Launching a new production company - Would love you guys to check it out please

DanielMorganDanielMorgan Website User Posts: 324 Just Starting Out
Hey guys, 
As some of you have seen, Iv'e been posting a load of VFX videos + break downs. Well this is because I've recently been commissioned to create these visuals, for international films, through a new production company that myself and my colleague are launching called Table 3 Media -
ntm0.png
I would really appreciate it if you guys could help us out and like our FB page and maybe check out our website? We've worked hard on it and I'd love to release some our future projects here on Hitfilm, for you all to check out. Any way, here's our show reel to hopefully entice you - https://vimeo.com/66962963
Here's our website - http://www.table3media.com/ 
FB Page - https://www.facebook.com/table3media?ref=hl
We've found it really tough launching this company, though thoroughly enjoyable at the same time. Its really nice to see it all come together. I'm hoping to put together a bit of a blog post here so  everyone can see whats going on and how where advancing, maybe it will be of interest to people thinking about setting up a similar business. 
I hope you don't think I'm just using this forum as a cheap marketing tool, I've been a member here for nearly 2 years, I'm really looking forward to showing you all our upcoming projects. 

Comments

• MatthiasClaflinMatthiasClaflin Website User Posts: 674 Just Starting Out
    Hey good looking showreel you got therer. Sounds like an exciting road you have ahead of you. I was looking at your website, and on your home page, for whatever reason, the "3" in the second paragraph in the middle column is in a weird place. Maybe it's just my browser (Internet Explorer), but you may want to check on that.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    All looking pretty good! That's a nicely varied showreel, certainly shows a lot more versatility than reels from similar setups I've seen in the past.
    A couple of hopefully useful observations:
    - I really don't like the grey buttons on your website. The rest of the design is really nice, with the yellow-gold on black style. The bulbous grey gradient buttons just don't fit, and feel like template buttons from the late 90s. Given the rest of the website is so stylish and slick, I'd suggest rethinking the button design.
    - The front page of the website has 'Home' as its title, so in a browser tab you don't really know what it is. Change it to 'Table 3 Media'.
    - This one is going to sound silly and immature, but I thought I'd mention it anyway. The Table 3 Media logo is a little bit.....phallic. This may just be my smutty mind, but it's kinda emphasised by your ident, in which the underline extends out from the 3 - increasing the phallic nature of the logo. On the website you use the logo in other ways, without the extended line, and it looks great - in the main copy and in the thumbnail of the front page video - but the ident at the end of the showreel.....risks being a bit penisy.
    I know that sounds very silly, but it's something I'm always quite conscious of when designing logos or coming up with product/company names etc. You don't want to end up on one of those "unfortunate logo" round-up lists a few years down the line.
    Or, as I say, it could just be my dirty mind.
    Anyway, good stuff - do keep posting your work, it doesn't feel spammy at all. Always good to see what people are up to, and I'm sure others would love to know more about the practicalities of setting up a production company.
  • DanielMorganDanielMorgan Website User Posts: 324 Just Starting Out
    edited August 2013
    - This one is going to sound silly and immature, but I thought I'd mention it anyway. The Table 3 Media logo is a little bit.....phallic. This may just be my smutty mind, but it's kinda emphasised by your ident, in which the underline extends out from the 3 - increasing the phallic nature of the logo. On the website you use the logo in other ways, without the extended line, and it looks great - in the main copy and in the thumbnail of the front page video - but the ident at the end of the showreel.....risks being a bit penisy.

Well that sir, that has made my day. Hahaha, well even though I... don't see it, thanks to that, I'm only going to think of penises when I see the logo ;) I... kinda don't see any phalic symbol arising (no pun intended) in the logo :P But yeah, I'l be writing up about all the practicalities and  problems that we face etc, should be a fun ride!
    Oh and Matthias, I just went to check on that, I don't see it on mine. I will have to check it on IE when I get a chance, thanks for that though. Oh and thanks for all the other feedback Simon, I'm sure our website will develop and chance over time. 

edited August 2013
    Just so you can see what I see, here is a screen grab.

9622449521_8e464affb0_b.jpg
    I didn't think about it before, but having your name/logo in three places on the main page is a bit redundant isn't it?
    edited August 2013
    Just so you can see what I see, here is a screen grab.

9622449521_8e464affb0_b.jpg
    I didn't think about it before, but having your name/logo in three places on the main page is a bit redundant isn't it?

Well maybe, though in fairness, the one logo to the right is the start of our promo video & the welcome banner is ...well a banner more than our logo.  Thanks for that post though, now I can see the 3 is out of place, it isn't oddly enough on my browser chrome - what screen size you have there Matthias? Probably be the fact that the site was written in HTML 5 and IE has little to no support for it.

My screen resolution is 1920x1200 and in chrome everything looks fine. I've recently switched over to IE after having some issues with chrome.
  • RossTrowbridgeRossTrowbridge Website User Posts: 423 Enthusiast
    Matthias,
    I was having issues with Chrome, too. It would freeze anywhere from 10 seconds to locking the system up. Turns out the newest updates to Chrome have a conflict with older RealTek drivers. Once I downloaded the current RealTek driver, the pauses stopped. The same thing happened with Firefox, but it's working fine now, too.
    Yes, trying to optimize the site for both chrome and IE has been a bit of a pain. I'm not a web designer, so I'm learning as I go along.
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,254 Ambassador
    @Simon: Now I can never unsee the phallus. Oh well, I did the logo design for a company, Obelisk Media, and, of course I have an Obelisk forming the "l" in Obelisk and the "i" in Media--I have been teased about the "phallusy," but, Obelisk Media. Whatcha gonna do?
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,254 Ambassador
    @Daniel: you know, not only do you have four logos on your front page, but you have two fonts and three different color treatments. A logo should be consistent for brand identity, and I would recommend locking your font down at least. The repetition of the logo didn't bother me that much, but the differences in font jumped out at me.
  • KirstieTKirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 1,055 Staff
    edited September 2013
    Kudos to you on what you're doing Daniel - being commissioned to set up visuals by other companies is impressive and hopefully your production company will go from strength to strength!
    I must say though, I do generally agree with the comments above (ha ha - although Simon, I don't quite see the phallic symbol myself. At least I didn't before!)
    Some thoughts I had:
    1) I agree that definitely the tab label needs to be changed from 'Home' to Table 3 Media - and also, if you can reduce your URL's to look a little more clean (maybe remove the #!home/c11v0 from your homepage for instance) then it would just make it look more streamlined.
    2) In relation to the quote by Triem23:
    @Daniel: you know, not only do you have four logos on your front page, but you have two fonts and three different color treatments. A logo should be consistent for brand identity, and I would recommend locking your font down at least. The repetition of the logo didn't bother me that much, but the differences in font jumped out at me.
    . . . . . I do also have a bit of an issue with the many versions of your logo. I personally really like the compact logo (non-gradient version) - but having Table3Media three times on the homepage is quite distracting. It feels a little like a bombardment, and a confusing brand identity as they are all different.
    Of course, there is nothing wrong with having alterations of your logo, but usually that's with different pieces of software within one company (e.g. Adobe's different programs, or FXhome's).
    As a corporate logo for a production company it is best to stick to just one to avoid confusion, and ensure it works well in all situations.
    >>By the way, I know you said that the gradient version is more of a banner than a logo, but it doesn't really feel that way to me - it looks like another logo (but that is just my opinion)
    3) By removing one of the logos from the top of your website I think it could pack a good punch. I also REALLY like the drop down banner you have in the middle of your content headers. Again, this is another version of your logo, but less obvious.
    4) Just so you know, I'm using Chrome and I'm experiencing no presentation issues with the website.
    Sorry to have comments on this thread picking apart your website - but it sounds like you've got a great thing going here and as a long term member of the community, we just want to help out with some personal opinions about the website presentation. Good luck! :)
    edited September 2013
    Thanks Triem and Kristie, I kinda agree with most of the points you've raised. Most of the issues with the website are coming from my inexperience with web design. We initially had plans to hire a web designer, but a string of issues meant that I had to do the web design myself.
    The URL's are actually fixed, but google takes time to update their rankings so should be sorted within the next month. I'm working on fixing the banner to fit more with the branding on the main logo.
    Also no worries, I set up the thread fully aware that the brunt of the comments would be constructive criticism and making fun of my penisy logo. Ok, maybe not the logo part ;) - All very useful stuff :) 
  • KirstieTKirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 1,055 Staff
    Haha - well rest assured a penisy logo wasn't where my mind first went :)
    Good luck with the website and the company - as I said, looks like you've got a really great platform and showreel there. 
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    Just saying...Google for 'unfortunate logos'. ;)
    Really, it's only the animated version of the logo that made my pendar activate. But it is pretty minor, so probably not something to worry unduly about. But if the logo evolves over time, might be something to keep in the back of your mind.