Shock Wave Help

LiamMrK2LiamMrK2 Website User Posts: 77
I am doing a shock wave effect for my video. I do not need the shock wave to start, I want it to be already part way through the process before it is seen. Lowering the opacity will not work because I need it to be at the certain point during a certain point of the film. Is there a way I can put a part way shock wave into a video instead of including the whole process?

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,303 Ambassador
    I am not on a computer with Hitfilm at the moment, but: normal particle Simulator layers have a "Time Shift" option in the General properties to start a particle sim before the shot begins. Since a Shockwave is basically a particle preset, it might have that option. Alternatively, since I assume your shot comes in mid-shockwave, I bet you could grab the Shockwave and slide it left on the timeline so that the beginning of the Shockwave is before your frame zero.
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,303 Ambassador
    Oh! Try using the razor/blade/split tool to split the Shockwave where you want it to start, then delete the beginning part. That might work. Otherwise, the last suggestion I have is build one from scratch with a circle emitter.
  • LiamMrK2LiamMrK2 Website User Posts: 77
    Thanks, I am only an express user and the split tool causes both clips to restart.

The time shift may work thanks!

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    Another option, without looking at HitFilm, is to put the shockwave in its own composite shot, then just trim the start of the comp on your main timeline.
    And I bow to the master.
    Haha, thanks Axel!

I am basically trying to make a ray gun with multiple rings from the shock wave just scaled bigger and bigger, any ideas on how to do that exactly, besides what has already suggested. Is there an easier way to go about it?

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    You could do it with a particle system, with the trajectory set to Target.  Or Cone, with a very narrow angle.  Then use a ring-shaped texture, and make sure to turn off Billboarding in the appearance, and in the Lifetime panel, keyframe the Size so that the particles get larger over their lifetime.  I'd guess you'll want between 2 and 10 particle per second, then set the target at the location of whatever you are shooting at.
    I only have Express