How do you import the whole Folders?

GreenAmoeba
GreenAmoeba Website User Posts: 4
edited November 2016 in Post-production techniques

I've made pre assets and trying to import it as a file but it seems like I'm only allowed to import by the img or mp4. I've already orgnized everything and don't want to re -orgnize it my importing everything one by one. is there a way to import image assets as a folders?

Comments

• Andersen01498
    Andersen01498 Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,003 Enthusiast

I agree, that would be nice...if there is a way I would like to know too.  I know in adobe premiere you can do that.

• GreenAmoeba

Is this function only for Hitfilm pro or is it just something all hitfilm suffers from?

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Website User Posts: 4,062 Enthusiast
    edited November 2016

The import function can import one or more items. Just select all the files you want to import.

If you want to import all files in a given folder then just

• Click import in Hitfilm
    • navigate to the folder in the file dialog
    • In the file dialog, press Ctrl+A (select all on Windows)
    • Click OK to close the dialog and import everything that was selected.

• GreenAmoeba

^ I am aware of importing files, it's just that it's (extremely)inconvenient that I always have to sort all the assets I've organized again when I import  them to Hitfilm(because, for some reason, hitfilm don't allow you to import the folders as it was organized). Or maybe there is a way but so far it seems like this is problem for everyone... I'm not sure if this is also the case for those who have Pro version.

• Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

@Killthegoat Have you tried getting things organized the way you want and saving the project so you can import it into other projects later?

• GreenAmoeba

Like importing Composite shot? I tried that, but I normally render them and import the rendered video of it. 

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,285 Ambassador

You can create new folders in the Media Bin in Hitfilm (if you use a standardized folder scheme, create the (empty) folders, then save the project for future use as a template).

Open your file browser. Open a folder and select all media. Left-click, hold, drag to Hitfilm on the task manager bar, then drop the files onto the proper media bin folder. 

• drivendaily
    drivendaily Website User Posts: 6

So there's no way to replicate my filesystem structure with one import function? My workflow is to organize footage in the filesystem, then I'd like to be able to take the entire shoot filestructure. From there I would like Hitfilm to create HitFilm folders in the MEDIA library and populate them with whatever footage/audio was in them. I would rather not have to manage file organization in HitFilm and my filesystem separately.

In an ideal world, the HitFilm and the filesystem would stay in sync, with regards to directory structure.

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,233 Ambassador

@drivendaily Sounds like an item for the wish list.

• taylorjc
    taylorjc Website User Posts: 0

@drivendaily @Triem23 @GreenAmoeba @Aladdin4d

In the latest version of Hitfilm/Hitfilm Express there is a way to create a folder in the media bin and you can then place media in there and be held.

You can do this by going to the Media Bin, selecting 'Folder' at the bottom left and then pressing 'F2' to rename it. (note: you must have the folder selected)

And then I simply dragged and dropped all of my SFX -as that's what my folder is for- and then I put the media from there onto my timeline. However, I am not sure whether it saves the folder as I have only just found this feature and posted it on here.

I know I am extremely late: but I sure hope this helped!

• TheBenNorris
    TheBenNorris Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,818 Staff

@taylorjc the folder in the media panel is just a virtual one, not a real folder - it simply helps organise your media in that panel. I don't think that's entirely the solution to what the above users were after, although this thread is 5 years old, so I'm going to close it now.

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!