How to Fix slow and laggy video preview

TR8R
TR8R Website User Posts: 3

Hey guys,

I was trying to edit my project for my english class, and as I try to preview the FPS drops heavily. I was wondering if there is an option I can change to stop this lagging

Thanks

Comments

• THX1139
    THX1139 Website User Posts: 545 Just Starting Out

What is the encoding format of the video (not just the three letter extension? Some formats are very CPU-intensive to decode and some are much easier. I'm still a total video-editing noob myself but if your footage is AVCHD .mts then you'll definitely want to transcode it to something like DNxHD .mov. You can do that really easily with a free program called Shotcut - there are many alternatives but that the one I prefer.

If you don't know the format of the file something called Mediainfo will tell you http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo - after launching it you can right click on a file and select Mediainfo then choose the Tree option from the View  menu. You could copy and paste the information here for more help.

If your problem is something else, hopefully someone else will be able to help.

• TR8R
    TR8R Website User Posts: 3

I think your right THX1139, but the download for Shotcut isnt working, so what are some of the Alternate converters.

• tddavis
    tddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,560 Moderator
    edited October 2016

@TR8R  WHich version did you try to download?  I've got the Win64 downloading right now?  There's a setting for the preview window at the top that lets you adjust the resolution of the preview as well.  It might help a little if it's not the file type issue.  I have been setting mine for 1/4 output (only putting it to full when I'm not playing the timeline)

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!