3D Models, Camera Moves & Perspective Changes

StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador
edited August 2013 in Post-production techniques
Hi all!
I have created 2 3D models in Blender; one is a landscape and one is a building- both are .obj.
In H2U, I have been having a problem with getting the building to look like it's staying in one place as the camera pans from left to right revealing the building coming in from the right side of the screen.
I have tried both parenting the building directly to the landscape model- and- creating a 3D point, parenting that to the landscape and parenting the building to the 3D point. I think the building and landscape are fixed but the camera motion makes the building look like it's moving from out of position into the spot where it's needed on the landscape.
I also tried repositioning the 3D point and building's anchor points to match where I need them on the landscape and while the motion of the building was not as bad, there is still some slight drifting motion.
I have also tried checking and unchecking the Match Active Camera box in each model but admittedly, I'm not sure what
the Clip Window features do exactly. It takes about an hour for export time so this has been a very slow process.
I even tried getting creative and placed a grid over the top of the scene and made sure the building stayed in place while
re-keyframing it. But when I go to Active Camera, the building appears left of the place I need it on the landscape and finally lines up perfectly by the end of the camera movement. The building's placement changes with the perspective of the camera when the building is actually stationary.....from what I can tell from all angles.
There are no tracking options outside of Mocha and I haven't gotten into the Mocha end of things yet so I'm at a loss. Does Mocha track model to model i.e. can one model be tracked to place another model on it somewhere? 
Did I explain this okay?
Does anyone have a suggestion as to what else I could try?

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,278 Ambassador
    Hmmm. You can put multiple 3D models into the same 3D layer. Try putting your building model on the same layer as your ground layer. You can still individually move objects in a layer (you MIGHT have to do this with anchor points). Hitfilm cheats it's 3D space a little, but putting both models in one layer should lock them in the same space.
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    Sounds to me like your building isn't properly lined up with the ground plane in HitFilm.  Did you use one of the side views to make sure the base of your building is perfectly aligned with the ground plane  at 0 on the Y axis?
  • StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador
    edited August 2013
    Triem23- Yup, silly me. I didn't think to put the building and landscape on the same layer. It stayed in place right where it is needed and it looks sweeeeet! Cut down on rendering time too by about 20 mins. Thank you! :)
    Axel- The building has a cone shaped bottom which I was fitting over the top of a hill/mound in the landscape. I did use every angle + perspective view to line it up but the problem still persisted as I wasn't putting the building on the same layer as the landscape. I love the 3D environment HF has. I'm getting better at navigating through it and hope to have another vid to post soon.

You guys are awesome! Thanks again.