Inserting the same thing into the media list more than once? Why?

THX1139
THX1139 Website User Posts: 545 Just Starting Out

I've noticed that you can import the same file into the media tab list more than once. Does that have a legitimate function? If not, I think it should check and reject things that are already in the media pool.

Comments

• Palacono
    Palacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,445 Enthusiast

A 'Clean Project Media' option to get rid of things not actually used in the Editor or a Composite has been suggested before - very useful in Sony Vegas/Movie Studio - but can't hurt adding your suggestion to the wishlist again. The more the merrier. One day we're hoping Hitfilm gets Scopes.

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Website User Posts: 4,063 Enthusiast

"Does that have a legitimate function?"

It can. If you change the media playback rate, e.g. SloMo, you can have a media panel item dedicated to that adjustment.

I would be all for a remove unused media feature in Hitfilm. Not like that is a complicated thing to implement.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,005 Ambassador

As Norman already noted there's a couple of valid reasons to be able to insert two copies of  the same media file into the media bin. 

But... Ok, let's assume for a moment we're working on a project with lots of generated media. Say, several planes with fractal noise and gradients. You don't have to create a seperate plane for each layer of generated media, instead, dragging copies of ONE plane from the media bin to the timeline and adding effects. 

Just a workflow observation. That way one doesn't end up with 375 "New Planes" in the Media Panel. 

• tddavis
    tddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,560 Moderator

@Palacono   Hitfilm is my first foray into the VFX world, previously I was using Pinnacle Studio for editing which had none of the features I craved.  I assume "scopes" is something in Vegas or AE.  Could you explain what and where it is for this noob?