Bug: trying to move the white play line/head within a clip takes a very long time (30-60s)

THX1139
THX1139 Website User Posts: 545 Just Starting Out
edited October 2016 in HitFilm

I have a bug and I think I know how to partially resolve it (but don't know what caused it in the first place).

When I try to move the white vertical line on the timeline, I have to wait for a long time for the action to complete. Express will be unresponsive during this time and Task Manager will show very little CPU usage. I can move the white vertical line to the ends of clips using Page up/down, Home and End and these actions will complete instantly unless the line ends in the middle of a video clip due to an audio clip starting or ending within a video clip.

The solution or work around to resolve the problem for the video files is to right/context click on the affected video sources in the Media tab and select 'Relink...'. The choose the correct video file. Do this for each affected clip. But this isn't working for all the audio files. I re-link those and the problem remains that if I try to place the white vertical line inside an affected audio clip, it takes a very long time to move there.

Could this be related to working on the project with QuickTime Alternative 1.81 installed and now trying to continue with QuickTime 7 installed?

Comments

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Website User Posts: 4,063 Enthusiast
    edited October 2016

If the "white line" you are talking about is the playhead then you can get better performance here by disabling the option to play audio when scrubbing the timeline. That option is in the options dialog (File menu). 

IMO we don't need to hear that audio when dragging the playhead. Actually I would prefer if Hitfilm had two ways to drag the playhead like other editors but I digress. (One drag type never plays audio and also snaps to timeline edges)

• THX1139
    edited October 2016

I've disabled the audio while scrubbing but it hasn't helped. The problem occurs then I move the playhead without dragging it but just going to a different place in the timeline and clicking at the top of the timeline. The program then needs 30-60 seconds to move to the place and is unresponsive during this time. I didn't used to be like this.

Edit: I created a new project file, added some of my media to its timeline and then went back to my main project without saving and it's working as normal. It will probably stop working again soon! >:(

• THX1139
    edited October 2016

The problem hasn't gone away. It's not even clear what triggers it. Sometimes it happens when I try to make the playhead jump from one place to another, other times that's fine and it happens when I try to play the timeline in the preview window. I've uploaded a screen capture to YouTube. You can see it here but you can't really tell anything is happening. The mouse cursor shows the usual arrowhead instead of the spinning circle that normally indicates a program is too busy to response. The point is though, Express keeps stopping responding for about 60 seconds.

https://youtu.be/QnC0QsuhVoE

• THX1139
    edited October 2016

Okay, I think deleting the cache fixed it but I could be wrong. 

Edit: I restarted my PC and the bug is back. This sucks! :'(

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Website User Posts: 4,063 Enthusiast
    edited October 2016

@THX1139 Well, the Hitfilm cache may have a lot of files created within it. Looking at your videos I notice that most of the audio files are 44.1K sample rate. Hitfilm defaults to a 48K sample rate. I know that Hitfilm saves resamples of audio that have a different sample rate than the current project sample rate in the cache. So maybe there is something weird going on with the cache on your installation. 

If your project is set to 48K and most/all of your audio is 44.1 you can try changing the project to 44.1, clearing the cache, save project, restart Hitfilm and then seeing if everything works okay from that point forward.

Anyway, if your audio is 44.1 it seems reasonable to stick with that sample rate anyway.

• FlyingBanana78
    FlyingBanana78 Website User Posts: 434 Enthusiast

@THX1139 does it do it both in the composition and editor or just in the the editor playhead? And in the composition layout if you ram preview and let it preview for a bit, are you able to smoothly drag the playhead back and forth smoothly between the section that is in ram preview? Also I see you have a composition in the tab to the right of the editor is there any proxies going with the clips you are using between the composite and the editor clips?

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,991 Ambassador

Besides possible compositing slowdown from composite shots, what's the source footage. You might have AVCHD or other high-overhead mp4 variant. Conversion to DNxHD/ProRes, or optimized mp4 might help. Also, what are your viewer settings at? Turn down to quarter-res for improved responsiveness. 

• THX1139

NormanPCN I changed the project to 44.1K audio sample rate, cleared the cache and saved and restarted but unfortunately the problem persists.

FlyingBanana78 It affects both the editor and the composit shot window, if I make one for an affected clip. If I make a RAM preview, the RAM preview seems to be made easily enough, but the playing still halts after a few seconds and stays stuck for about 60 seconds. Scrubbing is fine though. I can scrub back and forth just fine but not play. This contrasts with my first post where even just placing the playhead in the track would make it hang.

Triem23 All the files I'm using have been transcoded to DNxHD .mov and the problem is not restricted to composite clips; it seems to affect everything, including .wav sound clips.

• THX1139

NormanPCN I changed the project to 44.1K audio sample rate, cleared the cache and saved and restarted but unfortunately the problem persists.

FlyingBanana78 It affects both the editor and the composit shot window, if I make one for an affected clip. If I make a RAM preview, the RAM preview seems to be made easily enough, but the playing still halts after a few seconds and stays stuck for about 60 seconds. Scrubbing is fine though. I can scrub back and forth just fine but not play. This contrasts with my first post where even just placing the playhead in the track would make it hang.

Triem23 All the files I'm using have been transcoded to DNxHD .mov and the problem is not restricted to composite clips; it seems to affect everything, including .wav sound clips.

• THX1139

I've determined that the problem was due to an issue with the drive that I was using for Hitfilm cache. I've side-stepped that problem and now everything seems to work as it's meant to.

• Palacono
    Palacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,445 Enthusiast

@THX1139 what was the issue and how did you resolve it?

• THX1139

Palacono I'm not sure what the issue was exactly but when the conditions

1. SATA mode set to RAID in BIOS
    2. OCZ Vertex 2 60 GB SSD connected to motherboard

were met, the above SSD caused slowdowns during boot, shutdown, sleep, wake, maybe any time it was accessed causing the Hitfilm cache issue. The drive behaved fine when SATA mode was set to AHCI.

I don't know whether the fault lies with ASUS the motherboard manufacturer, Intel the chipset manufacturer or OCZ, the drive manufacture, I couldn't find any advice to get closer to the root of the issue and so I just side-stepped it by connecting the drive to my PCI-E SATA expansion card. Hitfilm seems to perform as expected now.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,991 Ambassador

Well. If you have a single SSD the RAID (Redundant Array of Individual Drives) setting was the issue. You can't have a RAID with a single drive. 

• THX1139

Triem23 I don't think all the drives on the controller need to be in a RAID in order to use the RAID setting. I have two drives connected which are in RAID 0. All the other non-RAID drives (I have a few) behaved just fine and they behaved fine on my previous motherboard also. My system drive is a lone SSD attached to the same controller as my RAID 0 HDDs.

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!