoluted way of saying we don;t know anymore than you do. :)

• DanielGWoodDanielGWood Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,021 Just Starting Out

They talk of days for which they sit and wait
    All will be revealed...

(Seriously though it's very exciting, gonna be a good week!)

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,297 Ambassador

Will there be a new face representing the Hitfilm YouTube Channel?

• StephansBilderweltStephansBilderwelt Website User Posts: 523

Santa Clause is coming soon, so maybe..... 

• JMcAllisterJMcAllister Website User Posts: 599 Just Starting Out

@DanielGWood that's a Led Zep lyric, right?

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,179 Moderator

Ah, yes... good ol' Kashmir...the Kush is optional these days, I suppose.  

Oh, to be in high school again...sigh...

• inScapeDigitalinScapeDigital Website User Posts: 715 Just Starting Out
    edited December 2016

Anyone else think it's the film we can see in progress in all of the promotional computer screens for HitFilm Pro? Possibly about a man and woman who look like they're escaping, shooting blasters at stormtroopers, then run outside and see an AT-AT?

Edit 12/16: Well how about that!

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast
    edited December 2016

@inScapeDigital Noooo it couldn't be related. That's just crazy talk ;)

• DanielGWoodDanielGWood Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,021 Just Starting Out
  • v3rlonv3rlon Website User Posts: 4

Well now that what was once known as "Next Week" is now "the week formerly known as "Next Week" AKA "This Week," spill the beans already.  

Rogue One Reviews are cropping up.  Can we at least get a review of this exciting new release?  Patience may be a virtue, but I pawned those things off so I could buy HitFilm 2017.  :P

@v3rlon Patience you must have, my young padawan

Star Wars Fan Film, AND a whole bunch of tutorials! It's not nice to overwhelm @AxelWilkinson like that! ;-) 

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,297 Ambassador

The short film looks really good, and the tutorials are very enjoyable!

Wow!  8 new videos to watch on the Hitfilm Channel all posted at once.  Good job all.  A lot of work went into that.

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,720 Ambassador

Of all the things I thought I might see today, the idea of @KirstieT polishing a stormtrooper codpiece wasn't on the list ;)

Just watched the short "Rebellion."  Impressive.  Most Impressive!  The production quality is excellent and the VFX shot of the room full of Stormtroopers was my favorite.  So far I have only watched the first tutorial but it was well done too.  I had no problem following the concepts at all.  I also noticed the color background behind the tutorial titles Orange/Red for Express and Blue for Pro tuts; that will be very helpful in searching through the channel from now on.

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff

@Triem23 - and now you know why I've not been on the forums much of late!

Thanks everybody! A load of work went into this project, and there is still more to come. Everyone did great, and the initial response has been quite positive. Your feedback is much appreciated.

• PalaconoPalacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,442 Enthusiast
    edited December 2016

Who is the guy crouching in the shadows @ 1:13 ;) and how is it in 4k when it's been made with Express?

Only other thing that confused me was  @ 1:50 they run left, then @ 1:51 they exit a structure which has two open ends. If only they'd turned right...

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff

@Palacono - they must've seen those TIE fighters when they looked right...

• IamJoshuaDaviesIamJoshuaDavies Staff Administrator Posts: 357 Staff

Haha, I can't believe you spotted Andy! We didn't. :D

While it wasn't obvious in this edit if they had turned right Darth Vader was standing right there!

Thanks for all the positivity guys, really means the world to us.

@AxelWilkinson @JoshDaviesCEO Maybe that's another tutorial or two right there: "How to fix up mistakes you didn't spot at shooting/editing time. "

Paste something over Andy when the light shows him for a few frames and track in something dark over the other entrance so it matches the previous scene. :)

• PaulHeshPaulHesh Website User Posts: 121 Just Starting Out

Well I downloaded this and hoped it would just magically install, but no luck I need a serial number. lol

https://hitfilm.com/software-update/ - Top of the list

Hesh

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,945 Enthusiast

Nice Star Wars film. Tis the season.

@AxelWilkinson is going to get carpal tunnel with all the tutorials and DOC updating going on. Then again he might be immune. Having one of those mechanical replacement hands.

edited December 2016

@Palacono @JoshDaviesCEO huh. Didn't catch the crew member myself... And between Clone Stamp, Camera Projection and Mocha, there are now fewer than three ways to remove him! 

But if you'd removed Andy, you'd have to remove the lamp posts atop the hill.

I'm going to assume a future tutorial will cover the impressive shot of the hanger full of Stormtroopers. For now I'll guess a particle system with several Quad Emitters using grid placement using greenscreen footage of Troopers as the particle source for the ranks. But is the set extension a full 3D model, projection, or 3D image planes? I'm guessing image planes.

"REBELLION" is also featured in today's Action VFX community blog (along with my own "Ghostbusters Go!" short) along some other excellent videos including Bat in the Sun's most recent "Superhero Beatdown."

I know there is a certain amount of PR 'glossing over' with everything, but it still could be explained to new (and old... but especially new) users how a 4k video was made with Express. Because you know they'll ask as so many cameras produce 4k video these days; especially cheap and cheerful action cameras, or the current generation of drones.

Does it means: "Made with Effects and features only found in Express"  or "Edited with 1080p proxy files (the 'other' sort) then had the files swapped for 4k versions and the project simply reloaded and exported from Pro" or "Using an internal  Express version that doesn't have the 1080p max video size limitation"?

But don't get me wrong: great video.  :D

edited December 2016

@Palacono we'll leave him in as an easter egg for the eagle-eyed.

Concerning the Express divide, almost all of what you see in Rebellion can be done in Express (as illustrated by the tutorials!). There are some things you may not be able to do in quite the same way (e.g. 3D models), so you'd have to find a way round that. Express didn't render the final export, which as you say is 4K, but this is more of a PR flourish - the short would still have been awesome in 1080p.

@PaulHesh I'm afraid HitFilm Toolkit Pack is a separate product - see https://hitfilm.com/forum/discussion/42121

@NormanPCN perhaps, but we can rebuild him; we have the technology.

@Triem23 hey, even Imperial troops need lamp posts! In a huge and varied galaxy it's possible some of their installations look like 1980s military bases..