My Star Wars Fan Film

RarityFilms
RarityFilms Website User Posts: 3 Just Starting Out

Hi everyone,  this is a short Stars Wars film I made using hitfilm. Im going to enter it in next years Star wars Fan Film awards.

Comments

• Rogyrue
    Rogyrue Website User Posts: 170 Just Starting Out

Well done that's about the best use of light savers , tracers and motion tracking I have seen here. Fight scene is very good , the headbut and mid air lightsavers activation are spot on . Not sure why people cant be bothered to give you a little feedback

IMO , Maybe some color grades are Luts to help with the sci if look would be good. And a little more time spent on props and costumes would take this to the next level

Good luck with the film awards

• RarityFilms

Thank you very much! Im glad you liked it. I like your idea about the color grading but as a beginner, messing with stuff like that seems scary haha

The props and costume issue is more of a money thing than time thing.

Thank you for your feedback 

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,381 Ambassador

Hmmmm. Next year's contest? I think you'll have time for a "polish" edit.

There's a lot of good here. You have a well-staged fight scene, most of the camera angles are well chosen, the Stormtrooper split screen is very smooth, and that gag where the Jedi Force Grabs a ricochet and redirects it into the Sith is a clever one I've not seen before.

There's also some room to clean up what you have. Visually, I think a couple of Simon Jones's tutorials on model compositing will help with the Starfighter, speeding up some of the fight by about 10-20% with the rate stretch tool will give the hits more impact and really make the choreography more brutal. Revisit your audio edit--when one character is six feet from another and you cut into a closeup, the lightsaber sound should drop in volume and not just cut out. And I agree with Alchemist about some grading.

There's a jump cut at 3:30 that just doesn't work. Do you have an alternate angle or close up of anything you can cheat there to break up the two wide shots? 

Make a duplicate project (Save As) to play with, that way, if you just get lost you can revert to the current edit. A little more time and love can take this from clever but flawed to really good! 

• Rogyrue
    Rogyrue Website User Posts: 170 Just Starting Out
    edited December 2016

Had a quick play with the first 30 seconds nothing polished  , added some  smoke heat distortion and  a few green screen effects and some new sounds :)

• Andy001z
    Andy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,014 Ambassador

Well not bad, ok there is room for improvement but its out there in the wild and a short story. So good on you.

• RarityFilms

Thanks everyone for the feedback and advice, Im new to film making and editing so I really appreciate all of it. I'll take it on board   

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,102 Ambassador

Duplicate comment removed. @camnhungdinh Your link was spammy and removed. Please refrain from posting to old threads and instead create a new discussion. This thread is now closed.

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!