Laggy preview

MihaGyergyek
MihaGyergyek Website User Posts: 6

I am editing 1080p videos and the preview is super laggy.

I am editing on a laptop with these specs:

CPU: i5-5200U

GPU: Geforce 940m

8 GB RAM

265 GB SSD

Windows 10 Home

Is the problem in hardware or something else?

Comments

• Andy001z
    Andy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,979 Ambassador

Ok this is most likely to do with your CODEC (the format of your video file), it most probably is compressed and it is that compression that is causing the judder. You need to learn about changing your media to an uncompressed format, with a program like SteamCip to DNXHD, check out the following discussion on this subject.

https://hitfilm.com/forum/discussion/39523/laggy-video

• MihaGyergyek
    edited November 2016

I downloaded the Avid Codec LE, but there is nothing in the Avid folder. How does this work?

• Andy001z
    Andy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,979 Ambassador

Hmm I think you will need some software to drive the converstion from your orginal format to the new DNXHD format, the Avid Codec LE is what is used by that software to write the new file type. As I mentioned above you need Steamclip or something else other than Hitfilm, which does not offer the conversion. Hitfilm also (I believe) don't use the DNXHD writing becuase of licence costs. Hope that helps.

• MihaGyergyek

Well, I converted one of my files to .mov, put it in Hitfilm aaand the playback is worse. I'll figure something else out. Thanks for your help.

• Andy001z

just changing the type wknt help ifs the compression thaf eeally matters. good luck.

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Website User Posts: 4,063 Enthusiast

"Well, I converted one of my files to .mov,"

MOV what? MOV is a generic file format and says nothing about the contents. The exact contents format are everything.

Did you convert to DNxHD, Prores or something else? For example, AVC/H.264 video in Quicktime MOV does suck performance wise relative to AVC in MP4 files on Windows.

Maybe you can give us a MediaInfo report of your source files to help diagnose.

• MihaGyergyek

@NormanPCN

Ah, thank you. Now that i encoded the file as DNxHD, the playback is much better.

• Andy001z
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!