how to motion track like in the video below

hi i looked on tutorials and could not find anything.

i want to do this effect. see vid below. skip to 0:39 stop at 0:44 ish.

thanks

Comments

• sorry i shoulda explained i meant like masking where you put another persons face over them. how do i do that effect in hitfilm thanks

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,096 Moderator
    edited November 2016

@marcocarlucci  I think, from a strictly amateur pint of view, that one could create a tracking point or even a double tracking point and link that track data to a point layer.  Then position it where you want to the head replacement to be and import a PNG of the head you want to show and link it to the point layer.  Of course, if the time is something short like your clip 39 sec to 44 secs, you could always go at it out school by export each individual frame (but it adds up quick; 24 for each sec) and use a photo program like GIMP to layer the head over on each frame and re import the sequence.  But one of the adepts here probably has a better way, so that's just my 2 cents worth. 

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Posts: 3,108 Expert

marcocarlucci : @tddavis3 is exaclty right! Here is my tutorial on how to track someone's face to add the "Witness Protection" effect. What you want to do would be the same idea except you would simply add a picture over the guy's face instead of the Witness Protection effect.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,069 Ambassador

If you were trying to track in VIDEO of a face over another face, the steps are the same as what tddavis and HitfilmSensi have already written, except you would put the overlay video in its own Composite Shot first, then stabilize (and mask), bringing the overlay into your main comp as an embedded composite shot, then parenting to the main track. 

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Posts: 3,108 Expert

@Triem23 That's a really good idea. I never thought about bringing a video in to overlay. I am not sure I have ever seen that done before, but then again, I haven't been looking for it either.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,069 Ambassador

Hollywood movies do it all the time. It's a lot harder to do video. To make it look right, you actually have to stablize the BG plate around the head you relpace, then have that available on set for reference when shooting the overlay, so you can track it back on.